Weight loss pattern

Options
golferd
golferd Posts: 400 Member
I am curious of your weight loss patterns. I am on the scale multiple times a day. My weight fluctuates by as much as 4-8 lbs between different days. I only record new lows. I might hit a low and then 3 weeks later before I see a new low.

I still cant find the amount of calories to make a steady loss every week. My loss is so slooooooooooowwwwww.

Replies

• amandamotley
    Options
    I'm only on the 3rd week, so who knows if this will change, but I've gained 2 lbs so far. My weight also fluctuates pretty heavily, so I'm not concerned about it, and I also only record new lows. I'm going to Italy next week, so I don't want to make any major changes to my diet right now, but when I get back I'm going to do some experimenting with increasing my calorie intake. I'm still coming in below what Insanity recommends.
  • mezz3329
    mezz3329 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself multiple times a day? You should choose one time and make it the same time every week. Preferably in the morning after you wake up and use the bathroom. That's when your weight will be correct. No food in your system or anything. And if you are doing insanity or any weight loss program you should be concerned with inches not a weight number. I totally stopped weighing myself and now I am more concerned with how clothes fit and such.... Don't fall into the self deflating societal norm or weight loss.
  • johnscortes
    Options
    Thanks man your right,.. I notice my body is different,and changing, although I had fast weight loss the first two weeks it seem to have slowed down to a stop and then fluctuates up and down..
  • mezz3329
    mezz3329 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes you are correct. After about two weeks your body adapts to the stress you are placing on it and it becomes more difficult to lose weight. Really controlling your diet and water consumption is key.
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    ^ THIS yeaup.. Im barely 4 days into Month 2 of Insanity and I lose weight sooooo super sloooooooow too, no joke.. and yes, I give it my all. I can pretty much keep up with them with minimal breaks.. but as for my body other than muscle no real FAT has melted off just yet.. And my weight goes up and down 5 pounds per wk.. I hear its just water gain tho so yea... which sucks! Cuz I started at 140 5 months ago and then I get down to 136 and then always jumps back up to 140 :/ lame
    GONNA KEEP DIGGIN DEEPER THO!
  • DestroyTheOpposition
    DestroyTheOpposition Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The weight loss was really slow for me... the inches were just melting off. Till the last 2 weeks.. then boom! Weight started falling off. Doing it all over again tomorrow. Took a week off to recoup.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Why are you weighing yourself multiple times a day? You should choose one time and make it the same time every week. Preferably in the morning after you wake up and use the bathroom. That's when your weight will be correct. No food in your system or anything. And if you are doing insanity or any weight loss program you should be concerned with inches not a weight number. I totally stopped weighing myself and now I am more concerned with how clothes fit and such.... Don't fall into the self deflating societal norm or weight loss.

Wow, I wasnt aware that everyone had to follow your goals. My goal is to lose weight!!!!! If I lose weight my inches will change. I understand your point if I had a low body fat percentage, that weight is less important. However, my body fat is 20%+, and my eyes help me understand I need to lose weight everytime I look in the mirror.

Maybe your blessed and see new lows every week. That is not the case for myself. I go sometimes weeks with never seeing a new low, and with such a slow loss pace I prefer 20+ chances ( multiple times a day) to see a new low in a week vs 1.
  • nikkialexis23
    Options
    weight loss is only 40% your workout and 60% what you eat (wether its too much or too little ) i would say if you are giving your all in your workout, change your food :)
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Of course you gain 4-8 lbs during the day. Eventually the food in your stomach has to be accounted for. It sounds like you have an unhealthy obsession.
  • niceguy4186
    niceguy4186 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 and half weeks in and here are my numbers. I weigh myself first thing in the morning. Overall i'm down 3.5lbs in 17 days, which is exactly where I should be given my average of 727 calories/day deficit (I'm a numbers guy). Hopefully I can keep this trend going.

0.00 - 199 lbs
    (2.40)
    (1.00)
    (0.80)
    (1.00)
    (0.40)
    (0.40)
    (1.30)
    (0.50) - 195.5 lbs
  • crrobinson85
    Options
    Basically, the movements (or lack thereof) that you are seeing could be due to a number of reasons:

1) Your body is in shock or starvation mode: If you're like me, you went from 0-100; a couch potatoe straght to Insanity, no chaser. Prior to Insanity, I tried to eat around 1300-1500 calories/day. Keeping that same caloric intake while beginning Insanity, my body went into shock or starvation mode and started holding onto everything I ate. I was expending between 600-800 calories per workout, depending on the workout, my body used approx 1400 to maintain normal bodily functions and then I was capping my calories from food at 1600. If you do the math, my net was well under 1200 calories and my body went into starvation mode so that it could cope with the stress of the exercise. The result was the opposite of what I needed and this could be what your experiencing since you mentioned that you are under the recommended calorie intake Insanity requires.

2) Water retention: you should do your best to consume at least 8 glasses of water, but try not to overdue it. Too much water can cause bloating and thus, excess weight gain. So be careful here.

3) Muscle tissue is replacing fat tissue: this is a good thing! Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you saw the scale go down and then go back up the next day or so, it could very well be muscle tissue replacing fat tissue, and that's something we all want.

4)The time of day that you weigh yourself: believe it or not, it does make a difference. I have to agree with the one commenter and would politely suggest that you, at least, weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you have gone to the bathroom (step 1 & 2). This IS your true weight. I know the temptation is there to weigh yourself often, but I would suggest that you do so first thing in the morning if you would like to weigh yourself everyday. Personally, I try to weigh myself no more than 2x a week even if I want to do it more often, but that's just me. Everyone, as you expressed, is different in their needs.

The only other thing that I would suggest to you is to stick to the calories that Insanity requires that you take in. Putting your body into starvation mode defeats the purpose of the program. Don't be afraid to up those calories. However, when you do so, do make sure to keep with macronutrients ratio: 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. Also, try to consume natural, complex carbs from fruits and veggies. I have my blueberry buckwheat pancake 1-2x a week, but after that I do my best to stick to fruits and veggies. I don't even think pasta is part of the nutrition plan.

I hope this advice is helpful to you. Keep pushing. You WILL reach your goal. Remember, that it starts up top first. Try not to pysch yourself out by the movement of the scale. Think positive, like "bye bye fat, hello muscle!" At least that's what I do.

My results: I've lost 6 lbs and I'm in week 4 (well supposed to be almost finished with week 4; didn't start the week off w/ a good night's rest, so I've been messed up for the last 5 days). Anyway, I started off 20lbs over the average weight for my age, gender and height and my body fat percentage was 26-27%. I would weigh myself everyday first thing in the morning and the scale would move up and down as well. I did my research and realized that I had put my body into starvation mode. I increased my calories to 1780, keeping the macronutrient ratio, and the weight and inches started to come off. Even on the days I don't work out, I still lose inches and don't gain weight. The program works, we just have to follow it to the T (no pun intended).