Challenge for Pet Parents!

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
You know I am a feline lover myself...and she passed away this past December. When I went to the library and looked up the diagnosis it all boiled down to DIET!!!!! I never knew the cat food sold at most stores is not proper for their gut. (same as grain with cows) so I always feel bad that I helped along with her illness. Proper food helps not only us but our pets too!

I admire you all who walk your dogs faithfully. If you have not started why not now?! Commit to walking your dog extra and it helps you both health and relationship-wise! Feed them good diet. I have constantly heard how our pets are overweight and have a lot of health issues like their human companions! Let's commit to break that cycle!!!!!
Woof Woof! Meeeeeoooow!!!!!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry about your cat! As an almost life-long pet owner, I know how difficult it is to lose a furry family member! When we got our first springer, our vet recommended dry puppy chow. He said it had everything the pup needed. We kept our first two dogs on dog chow and they lived for 15 and 13 years. Our current pup, Abby, eats dry dog food as well. She's very healthy (maybe a little overweight, but she's spoiled with too many treats!)

Abby makes sure I walk every day. She is my own "personal trainer". I know if I didn't have her, I would not be as consistent with my walking.
  • DebRives
    DebRives Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have two "fur babies" myself. A cat and a white Siberian Husky (<<points to picture). My girl , the dog, gets a health grain free diet that she enjoys.
    My boy, the cat, will not eat anything healthy. No tuna, no healthy cat kibble. Just the crappy no name store brand. You would think that he would eat it when he gets hungery but nope! He just goes to the nice retired lady next door and she feeds him the crap. It's very frustrating!
  • jaimesuefit
    Options
    I love this challenge! My poor dogs are getting to the age where walking is difficult for them. But, I still need to try even if it is jus the quality of the time. Thanks for the reminder.
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    This is an easy one for me, my cat LOVES vegetables, particularly spinach and carrots. When we're not giving him people food we give him Innova EVO Cat and Kitten Food, which we love for him. It's high in protein so it fills our cat up without making him overweight, so we give him as much as he wants without having to measure out his food.
  • kreuzen
    kreuzen Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    A perfect challenge for me. I just switched my dog over to a new food as it is MUCH healthier for her. And I am working on her sister as I have her while my parents are out of town. Also just switched my cat over to a new food.

I was trying to start running with them after work or before work. I just purchased a leash splitter. Note* Be careful. I tripped over one of my dogs in the middle of an intersection and tore up my hands and seriously bruised my hip bone. Dogs were okay, but I'm still trying to figure out how to make it work for all of us.

Going to try again this evening... maybe on a nice quite trail where we are away from the distractions of the road. :)
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Last night I did a mile with my rollie pollie Pom. We both are out of shape, but she seemed to enjoy it, so I'll try to keep up with walking with her.
  • kateva143
    kateva143 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have two "fur babies" myself. A cat and a white Siberian Husky (<<points to picture). My girl , the dog, gets a health grain free diet that she enjoys.
    My boy, the cat, will not eat anything healthy. No tuna, no healthy cat kibble. Just the crappy no name store brand. You would think that he would eat it when he gets hungery but nope! He just goes to the nice retired lady next door and she feeds him the crap. It's very frustrating!

My cats are the same, and they are 13 and 14 and still play like kittens. Hopefully their genes are so good that the junk doesn't affect them!! my dogs are on grain free and raw, they eat better than i do =)
  • Sharonsmith12
    Options
    Hello, just started MFP last week, I am an animal lover, 3 dogs and now only 2 cats, I lost my big boy Tommy a couple of weeks ago, broke my heart:cry: The cat in the photo is called Curly and he was found in a plastic bag on the road as a small kitten. Very spoilt now. I walked one of my dogs this morning for 1 hr, the other 2 dogs are old and prefer to sleep in front of the fire.
    Happy to be added always looking for support :smile:
  • bunnyboo7
    bunnyboo7 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is great I love taking or dog for a walk. I try to aim for once a day he always is up for it :)