Drills

Options
Hello,
I was thinking that we started a subject of drills. I am always looking for new drills that involve layers. So how about we post the drills that we are working on and then we can get ideas on new drills from the different posts of our belly dance sisters. Here are the 2 drills I am working on. but I need to get new music because the music I have now is becoming a bore and not into it so much.

Drills:
1. Shimmy with an undulation. I have it but my undulation is looking like it can take some work.
2. Being able to shimmy while spinning.

Replies

• JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am working on the sidewinder. I also use a Rachel Brice serpentine DVD with drills: working on her shimmy drill which involves undulations, upper isolations, etc. Mine definitely need more work. :)
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    What is the sidewinder? Oh I want to get the dvd. I have it on my list of belly dance stuff to get.
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    Hmmm, how to describe the sidewinder? Doing a down to up figure 8 with the upper body, alternating pushing to the front corner with your hand to the opposite side of the figure 8 loop you are in. LOL. Does that make since at all. Just watch Rachel on you tube. She does look like a serpent. I do love her DVD. It is a great workout, love her technique, love the yoga on it. It has conditioning, technique drills, and choreography. It is a two DVD set worth the purchase.
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Options
    I am going to get it. I love the way she has control. So I have the spinning shimmy but one side does most of the work so I have to work on my left side a bit more.
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    I am not sure I know what a spinning shimmy looks like. It sounds difficult. I have only been dancing since last spring but love it. Sometimes when I am learning new dance moves, I have to remind myself to dance with joy first. How long have you been dancing?
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    maya and taxim used to be my bane, I mostly have them down, now umis are. I try to work on those when I think about them and want them to become natural like shiimmies mostly are.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    What I've been doing in my practice sessions are this: Spend 10 minutes on isolations, 8-12 counts of as many as I can remember. Spend 10 minutes on traveling steps and shimmies. Pick one move and spend 10 minutes layering it with all the isolations practiced in the first 10 minutes. I've been focusing on hip shimmies, shoulder shimmies, and chest circles for layering with other things. It is surprisingly hard for me to layer chest circles (horizontal) over hip moves. Vertical are a lot easier, I find.
  • Lilith47
    Lilith47 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Zoe Jakes' Killer Drillz are my drill bible!! Also, if you can in any way, take Martina Crowe-Hewett's Drill Workshop. You'll take home a ton of new drills ;)
    I LOVE DRILLS!
  • Goatgodess
    Goatgodess Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love Zoe Jakes Killer Drillz, I also use Rachel Brice's Yoga Isolation and Drills. She has a 15 min, 30min and 45 min workout, perfect for locking my office door and doing a quick workout ( 15 min is 50 cals burned) By the way, I am a cabaret style bellydancer, but you learn alot of control from these tribal fusion ladies
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Umies getting better still have a long way to go. I think the Serpentine is also demonstrated on Arms for Rachel.
    I also work on shimmies and undulations with chest pops thrown in and trying to keep my arms from either just hanging there or spasing out! Sometimes add in hip pops too.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I tried that in one of her workshops. I am just not cut out for it :) She has no bones, and I do. nuff said :)
  • JoyfullMovement
    Options
    You ladies are an inspiration. I havn't been dancing much lately.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I tried that in one of her workshops. I am just not cut out for it :) She has no bones, and I do. nuff said :)

I was just telling someone in my bd class the same thing the other day. Rachel has NO BONES! She's so awesome. :)