What works for me (when I allow it to!)

Options
shelbyweeeee
shelbyweeeee Posts: 154 Member
I too am a binge eater. I used to be an emotional eater (perhaps I still am if I'm binging?) I have lost 100lbs reaching my goal last year in September. I did it all without binging or doing anything unhealthy. I've been in therapy and support groups and found that I had my emotional eating under control... to the point that it stopped!! When I would stress out, I never even thought of food... one of the best feelings ever!

However, for the last 7 months or so, I can't seem to get a handle on it. I also have to go cold turkey. There is no "just one piece" mentality for me. It's all or nothing if I start. The only place I can do it that way is at work, but that's only because I don't want others to see lol... not that it matters though... they have seen me at my worst, and now at my best... and have watched me be able to eat literally what I wanted, and not have it affect me.

My binging goes as far as me actually planning to buy "binging foods" when I'm at the market. I refuse to do it with expensive healthy foods. It feels like a waste to me. I will buy crap foods to justify it. I can even put it away in my cabinets, just so I have it handy when the urge strikes (UUGGHHH!!!) I won't do it if I only have normal food in the house.... makes me angry that I plan it, that I purposely seek out to set myself up for failure like this.

The longest I've gone without binging in the 7 months is 1 month, that was back in February. I was fine. I felt great that I hadn't done it. Then I decided to indulge... sigh....

WIth all this being said though, I have found a way around it. But only if I allow it. IF'ing works very well for me. I have found that it helps to push me past the urge to eat unnecessarily, and also I can get through the sugar crave after a couple of hours. It's a very liberating freeing feeling. I like to be full. I like that heavy feeling in my stomach.... it's almost like getting a hug from someone (that the emotional side speaking).

I had to do a fast today. I ate last night at 9pm (which was after me, a jar of peanut butter and spoon hooked up together :mad: )... I just ate dinner now. I big dinner. I feel nice and full. I still have quite a few calories left to eat still before the night is over. Doing it this way will allow me to have the volume of food that gives me comfort and to maybe have something sweet. I've been dabbling with this for about a month now. I've done so much reading on it.... and it really works well. When I am actively doing it, I will eat only between 2:30 & 10:30pm. Sometimes, I will do a 24hr fast as well. I never ever get that hungry feeling, so even after that, I have to just eat to make sure I'm fueling my body properly.

The moment I start to eat at any point in the day, my need to binge begins. Just eating in general does this to me. So, since I've found something that works, and that I can customize it to fit my lifestyle, I need to make a conscious effort to stick to it!!

Very thankful to have found this group. Very sad that this is the first time I'm coming to realize the severity of my binge habits can be. I have been able to relate to everyone that has shared here.

/end babble :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Shawn8216
    Shawn8216 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love what you wrote, especially about emotionally eating. That is my problem as well when it comes to binge eating. I have a hard time dealing with sadness, stress, confusion [as in indecisiveness & afraid to make the wrong choice so I rather no make a choice] along with when I feel tired or bored, I dont know what to do so I eat instead of sleeping or occupying myself. Moreover, I'll allow myself a binge because I've been bad as in making having a minor slip up or procrastinating things so instead of DOING THOSE THINGS, I'll punish myself with a binge. Thing is though, I never learn my lesson :( I usually just wanna die and crawl into bed and sleep because Im soo disgusted with myself that I cant stand to be awake.

>>My binging goes as far as me actually planning to buy "binging foods" when I'm at the market. I refuse to do it with expensive healthy foods. It feels like a waste to me. I will buy crap foods to justify it. I can even put it away in my cabinets, just so I have it handy when the urge strikes (UUGGHHH!!!) I won't do it if I only have normal food in the house.... makes me angry that I plan it, that I purposely seek out to set myself up for failure like this.<<

^^ That is EXACTLY me. I have the mentality of "all or nothing" and "love" buying my binge food, which is mostly pretzels, cheese sticks, wheat cheddar cracker sandwiches (6 mini crackers in a pack) or granola bars, ESP chewys chocolate chip bar <3 I will say ONE SERVING and next thing I know, the box is gone and I'm left feeling sick to my stomach.

I've been seeing a therapist and nutritionist for my eating disorder [5 yrs ago, I was really bad & under weight] and now I'm just average kinda, but could def use to lose 10-15 pounds to be at a good healthy, not sickly weight!

>>When I am actively doing it, I will eat only between 2:30 & 10:30pm. Sometimes, I will do a 24hr fast as well. I never ever get that hungry feeling, so even after that, I have to just eat to make sure I'm fueling my body properly. <<

^^ My friend on here said something about this kind of fast. He sent me this link (http://www.leangains.com/) - is this where you got your idea from. Also, how does it work for you?? I want to try that because I feel that'll help me not feel so CLOSE to my food for the wrong reasons. I'm working on all the things suggested to me by my health professionals like BE INTUITIVE and only eat until you are first. And if you are unsure, WAIT 10 MINS and see if you're still hungry.

BUT it's like you said, what works for me WHEN I ALLOW IT TOO ... Good luck on being binge free, way to go girly!!

Thanks for being so honest :flowerforyou:
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am so impressed that you made it 7 months with no binges. Good for you!!!

I have found fasting to be a good solution as well. Once I get past the hunger it makes me feel free and strong and then I have no craving for bad foods. It is like hitting a reset button, then I only want food for fuel.
  • shelbyweeeee
    Options

^^ My friend on here said something about this kind of fast. He sent me this link (http://www.leangains.com/) - is this where you got your idea from. Also, how does it work for you?? I want to try that because I feel that'll help me not feel so CLOSE to my food for the wrong reasons. I'm working on all the things suggested to me by my health professionals like BE INTUITIVE and only eat until you are first. And if you are unsure, WAIT 10 MINS and see if you're still hungry.

BUT it's like you said, what works for me WHEN I ALLOW IT TOO ... Good luck on being binge free, way to go girly!!

Thanks for being so honest :flowerforyou:

Yes, this. I've read up on lean gains, ESE, Fast-5 etc... they are all basically the same thing for the purpose I'm using it for. I just make a set time to fast and decide on when my feeding window will be. When I make up my mind to do it, I've always been successful. Never failed once. Yet!

Happy to say though, I've been binge free for 2 days now! YAY! One day at a time. And when that is to much, one meal at a time... :smile:
  • shelbyweeeee
    Options
    Thank you. I am so impressed that you made it 7 months with no binges. Good for you!!!

I have found fasting to be a good solution as well. Once I get past the hunger it makes me feel free and strong and then I have no craving for bad foods. It is like hitting a reset button, then I only want food for fuel.

It's actually backwards lol... I've been binging for 7 months, but only with 1 month in that time where I didn't, which was in February. As of today, I have 2 binge free days in a row!

That is exactly how I feel... strong, that I am able to get a handle on my eating. Once the sugar crave passes, I feel like I can take on anything! Thankfully, I don't get hunger signals... the cravings are the challenges I face...