Socially Awkward??

Options
kansasbelle
kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
Does anyone else feel that after the isoloation and shame of living with your situation so long that you don't know how to react in normal society. Before I met my husband I was fairly popular. Had numerous friends, went out on dates. Wasn't isolated and lonely. Now I feel so desperate for human interaction that I have forgotten how to particiapte in society. I do have some people I do things with, but no one close in my life like before. I just don't know how to be normal anymore. I know I end up making others feel awkward around me or end up pushing them away because I want to fit in so badly. I am completely socially awkward. I have forced myself to go out and try new things by myself which is terrifying. People just aren't clammoring to be friends with me. Maybe it's a pitty thing who knows. Just has anyone gone through this and how long does it take you to work through it?

Replies

• aaevictor
    aaevictor Posts: 9
    Options
    For me I have always been somewhat socially inept and I think that had but me in the situation that i was in. I was always self conscious and left like i wasn't good enough to have someone's love or reach for what i really wanted in life. But since the whole thing it has really empowered me to be a better person and to live life to the fullest and to be the happiest.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i don't know if i'm socially awkward or not...... i'm gun shy, and not all that trusting.

as for friends, i had some friends ( small group) that were very supportive of getting me OUT of my marriage and into a safe place. however, in the past year those relationships have ceased to some degree. i'm not 100% why. if it's that i make them uncomfortable. if it's that they liked MY drama, and now that the bulk of it is over i'm no longer exciting? i tend to believe it's more that they all assumed that once i was out and we were legally divorced, he would stop what he was doing. and he hasn't. yes, it's lessened and he can't get to me as easily, but, he hasn't stopped. and i'm guessing that most of them just don't know how to deal with that or what to do with it....... so, they do nothing. i only have like 2 friends that i talk to about anything personal anymore. the rest, all kinda go "deer in the headlights" look.

i find it VERY socially awkward to meet someone and try to explain why i had a long long relationship and a load of kids....... i think that's very hard for most people ( men) to understand.

most of the time, i'm content living in my little world. i have 5 little people that entertain me and keep me busy. we find loads of things to do. and i spend most of my free time working on my yard, going to the gym, spa, outings, etc. i'll even go to the movies alone! :-)