What are you eating?

Options
mommyJto3
mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
No seriously, what are you eating? :). Im finding it hard to pack my breakfast/lunch/snacks for work these days without feeding my face for the entire day. I used to eat high protein/low carb, and realize I should not do that with baby inside. But, I have been using the 'im pregnant' excuse lately and eating junk.

give me some of your go to ideas for what you ladies take to work!

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    It depends, I go out to eat too much. But today I took homeade sloppy joes that I made. I also had greek yogurt and mandarin oranges, and I brought nature valley bars for snacks since I won't get home until 7.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Here's what I have for today:

Breakfast (which I had at home but is also quite portable): I had 2 boiled eggs, strawberries & pineapple, 100g vanilla yogourt, 1 c grapefruit juice. (That's what I have almost every day, although some times I make an omlet with veg and cheese and omit some fruit to balance out the cals.)

AM snack: baby carrots and cucumber with 2 Tbsp hummus

Lunch: 1c Quinoa salad from Costco, 50g baked boneless, skinless chicken breast mixed in, 1 apple.

PM snack: Greek yogourt with honey (pre-packaged)

Some days I bring salads for lunch with chicken or a bit of tuna for protein, trail mix/nuts, granola bars, crackers, cut up fruit/veg, cheese.. Once in a while if we're low on groceries I'll stop by the store at lunch and grab a frozen dinner. Luckily (?) for me there is nowhere to eat near my work, the closest grocery store is a few minute drive away, and I only have a 30 minute break, so I bring my lunch 99% of the time.
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a cafeteria here in my building, but Im trying to save my money, as this is my 3rd child and am hoping not to come back to work for awhile. Thanks for the ideas, I just need to take time out at night to pack my lunch.
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Some of the things I pack and alternate between are oatmeal, low fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt, apple, orange, string cheese, veggie sticks, triscuits, kashi granola bar, veggie patty, grilled chicken, 100% whole wheat bread, cheerios, etc... This of course is not all one day..lol! I just pack a few things the night before so that I can just throw it in a cooler the next morning and out the door I go.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I have been surprisingly less hungry since finding out I am pregnant. I think it is probably just that I am finding it easier to avoid the sugary treats I normally crave because I want to make sure all (or nearly all) of my calories are as high quality as they can be. Today I've had:

Breakfast: two eggs and some strawberries, a big mug of herbal "coffee" (caffeine free) with whole milk that I sipped on until lunch

Lunch: went to a farmer's market on my lunch break and got a grilled lamb kebab on salad greens with some green dressing

Snack: handfuls of blueberries that I bought at the farmer's market

Dinner: 1/4 hamburger patty topped with a strip of bacon, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, sweet potato with butter -- I'll probably also have some dark chocolate for dessert. I'm only a 5w4d, though, so I'm also not needing to eat above maintenance.

I guess my day was low-ish carb today, but that wasn't intentional. I've been just concentrating on getting as much whole, relatively unprocessed food as I can and not OD-ing on sugar.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    At work, I eat a lot of graham crackers, mixed nuts (small handful), string cheese, and yogurt. Ohhhh- and apples and peanut butter-mmmm. Trying to eat at least 2-3 servings of fruit a day, and at least 1-2 servings of veggies (not a big fan). I don't think there's any tried and true method- just eat small servings of what you like and will help you get through the day.
  • mpederson
    mpederson Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Almost everyday I eat cheerios with fresh berries and a big glass of chocolate milk. I love that stuff and it helps the fat prenatal vitamins go down.

At around 10 I have a snack, either a berry/yogurt/milk smoothie or a cheese stick and some almonds.

Lunch is all over the place but usually it's leftovers HOWEVER the last month I haven't been making supper! I just don't want to eat after 2 pm. Weird.....so lately it's been a soup or salad and toasted tomato/cheese/lettuce/mayo sandwich with some sort of little dessert after like jello or a cookie.

When I do track on mfp it shows i'm getting enough calories so I haven't been too worried about not eating a real supper. i'm not sure if I'm just feeling too busy or overwhelmed or just not hungry at night. It seems like every supper I make is some sort of vegetarian thin crust pizza. It's a quick easy meal for me and I can load it with veggies and then pack it for lunch the next day.
  • dq1479
    dq1479 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This pregnancy has been so hard on me eating wise. With my first I ate like I normally did with a few extra bagels and ice cream towards the end! ;) This pregnancy NOTHING appeals to me.

For breakfast I eat Kashi Go Lean Cereal and skim milk. I like it so I go with it. On weekends I try to eat eggs to get a little more protein.

The rest of the day is a crap shoot, to be honest. I force two servings of fruit and one serving of veggie into me. UGH even thinking about it is hard. This past week I couldn't even eat fruit - so weird I know. I have yogurt when the moment strikes me, soup, nuts, wheat bread.

Dinner - protein, carb, veggie. Pasta doesn't even do it for me.....BOO!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Just noticed that I said "1/4 hamburger patty" when what I meant was "1/4 LB hamburger patty" -- Who eats only 1/4 of a hamburger?! :laugh:
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I bring a box of cereal with me to work hahaha Seriously! I will have a bowl of PB Cheerios in the morning and maybe for a snack or even lunch too. Other lunches I have are sandwiches and leftovers.
  • Exna
    Exna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Morning : I prepare a Smoothie every morning (strawberries, oat bran for my fiber intake hehe, greek yogurt and 1% milk)
    I like to prepare my smoothie with at least 2 cups of milk, 1/4 cup of greek yogurt, 5 tbsp of oat bran and 1 cup of strawberries, so when I come back from work if I am super hungry I can drink that while I am cooking (If I dont have any leftovers) or waiting for hubby to get home and have dinner together :).
    mid morning Snack: skim string cheese, baby carrots, cucumbers or fruit (sometimes all of this lol) .
    Lunch: Protein (chicken, meat ) with some veggies or brown rice. Most of the time I won't finish all of my food but I prefer to be prepared ;)
    Afternoon, Granola and greek yogurt, fruit.
    Dinner : usually the same for lunch since I like to cook for several days.
    Late snacks: Kashi cereal with 1% milk
  • tmartin42
    tmartin42 Posts: 13
    Options
    Well, when I was nauseous I ate cheese and crackers and white bread. Now, I'm not nauseous anymore but I still need to eat every few hours so its usually fruit and cereal breakfast, a sandwich and salad for lunch, pita and hummus snack, and the family dinner. Luckily, I can eat whole grains and all the healthy food that made me nauseous before.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I will make a kale smoothie (raw kale, carrot juice, fruit) to eat with 2 hard boiled eggs, or treat myself to egg, potato and turkey sausage at the cafeteria, very rarely a gluten free bagel or something if I am craving carbs

If hungry midmorning (usually!) I will usually have Greek yogurt or a banana with some peanut butter or some fruit

Lunch is leftovers from dinner, a kale salad with tuna, vegetable stirfry with chicken, a spinach salad with beans and chicken from the cafeteria, or some other veggie/protein combo

Afternoon snack is usually yogurt, fruit, a belly bar, carrot sticks, nuts, or whatever else I can find to throw in my bag.

The rule is 3 veggie and 2 fruit servings a day and at least 6 of protein, usually with eggs ala the brewer diet. http://www.blueribbonbaby.org/brewer-diet-checklists/brewer-diet-basic-plan-checklist/

I work 8-12 hour shifts so I tend to bring a fair amount of food for the latter. Trying to stick to smaller meals and eating more often as i run out of space. I also try not to go crazy on carbs cause they make me sleepy and I tend to eat a lot of rice or whatever with DH for dinner

Best of luck
  • cocolo89
    cocolo89 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of carbs! LOL i feel like when I don't eat carbs I am nauseous soo i am skipping the nausea by eating lots of carbs. it hasn't haunted me on the scale yet:))
  • togobug
    togobug Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I'm starving and i don't know what to eat i like to make a sample plate lol.i put one wedge of laughing cow one yogurt one tbs peanut butter a serving of saltines which i break in half a serving of turkey lunch meat. Then i like to put fresh fruit and veggies on it like baby carrots apples half a banana pickles melons strawberry it normally comes out to an e extremely satisfying 300 cal give or tale about thirty. Plus i managed to get at least one serving of everything and it is pretty balanced hope this gives you lady's something to try!
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    breakfest
    I start with a half serving of oatmeal (cant fit a whole serving anymore.)
    2 tbls all natural peanut butter
    1tsp of honey
    and milk and splinda

( if you like junk but not to bad add some baking cocoa to it and you got your self a big bowl of no bakes! lol

Snack
    mixed fruit as freash as i can ans string chesse.

lunch
    i like me a tuna melt from time to time.
    i can get 2 slices of wheat bread at 35 cal each
    1 can of tuna
    1 tbls of mayo made with olive oil.
    and a slice of my fav cheese and warm it up
    and a glass of milk

snack
    if i want a snack ill have some gold fishes with my daughter.

Dinner
    anything that makes a meal. high fiber and protein. whole wheat noodles green veggies and chicken, fish what ever meat i have on hand.

snack
    Either i will eat more mixed fruit with milk or a 2 cups of pop corn
  • breskittle
    breskittle Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been eating carbs. They are the only thing that fills me up and makes me not feel sick all the time.

Cereal, Bagel & cream cheese , and pb&js have been making it on my food diary quiet often lately!