What will your mileage be going into the Summer?

Options
cmh806
cmh806 Posts: 36 Member
Summers in Texas can quickly ramp up near the 100 degree mark in early May. I find myself limiting my distance runs to 15 miles max on my long run. However, if I can push myself a little more in the summer, my fall season really gets a kick start. The first 26.2 runs start around November and last until March. I would like to see if anyone changes their approach going into summer or if they have ways to work around the heat. My first scheduled fall marathon will be NYC in the first part of November.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Summers in Texas can quickly ramp up near the 100 degree mark in early May. I find myself limiting my distance runs to 15 miles max on my long run. However, if I can push myself a little more in the summer, my fall season really gets a kick start. The first 26.2 runs start around November and last until March. I would like to see if anyone changes their approach going into summer or if they have ways to work around the heat. My first scheduled fall marathon will be NYC in the first part of November.

I'm in Minnesota so I don't really have a reason to reduce mileage in the summer but I can understand why you would need to. Luckily I can always just wear more clothes in the winter :)
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yep, I know all about the Texas summers. (I live in the DFW area). I still ramped up my mileage slowly, and am starting marathon training, but I go at the butt crack of dawn. Even if it's 80 degrees at 5 in the morning, it's easier than having the sun beat down on you!

I will most likely be slowing down my long runs. I also take some of my shorter runs, like the speedwork days, inside on the treadmill. (Air conditioning and a TV is nice for a run sometimes. :-) )
  • jukemaster
    jukemaster Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I usually try to keep pushing things over the summer, but the heat and humidity in Cleveland can get killer in August. I usually start running later in the evenings, after dark when it's cooler. The early mornings usually have the coolest temps in my area, but I'm not a morning person. If I have to go out in the sun, I'll run a rail trail where the trees keep most of the area heavily shaded. Sometimes I'll do beach runs and take advantage of the cool air traveling over Lake Erie. Sometimes I'll even jump in the water every few miles too, depending on the beach. But I never go out in the noon-ish hours. I want the sun low, to some degree at least, if I'm out during the summers.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I always kick up my mileage in the summer. During the school year I have to be back home by ~ 7:10 to get my kids off to school. In the summers I usually have more time in the mornings, so my daily runs tend to get a few miles longer.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Last summer I think I averaged about 90 miles per month. My most convenient time to run is also the hottest part of the day. I hate pushing runs off until closer to dark.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Living in England, this is when i like to run the most, its only sunny about 3 months a year!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I don't allow the weather to dictate how far I run, but only what time of day. If the training schedules calls for a 300 mile month in August, I'll run a 300 mile month in August. I'll just do the bulk of it before the sun reaches over the trees.
  • elizabethmae1214
    Options
    Our summers are mild here in Eastern Washington. Even on the hottest of days it still gets cool overnight/morning. I'm aiming for 20 miles a week on average, with a raise to 25 in August & September (Half coming up in Oct) So about 80-100 miles a month. Only got in 51 in May, pretty much missed a whole week. :P
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    We get pretty nasty heat & humidity in the Ottawa area too hence my preference for running early in the morning.

I've already signed up for a half-marathon in September so I'll be keeping up around the 100 to 120 miles per month over the summer. A friend of mine is trying to talk me into doing the Toronto Waterfront Marathon in October so, if I succumb to insanity, my mileage may actually be going up quite a bit in the summer heat.