Tai Chi named as perfect exercise for the elderly

Options
darrensurrey
darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
Researchers found that older people who regularly performed the traditional Chinese “mind and body” technique were less likely to suffer high blood pressure and were physically stronger.

They concluded that the improvement of heart function combined with increased muscular power meant that the martial art should be considered the preferred technique for elderly people to maintain good health.

More here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/elderhealth/9187133/Tai-Chi-named-as-perfect-exercise-for-the-elderly.html

Replies

• JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can personally say it is wonderful for those who suffer with Fibromyalgia also.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I can personally say it is wonderful for those who suffer with Fibromyalgia also.

Glad to hear it's helping you. Keep practising! :)
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What style do you practice? I have been trying to learn Yang long form and Chen style combat form. They both are excellent body stimuli tho some differences in movements that may be more difficult for elderly. I was hoping to find what form they practiced in the study. the problem I believe with the control group is many, but a major flaw I believe is to take a group split into half and have one group participate in Yang long form Tai Chi and one in Wu style short form and compare the differences in health improvement while the control group does some basic walking and resistance training. Also need similar people with all the same life experiences and health problems. Many problems with studies such as this.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    That's true. Perhaps, they should get the control group to just walk very slowly.
  • althaluszombie
    Options
    That's true. Perhaps, they should get the control group to just walk very slowly.
    No tai chi is meant to be practiced both in slow exaggerated form and in blindingly fast and all the speeds inbewteen. Gain power from speed, gain accuracy from slowness
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    No tai chi is meant to be practiced both in slow exaggerated form and in blindingly fast and all the speeds inbewteen. Gain power from speed, gain accuracy from slowness

Sure - but old people in such trials are more likely to be taught the slow form and have no interest in the martial aspects!
  • althaluszombie
    Options

Sure - but old people in such trials are more likely to be taught the slow form and have no interest in the martial aspects!

Power is good for more then just martial applications. Tho of course the elderly would have trouble with the speed, but that is reserved for advanced practice anyways. Need to perfect the slowness to gain quickness
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Power is good for more then just martial applications. Tho of course the elderly would have trouble with the speed, but that is reserved for advanced practice anyways. Need to perfect the slowness to gain quickness

Sure, but they are just not interested.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Actually, it's unfair to say that the elderly aren't interested in learning about the martial arts applications.

I taught long-form Yang style from 1990 to 2011; the last 15 years in a somewhat-rough inner city locale.

Granted, most knew they would never actually use the application in a real-life scenario, but even my older students found that learning the applications provided them with greater depth of understanding of why a movement was performed a certain way. A few of the more adventurous students would occasionally try moving a bit faster on the movements they were reasonably good (and comfortable) with as well. For the movements they weren't ready to move faster on, they enjoyed watching my younger students :)
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Actually, it's unfair to say that the elderly aren't interested in learning about the martial arts applications.

I taught long-form Yang style from 1990 to 2011; the last 15 years in a somewhat-rough inner city locale.

Granted, most knew they would never actually use the application in a real-life scenario, but even my older students found that learning the applications provided them with greater depth of understanding of why a movement was performed a certain way. A few of the more adventurous students would occasionally try moving a bit faster on the movements they were reasonably good (and comfortable) with as well. For the movements they weren't ready to move faster on, they enjoyed watching my younger students :)

Sure, that's my experience, too, but in my experience they tend to prefer chi kung and form practice over, say, pushing hands and application work.