Question for those running hundreds of miles per month

Options
tappae
tappae Posts: 568 Member
How do you fit all those miles in? I'm just starting to train for a marathon and I don't think my schedule will allow me to follow any specific training plan, but the few I've looked at have me getting my long run up to about 20 miles. With that, and a rest day, to get 60 miles in a week, I would have to average 8 miles on the other 5 days. I can't usually fit in more than 4 or 5 miles (particularly at a slower pace). Should I be running twice a day? Should I work my long run up to even longer than that? Currently, my longest is 11, but I was planning on adding a mile every week or so.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Doubles (running twice a day) is generally really high mileage stuff (70+ miles per week). You normally see a hard/longer run in the AM and an easy recovery run in the afternoon/evening.

Best option would be to run it all in singles. If time really doesn't permit, then you can try some doubles. The problem is 4 miles + 4 miles doesn't really equal the benefits of an 8 miler.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    How do you fit all those miles in? I'm just starting to train for a marathon and I don't think my schedule will allow me to follow any specific training plan, but the few I've looked at have me getting my long run up to about 20 miles. With that, and a rest day, to get 60 miles in a week, I would have to average 8 miles on the other 5 days. I can't usually fit in more than 4 or 5 miles (particularly at a slower pace). Should I be running twice a day? Should I work my long run up to even longer than that? Currently, my longest is 11, but I was planning on adding a mile every week or so.

for 60 miles a week

M - 6
    T - 8-12 speedwork
    W- 10-12 LRP
    T- 4-6
    F - 3
    Sat - 10-13 (some kind of tempo or hill)
    Sun - 16+ long run

It normally works out to be about 8-11 hrs per week. really not all that much when you break it down.

in regards to doubles, I may do those on Mondays and Wednesdays. I'll do an easy 3 before work and then do my normal mileage above after
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Rather that chase mileage I would recommend that you chase time instead and let the mileage fall where it falls. I think 10 to 12 hours per week is about optimum so you could just aim to work your way in that direction. If you are training for a marathon you probably should be running 5 or 6 days a week. One day for rest is always good. Personally, I like doubles just to get the extra training time. If you try them work them in gradually and keep one of the runs real easy and limited to 30 or 40 minutes.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas, I'm planning on making the leap to 26.2 next May.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are great ideas - although I've only just started on the full program. I'll keep them in mind!
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 5th full in 2 weeks and I've never run 60+ miles a week. My mileage has always topped out at 35-40/week. I personally prefer to run less (usually 3-4x per week) and cross train more. I tend to get injured otherwise.
  • tappae
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the responses!

What I'm gathering is that I should look to increase the number of days I'm running first (right now I'm only doing 3 or 4, avoiding the days when I have to work that night), then increase the mileage I can do on those days, and then think about adding doubles if I need to. The main limiting factor for me is that I'm a stay-at-home dad. Any runs I get in during the day are with the jogging stroller, so I can't really do super long runs (the furthest I've taken him is maybe 5 or 6 and then he starts to get antsy) or speed work on the track. I guess I could do fartleks or intervals with him, but I have about an hour to hour-and-a-half max between diaper changes, snacks, juice, etc. (including getting dressed, setting up the stroller, cool down and stretching). The only other option is to get up before him and run, which is tricky because I work nights. That, or I could try some runs after he goes to bed with my new head lamp. I also want to do a good bit of my training on the trails since I'm looking at maybe doing a trail marathon this fall and the jogging stroller cannot handle these trails.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    The thing that helps me to get in the mileage is to put it on the schedule like everything else. I have a Google calendar that I use to keep track of all the family obligations and my runs are entered there just like a kids lacrosse game or a doctor's appointment. Make it a priority and it becomes a priority. This means that I get up between 4:30 and 5:00 AM every day, but it's a sacrifice I make willingly because of the returns that I get on it.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    The thing that helps me to get in the mileage is to put it on the schedule like everything else. I have a Google calendar that I use to keep track of all the family obligations and my runs are entered there just like a kids lacrosse game or a doctor's appointment. Make it a priority and it becomes a priority. This means that I get up between 4:30 and 5:00 AM every day, but it's a sacrifice I make willingly because of the returns that I get on it.

This ^^^.

I work full time shifts too, and I've got 3 kids under 5 (my hubby is the SAHD). And I work out what I need to do then plan it in over the week. I make it like an appointment. I start my early shift at 7am, so will get up at 0430 to run (usually) 10-12kms before work. But if that's too much or I'm running late, I'll happily take a 5k. I'm naturally a morning runner and find it easier to get up, pull on my running gear and get straight out. If I think about it too much then other stuff just takes over and I run out of time.
    I've also found it useful to have a training schedule that I stick up on the fridge. I can see what I need to do over the course of the week, and I cross off what I've done when I've done it. I always get my long run in on a day off. Even if that means getting up at daft o'clock so I still have decent time with the family. If I can't run (either if the weather's crappy, I'm sore, or just can't be bothered), I have a cross trainer in the garage that I picked up for $20- 30 mins on that is better than nothing at all. And it's easy to go on there when the kid's having a nap or watching a dvd.
    I think that as long as you mentally make the commitment, then you'll find ways to make it work. Also, find a training plan that suits you- some have you running and cross training 7 days a week. For most of us that is just not practical. My last training plan had me running for 5 days a week, and TBH I usually ended up skipping 1 day (at least). I've learned from that now, and I have a plan that has me running 4 days. my shorter runs are between 8-12km (60-90 mins for me).

good luck with finding what works for you.

ETA- The distances will depend where about in your training you are anyway, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just start at the beginning and it becomes easier to fit it in as you go along. this week my total distance will be about 45km. In 15 weeks time I'll be running 85km. Once the marathon is over, I intend to run 0km for a while!
  • tappae
    Options
    Thanks for the advice re: putting my runs on a calendar. I went ahead and joined RunningAHEAD, a website I saw on CarsonRun's profile. I was planning on just preparing on my own, but I realized that it would probably lead to me running too far, too fast, too soon, so I found a marathon training plan in Runner's World and have made a few modifications to it:

http://www.runningahead.com/logs/252f0f6e1bb14385a2f0231f0ffaa208/plans/55f8b466c3224989b3631976ed5d30b4

If you have a minute, I would love to know what y'all thought of this plan. I also used the McMillan Running Calculator I saw mentioned in the forums and it looks like most of my running is going to be very slow. If I had come up with my own plan, I probably would have been running faster than marathon pace for most of my runs.
  • tappae
    Options
    I wanted to add that I took the stroller out for 7 miles this weekend and the kid did great. I think I'll be able to take him on all of my training runs (up to 10 miles, maybe) except the long days (multiple hours would be hard for a toddler's attention span and I want to do most of the long runs on trails that the stroller couldn't handle).

I would love to get up and run in the wee hours like some of y'all do, but working nights almost rules that out. Some nights I don't even get off until 4:30 or so.
  • Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wanted to "ditto" those who said 60 miles per week is excessive for marathon taining. I run between 40 & 50 per week and my brother who has been doing this longer than me never runs over 40 per week. I did my first marathon training over a longer period so I could build mileage slower and run 20, 22 & 24 miles a few times prior to the race. Typical week in the last months would be 6mi/ 8mi/ 7mi/ 22mi/ 3mi.... thats a big week at 46 miles over 5 days on 2 days off. Anyone could get by on this or a little less.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I wanted to "ditto" those who said 60 miles per week is excessive for marathon taining. I run between 40 & 50 per week and my brother who has been doing this longer than me never runs over 40 per week. I did my first marathon training over a longer period so I could build mileage slower and run 20, 22 & 24 miles a few times prior to the race. Typical week in the last months would be 6mi/ 8mi/ 7mi/ 22mi/ 3mi.... thats a big week at 46 miles over 5 days on 2 days off. Anyone could get by on this or a little less.

Totally depends on what you goal for the marathon is. If you just want to get through it and have a good time, then you can surely do it on that mileage. If you want to actually race it and possible qualify for Boston, 40 miles per week isn't going to work. The caveat being if you have been doing 40 miles a week for 20 years, then you probably can.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't need to run high mileage. These are the people who can just jump out of bed, run a long run or two, and qualify for Boston on their first attempt. These are people who may just be gifted, have the biomechanics, have other athletic prowess that most people don't... the list goes on and on...

But for everyone else, if you want to run the distance, and do it well, you've got to put in the miles.

To the OP, it's not necessary that you put in 60+ miles per week, especially if it's your first marathon, and you don't have the mileage base to begin with. If you try to ramp up your miles too quickly, you run the risk of injury (too much too soon!) As someone stated earlier, focus on the quality of your miles. If you need to skip a run for some reason, skip a shorter run. You'll benefit most from your scheduled long run.

Just like with anything in life, if it's important to you, you'll make the time for it. Good luck!
  • tappae
    Options
    Thanks! The RW plan that I modified yesterday has me starting around 20 miles this week (personal best) and peaking at 50 miles 3 weeks before the marathon.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options

Totally depends on what you goal for the marathon is. If you just want to get through it and have a good time, then you can surely do it on that mileage. If you want to actually race it and possible qualify for Boston, 40 miles per week isn't going to work. The caveat being if you have been doing 40 miles a week for 20 years, then you probably can.

THIS!

I saw huge improvements when I went from 40-55+ weekly mileage.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The RW plan that I modified yesterday has me starting around 20 miles this week (personal best) and peaking at 50 miles 3 weeks before the marathon.
    That sounds like a good plan. I am a firm believer in high mileage if you are trying to run for performance. However, going high too fast is not good. Your next cycle you can start at 50 and peak as high as you like. By that time your body will be well adapted to the stress plus you will probably be running faster and it won't take so much time.
  • tappae
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan. I am a firm believer in high mileage if you are trying to run for performance. However, going high too fast is not good. Your next cycle you can start at 50 and peak as high as you like. By that time your body will be well adapted to the stress plus you will probably be running faster and it won't take so much time.

Thanks! I had kind of been thinking that I would shoot for sub 4 hours on my first marathon, which is a reasonable goal for me, but this first marathon is basically all trail so 4:30 might be more realistic. I'll see how I'm doing running my long runs on the trails closer to time before deciding on a goal. I have a second one planned 10 weeks later and it looks like an "easy" course (no hills, lots of shade) so I'll be looking to go faster. Since I'm nowhere near competitive (I can't quite maintain my BQ pace for 2 miles) I probably won't be looking to seriously increase mileage or think about "racing" a marathon until next year at the earliest. This trail race also has a 40 mile component, so I'm hoping to train for that next year as my first "ultra."
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I have a second one planned 10 weeks later...

Be careful scheduling marathons that close together. The basic rule of thumb is one day recovery (not necessarily inactive, but not training) for every mile raced. So, you really should take at least a full week off after a marathon and then another 3 weeks of reduced mileage, easy running. Take two weeks off the other end to taper, and you are giving yourself 6 weeks to be ready for the next one. Not saying it can't be done, but exercise caution.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    OMG you people are an inspiration!

I will feel lucky if I get 60 miles in this summer!!!! lol

*bows to you*