Allergic To Life?

Options
I love food and so my of life revolves around food-anyone else sruggling with maintaining a social life while having food allergies/food sensitivities?

Replies

• sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's not so bad, but I admit I'm fairly spoiled. When we have pot lucks my co-workers let me know what's safe for me to eat and what's not. Some have even altered their recipes to accommodate me. The holidays involve color coded plates for what's safe for me to eat. (I can eat from the green plates, but the red plates contain allergens.)

I typically have a snack before parties/pot lucks though when it's uncharted territory. That way I don't starve.

People think I'm being snooty or a health freak when I pass on foods, but it's okay. I don't mind it. I actually prefer this than having to tell 900 people that I'm terribly allergic to the food they're trying to get me to eat. I always try to be gracious and appreciative when I say no thanks, which I think helps also.

It's gotten easier since I had to add the severe acid reflux to my list of troubles. I now say 'no thanks' to many more foods than I did before because I can't digest them either. Saying no thanks is far less painful than being pukey all night. lol
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    It gets easier with time. Be gracious, bring great food to events, thank people who try to accommodate you, be totally honest about what you can and can't have. Don't make a big deal of it. Enjoy exploring new cuisines, but also find ways to get together that don't involve food.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'll be going out with friends tonight, and I'm also a little nervous about the part where I have to awkwardly refuse food, especially because this is a group that I have always previously eaten out with and we all love to spoil ourselves on nights out! But the place they picked tonight doesn't have a single thing on the menu I can eat -- they don't even serve salad! Ah, well. I guess this will be the litmus test of our friendship.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Have you called the restaurant ahead to see how the chef can accommodate you? Look at the various ingredients and side dishes mentioned in the menu and ask him to pull something together for you. Or bring your own unopened bag of pasta, sauce, salad, etc. and have him prep it.
    I'll be going out with friends tonight, and I'm also a little nervous about the part where I have to awkwardly refuse food, especially because this is a group that I have always previously eaten out with and we all love to spoil ourselves on nights out! But the place they picked tonight doesn't have a single thing on the menu I can eat -- they don't even serve salad! Ah, well. I guess this will be the litmus test of our friendship.
  • styles010
    styles010 Posts: 7
    Options
    Sorry for the late response-I am still learning my way around the message boards! It is so nice to not be alone with food sensitivities!