Just binged =[

Options
I'm trying so hard to go without sweets and processed food for June but I just find it a constant struggle because I'm always craving sweets. I think I'm addicted to them, they're my drug. I don't know how to overcome it.

I know people say just limit yourself and have one piece of chocolate...but I can't do that. One piece turns into more and then I move onto other foods. It's such a downwards spiral.

I don't know what to do to help control myself =[
help?!

Replies

• wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'm trying so hard to go without sweets and processed food for June but I just find it a constant struggle because I'm always craving sweets. I think I'm addicted to them, they're my drug. I don't know how to overcome it.

I know people say just limit yourself and have one piece of chocolate...but I can't do that. One piece turns into more and then I .move onto other foods It's such a downwards spiral.

help?!

Me too but exept i am not addicted to them but i cannot have them in the house or i end up eating all and move onto other foods.
    What i am doing now is not buying it. no no no not even for the kids or i will end up eating it.
  • wifeyy
    wifeyy Posts: 487 Member
    Options

I know people say just limit yourself and have one piece of chocolate...but I can't do that. One piece turns into more and then I .move onto other foods It's such a downwards spiral.

help?!

Me too but exept i am not addicted to them but i cannot have them in the house or i end up eating all and move onto other foods.
    What i am doing now is not buying it. no no no not even for the kids or i will end up eating it.
  • bitter_sentiment
    bitter_sentiment Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i would deffinitley do that if i lived by myself but my parents do the shopping and because others in my family still eat that stuff there's constantly temptation in the house. makes it so difficult! especially because there's no way they'd give up that food...not my sister anyways
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hi. I go through it too. I can tell you that when I have done the best is when I did not limit myself to one- I went cold turkey. I think you need a certain amount of time for it to clean itself out of your system. I like to do a day long fast sometimes but even just not eating any junk for about 3-7 days will do the trick. ONce it is out of your system, then you find you do not want it because it is like a drug and when it is in your system you crave it. Then later I was able to go back to "just one piece," but only after I initially detoxed. However, is one piece ever a good idea for people "like us?" I am not sure because I still have my binge times and have to go back and start from square one, like now.
  • naomis10
    naomis10 Posts: 3
    Options
    First, I just want to say I'm really glad this group exists because it is comforting to hear I am not the only one with a binging problem. What you describe is exactly what I go through too. I was doing so well on my diet and exercise routine (with the help of MFP) and then the last two nights I binged like crazy. It makes me feel horrible and the cycle of binging is the WORST.

SUGAR IS AN ADDICTIVE SUBSTANCE. Actually, though. I am not sure why it is not broadcast more by fitness journals or anything, but it most definitely is addictive. The only way for people like us to stop binging on sugary and fatty substances (empty calorie substances) is to stop cold turkey. Other people can limit themselves to "just one" but we can't, and it is important to remember that.

I was able to severely reduce my addiction by stopping cold turkey for months. I can't eat candy anymore or else I go right back into binging. It's the sad truth.
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here!! I have to go cold turkey, which I did and it lasted for like 4 weeks. I then started eating unclean again and can't get out of the cycle.
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We really are addicted just like people get to alcohol I think. (at least many of us). Lie how they say "Some people can have one drink but we can't." That's us with junk food. I am seriously thinking about looking up the 12 steps and trying to apply them to my food addiction!
  • bitter_sentiment
    bitter_sentiment Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    First, I just want to say I'm really glad this group exists because it is comforting to hear I am not the only one with a binging problem. What you describe is exactly what I go through too. I was doing so well on my diet and exercise routine (with the help of MFP) and then the last two nights I binged like crazy. It makes me feel horrible and the cycle of binging is the WORST.

SUGAR IS AN ADDICTIVE SUBSTANCE. Actually, though. I am not sure why it is not broadcast more by fitness journals or anything, but it most definitely is addictive. The only way for people like us to stop binging on sugary and fatty substances (empty calorie substances) is to stop cold turkey. Other people can limit themselves to "just one" but we can't, and it is important to remember that.

I was able to severely reduce my addiction by stopping cold turkey for months. I can't eat candy anymore or else I go right back into binging. It's the sad truth.

This is pretty much me the past week. I was doing great, feeling good, then one day I came home and was really hungry and ended up binging. Then the next day I ended up doing the same and then also felt horrible and like ****. It is the worst feeling which is why I can't understand why I struggle so much to stop doing it. It seems to silly because I hate how I feel after and what it's doing to my body but at the same time it's soo hard to stop!

I think the cold turkey idea is good though. My plan was to do that for all of June...I started the first two days off well, then the last three I haven't done so well. I'm going to try so hard from today to make the rest of June sugar free!

Thanks so much for your advice! and everyone else as well! It's so great to know we have support on here!
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    Options
    I think I just binged. It wasn't by any means a massive calorie amount, but I was stressed all day, and some magnetic force just pulled me into the kitchen. I ate 1.5 poptarts. I know this does not sound like a binge because it's not really a lot of food, but I ate it really fast and wasn't hungry at all. It was definitely binge behavior. I also had the same behavior with challah bread today. I stuffed it in my mouth and wasn't hungry :/. I think I'll go back to day 1.
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I was super stressed yesterday about my bf losing his job and I binged on 2 bags of peach gummies and a twix. I just can't see the upside of other areas of my life right now, so it makes me seem to not care as much about my fitness goals. I literally left home at 9pm, drove across town to the grocery store and got candy. Ugh. All I want today is more sweets. And I am around it everyday at work too. Going out of town for the weekend, I feel it will happen again. There's so much on my mind, it's like I can't keep my priorities straight. Damn you sweets!
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    Options
    I know how you feel. I binge when I am stressed too. Keep your head up. Life throws unexpected things at us, but you will get through it.