Canine Hip Dysplasia :(

Options
taeliesyn
taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
Our 7 month old Mastiff cross pup has just been diagnosed with Hip Dysplasia :(
I am wondering if anyone on here has unfortunately had experience with this either in a young dog or an older one. We've just started her on Pentosan and are waiting for Technyflex (Green lipped mussel based suppliment) to come in to help her through as long as she can be comfortable.
Fortunately she isn't showing any signs of arthritis on her x-rays though if she over exercises, she gets to the point where she can't/won't stand. Found this out the other day, so no more galloping around the park, for a few months at least.
She is still generally a happy wiggle bum puppy so we are hopeful if we can get her strength up so her hind end muscles support more, she will give us a few years, though we won't hesitate when it is time to PTS.

So any one dealt with this, any advice ya'll can give?

Replies

• weoclo
    weoclo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your pup! Fortunately, I have never had the diagnosis for any of my dogs (GSD), but a friend has a Great Pyrenees that has it. The best advice she was given was to keep his weight down. It prevents extra stress on those hip joints. Exercise too, but not high impact. I have heard from several people that swimming is the best.
  • Mary831331
    Mary831331 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think there is surgery available for this, isn't there? Yes I would really try to keep her weight down. I'm sure that would help.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I think there is surgery available for this, isn't there? Yes I would really try to keep her weight down. I'm sure that would help.

Thank you for the advice.
    Yes there is surgery available for it, but I don't believe in it. I have had hip surgery myself, I understood everything about what was going on and although mine was minor and recovery was fast I am still left with niggling pain. I can't imagine doing major surgery on something like a puppy, where it can't be explained what is happening or why they have to be locked up for the next X weeks/months, to restrict movement when they just to be a puppy & play. I think it is an option to the make the humans feel good, not the dog.

Weoclo - definitely will be keeping her weight down & come summer, it's going to be a lot of swimming for her and our older rotty (who it can't hurt)
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My family had a bloodhound bullmastiff that had very bad hips (both his back hips actually) We gave him a nutritional supplement that seemed to really help, and took him off regular dog food, mixed together peanut butter, eggs, and raw meat, not sure what all else now, it's been a while. He definitely improved with this, he was probably 6 or 7 when he started having problems, and he lived to a ripe old age :) His behavior started going downhill when he got health issues though, so just be careful. If you want the name of the supplement he had I can ask my mom and get back to you.