Breastfeeding Mums & Periods

Options
philly1980
philly1980 Posts: 25 Member
I'm coming up to 13 months and I still haven't got it again!

Is this normal? I thought generally by 12 months you had it back.

Not that I'm complaining, just surprised :)

Replies

• jprid88
    jprid88 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My cousin went longer! And she ended up pregnant to which we all thought was odd.
  • courtfort
    courtfort Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your body. mine always comes back fast but a friend of mine didn't get hers for over a year.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    So envious. I am 6 weeks post partum on Tuesday and started my period three days ago and I am running to the bathroom every two hours. I HATE IT! Not breastfeeding though.
  • jccretarolo
    jccretarolo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    With #1 and #2 I got it back at 6 months, with #3 it was 13 months, now #4 is 6 months old and while I have had spotting I have yet to have a period and hope it stays away until he is over a year!
  • theoddlittleduck
    theoddlittleduck Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I breastfed exclusively with both kids and had it back at 5-6 weeks with both (and was ovulating, regular 28 day cycles, etc).

I guess feeding my first literally 18x a day and my second a more reasonable 10x a day was enough that my body thought it'd be a great time to have another :P
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    with #1 i got it after 3 months...
    with #2 i had it for 4 months strait(oi), and i havent had it since but im also breastfeeding and i have a bc implant now
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I believe it is normal. I breastfed my son who is 16 months now for 12 months and I got my period back when I was only 3 month post partum so I think it depends on the person!
  • Pennhotmom
    Pennhotmom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My son will be 15 months next week and I have not gotten mine back and I YES I am certain that I am not pregnant. With my daughter it didn't return until she was almost 18 months and we were only nursing once a day at that point. I am so hoping I at least get the same this time.
  • helynn1217
    Options
    with my first baby, i never got a period- just got pregnant when she was 9 months old (i breastfed her)
    my 2nd baby is 11 months old- i exclusively nursed til 5 months- nurse him 3x a day- still no period.

are you taking birth control? I got an IUD (paragard- the one with no hormones)
  • DeannaJoKilla
    DeannaJoKilla Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My LO is 10.5 months and I have had 1 AF, about 4 months ago. So weird.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had my 4th baby four months ago. With the first I was pumping exclusively and got my period at 8 months post partum (I had cut down on pumping during a move and never could increase my supply again--got my period shortly after). With the second and third I was nursing at home/pumping at work. I got my period the week of their first birthdays. I'm hoping for the same this time around.
  • chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got my first one and I pump at work and breast feed at home, my son is five weeks old.
  • kristinL16
    Options
    chamcmillan--are you sure that you are not just still having postpartum bleeding? It can stop or slow for a few days then start up again.

With my first child, I EP'ed for 8-9 months. By that time I was not pumping during the night and usually only about 4-5 times a day, I think. Around 8 months post partum we moved and I had a few days where I only pumped once or twice. My milk supply tanked and I could not get it back. Got my period a few weeks later.

With my second and third children I pumped at work and breastfed at home. I got my period within a week of their first birthdays, even though I was still nursing. I am currently breastfeeding my fourth child (almost 8 months) and assume that I will get my period around his birthday but who knows. He is not sleeping through the night.
  • chamcmillan
    Options
    chamcmillan--are you sure that you are not just still having postpartum bleeding? It can stop or slow for a few days then start up again.

With my first child, I EP'ed for 8-9 months. By that time I was not pumping during the night and usually only about 4-5 times a day, I think. Around 8 months post partum we moved and I had a few days where I only pumped once or twice. My milk supply tanked and I could not get it back. Got my period a few weeks later.

With my second and third children I pumped at work and breastfed at home. I got my period within a week of their first birthdays, even though I was still nursing. I am currently breastfeeding my fourth child (almost 8 months) and assume that I will get my period around his birthday but who knows. He is not sleeping through the night.

I just realized that I had a miss type lol. I meant to say my son is five months old :-)
  • chamcmillan
    Options
    I got my first one and I pump at work and breast feed at home, my son is five weeks old.

I had a miss type ladies. My son is actually five months old not five weeks. I was typing to fast :-)
  • kristinL16
    Options
    Ok, that makes more sense! :)

Of course last night I was having some cramps (which I know can be normal, and doesn't necessarily lead to getting your period or ovulating) and I was hoping that I didn't jinx myself by posting on this thread. :) I want to keep the period at bay as long as possible!

Someone upthread said that their relative got pregnant before getting their period--that is totally possible because you have to ovulate prior to getting your period. So, if you would have sex during that period of time you could definitely get pregnant without having a period. If you are using breastfeeding as birth control make sure that ALL of the following apply to you:

1) Baby is less than 6 months old
    2) There are no more than 4 hours between feedings during the day and 6 hours at night
    3) You haven't gotten your period yet
    4) You are exclusively bresatfeeding (no supplementation or solids)
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mine have come back at 10.5 months, 15 months, and 18 months. Crossing fingers it'll take that long again this time with baby #4 :)
  • lbelle987
    lbelle987 Posts: 97
    Options
    I went 15 months without it after my son.
  • cmgt7
    cmgt7 Posts: 4
    Options
    I got pregnant at 12 months postpartum both times, while still bf-ing and never having gotten a period. I haven't had one since 2007, lol
  • Stroupester
    Stroupester Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just got mine back and LO is almost 14 months.