Midnight Releases

Options
kapeluza
kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
Have you ever gone to one for any of the games? Any funny stories?

I have been to all of the WoW midnight releases. For the BC expansion pack release, we had to stand in line in 28 degree weather for 3 hours. It was a huge deal and the Best Buy we went to here in Houston had brought out the local radio station, some news stations and other media. The line was so long that it wrapped around the whole store.

The radio station had this dance competition and whoever won got a collector's edition BC expansion pack so you can bet all the geeks were excited about it. The contest was to dance like your character, so they had some guys dancing like gnomes others like taurens, etc. Well there was only a handful of chicks in the crowd and the radio DJ was going around asking who wanted to do the " Female NIGHT ELF DANCE". Well, you guess it, we were all like, um wtf no? After a lot of almost "pleading" one chick decided to "man up" and go in front of the whole audience of people waiting and dance. At the end of the dance competition, some guy doing the troll dance won, lol.

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I've been to all the WoW midnight releases, but only locally, no huge events or anything.

But, the release of WotLK was the best. I went to my local Tescos for it, as it was the only place that was open at midnight! When i got there there was like 50 people already in the queue, i didnt know that many people played locally! There were these two old women behind the counter. When the first guy got his copy, he ran out of the stored screaming "For the Horde!". It was great, being in the MAJORITY for once. You felt that those who understood outnumbered those that didn't! It was great! :D
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I went to the Gears of War midnight launches and the Call of Duty ones. It's alot of fun and they do free/reduced price stuff. :)

No funny stories though, my town is rather unexciting and I tend to not pay attention half the time. I'm just there for the game!!! :P
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    You should have seen the lines last night.............loooong. I was at a bar across the street watching the Chicago Bears from a gAMe stop. I witnessed all the madness hahahahaha
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I went to the midnight launch for Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor way back in the day, that's the last time until this Thursday night when I'm going to hit up the Gamestop by my house for the midnight launch of Skyrim. I used to go a lot more when I was in high school and college, but I think Pool of Radiance was sometime in 2000 or 2001, so it's been at least 10 years.
  • Matttdvg
    Matttdvg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of midnight launches. Most people seem to get the game at midnight, go home and play it for an hour or two and then go to bed and sleep late because they were up until 2am. I'd rather get up bright and early and get to the game store at 9am, buy it and then play it all day.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i liked doing it for WoW because i liked getting the jump on others in my guild as we raced to level cap. (never got first) i really enjoyed Cat because of the digital download and i was ready to go at midnight.
  • bottlecaps
    Options
    When Halo 3 came out got to the store around 9 to wait in line. There were already about 15 kids in front of me:(
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of midnight launches. Most people seem to get the game at midnight, go home and play it for an hour or two and then go to bed and sleep late because they were up until 2am. I'd rather get up bright and early and get to the game store at 9am, buy it and then play it all day.

Every on MW3 seem to have been playing it all night and day... Saw someone at level 80 already! :huh:
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've been to all of the expansion releases for WoW. They had a big party and brought in several of the devs for the WotLK release here in Austin. There was a dance competition and a few other fun things happening. To me the most entertaining part was standing in line for 3 hours talking with other random geeks. It's interesting to see who all plays.
  • freshprincessx
    freshprincessx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I went to the MW3 midnight release. Basically, it was bunch of teenage/young adult men who were high out of their mind.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Last one I did was for Super Smash Brothers Brawl for the Wii. They had a small tournament. I schooled all those kids! I won first place, relinquished it because I had a cruise to go to on the date of the regional tourney. It was random characters and we had to use the Wiimote and nunchuck. No one knew what the hell was going on control wise. I won a $50 giftcard and Wii giftcard holder case. I was also able to be first to pick up my copy of SSBB. Fun night over all. They served mushroom frosted cupcakes.