New here...

Options
lesliev523
lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
Hi all, I am new to MFP and I am loving it. I was diagnosed with Celiac in April 2012, and have been gluten free ever since.

I have been debating starting a blog... but there are so many GF blogs out there, and weight loss blogs.... but I decided to just test the waters with a blog here. This is what I posted to my blog about my struggle with gluten and finally reaching a diagnosis:

A whole new way of life....

Life kind of kicked my *kitten* over the last few years.

I always had stomach issues, ever since I was a kid. But a couple years ago they went into full swing. Terrible constipation, gas, bloating, heartburn, nausea, etc. Then the weight started to slowly creep up... I knew I was gaining, but I made excuses. Stress, kids, money... always an excuse.

Over a four year period I gained 40 lbs. My all time high was 170. I am 5'2". Not a good thing.

About a year ago, my gall bladder started to give me issues. I went through all kinds of testing. No matter what I seemed to eat, I always felt sick. And I would combat that feeling by eating comfort foods like bread and pasta because it "might settle my stomach". Finally in September of 2011, my gall bladder was removed. I was so happy, expecting everything to be better overnight!

NOT

In fact the only thing that was gone was the cramping that had me doubled over. The feeling sick was still there.

A friend of mine suggested giving up gluten.

I knew it would be hard, but I was desperate. I had to give up pizza, pasta, and beer.... but if it made me feel better that would be wonderful. And it did. I was gluten free for almost two months. I dropped some weight (about 15lbs), felt good.... and then the holidays hit. Slowly I started to have gluten again. I wanted stuffing with my turkey dinner and pie on Thanksgiving! I did notice, though, that I didn't feel well after eating. I started to get that constant sick feeling again.

But then it got worse.

It started off with headaches. Then, over time, I was always dizzy and had to sit down. My oldest son played hockey, and climbing the bleachers at his games started to terrify me. My balance was completely off. My vision started to get blurry, the fatigue and insomnia was out of control. I lost feeling in my toes, and fingers. My fine motor skills were shot. And then in February, I started to get hand tremors. That scared me the most.

So back to the doctor I went. She tested me for all sorts of autoimmune disorders, at first. My blood panel showed I was not absorbing nutrients, and I was extremely low in my Vitamin D level. I was put on supplements, but I started to ask "WHY?".

I started to think how much better I was doing when I was completely gluten free. So I asked my doctor for a celiac panel. When it finally came back, it showed "low positive" results. My doc told me it was probably a false positive! So I went to another doctor. She told me that false positive could occur, but were rare. I could get another test done, an endoscopy, which is a bit invasive. I was so done with tests! She said my other option was to go completely gluten free again, and see how I felt. I already knew how I would feel!

So after celebrating my youngest sons birthday with that last piece of cake, I became gluten free. That was about 6 weeks ago. I have lost the weight that creeped back up, and then some. I am rarely hungry anymore, which is probably because my body is now absorbing the nutrients it need and not telling me to keep eating.

So now that my energy level is up, and my motivation is back.... I am determined to get rid of all of the weight I gained. And maybe then some!

Wish me luck on this journey!

Replies

• irishginger
    irishginger Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Omg. Inspiring to read. I was diagnosed yesterday with gluten sensitivity. Not done via lab tests but by process of elimination. Per my doctor I need to start the gluten free lifestyle. Reading your post is great. From the "I have to give up...." to the symptoms you listed. Reading someone else's account makes me think that maybe my doctor wasn't off base. (I didn't really think that anyways; just the denial kicking in). Needless to say I'm struggling with the road ahead but am game to do it if it means feeling better. Thank you so much for sharing! I CAN do this :). Feel free to share any helpful hints and tips!
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Your Story is so like mine! Glad you feel better, what a great feeling!
  • mainegirl114
    Options
    Wow! I can relate to your story.

It seems we went through many of the same things. I haven't been officially diagnosed with Celiac...my many endoscopys come back negative but I know that is the problem because when I am gluten free I feel so much better (energy, mood, etc). I always dread the semi annual endoscopy having to overload on gluten before the test...because I feel awful for weeks. I also have a very low Vit D level - which we are trying to raise with large doses of Vit D...blood tests every 6 months to monitor the levels. Fun stuff!

Good luck!! I'm going to send you a friend request - instead in following your progress. :-)
  • lesliev523
    Options
    Thank you so much! It is a challenge, but everyday it is easier.

And the fact that my kids notice the difference in my mood and energy is a big plus! I was kind of a cranky b**ch before.... and now we laugh and have fun!

There are a lot of great gluten free recipes out there, too.... I am not a huge fan of gluten substitutes, but LOVE to experiment with naturally gluten free meals. If you are on Pinterest, I have a gluten free recipe board that I love to refer too.
  • lesliev523
    Options
    There are lots of people that have negative blood work and negative endoscopes, but are still gluten intolerant. It may or may not be Celiac, but if gluten makes you feel crappy then stop eating it. There is an official diagnosis called Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance, where gluten may not create the intestinal damage, but you body still reacts to it negatively.

Good luck!!
  • sabek
    sabek Posts: 8
    Options
    I was in the false negative group. Blood tests were great, but still had the issues and Celiac was the only piece that fit the puzzle. Given my sister and both of her children are diagnosed. I pressed for the endoscopy and it revealed blunting of the villi.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Now that I have time to type...

I do not have an official diagnosis, I have an UNofficial diagnosis. I saw a GI when I had issues with my gallbladder, and she said she was sure I have Celiacs, or non Celiac gluten intolerance, lol. But, since my regular doc refused to do testing or send me for testing, I'll never know for sure.

I suffered from Migraines, chronic diarrhea/constipation, bloating, constant nausea, arthritic symptoms (thought I had lupus or rheumatoid arthritis), chronic hip pain, chronic foggy brain, fatigue (that's when you're so exhausted all the time and sleep does NOTHING for you), dark under eye circles that just never went away... I know there was more, but I can't remember.

So, I've been gluten free since October of '09 (I finally looked it up, lol!). I've tripped a few times, but I will never willingly put anything in my body that will make me feel that way again!!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I was officially diagnosed after an endoscopy in 2006. I didn't have GI symptoms. Instead, I was exhausted, in constant pain, I was fainting once or twice a week, I had sores in my mouth and couldn't feel my feet or fingers, and sometimes couldn't feel my legs. My doctor was positive it was Lupus or MS... and it was the biggest relief of my life to find out that it wasn't, and that I could get better with a change in diet.

Gluten free was so much harder then than it is now, and it's only getting easier as more GF foods become readily accessible.
  • lesliev523
    Options
    The variety of symptoms of this disease always amaze me. And even if you have not "officially" been diagnosed, doesn't mean it is any less significant!

I honestly believe gluten is evil.... it is GLUE that stops our bodies from working correctly!
  • lsgmsu1
    lsgmsu1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Leslie! It's Lisa from SL. I recently went gluten free too. Since I hit puberty I have struggled with my weight too. I would lose, indulge in grains, get all types of tummy problems plus I have a potbelly that never seems to go away no matter how much weight I lose or how much I work out. In December, I read Wheat Belly by William Davis and realized how unhealthy modern grains are. This not only includes wheat but corn and rice too. I have 15 lbs to lose and I'm a bit frustrated by my lack of progress but I've noticed other changes since going grain free such as the sinusitis I usually have is much improved and my alternating constipation/diarreha/IBS symptoms I've had are way better. Good to see a familiar face on here!