How often do you crossfit?

Options
kekl
kekl Posts: 382 Member
Hi everyone - I'm new to the group and crossfitting, I was wondering how many WOD's you get in every week.

I did some googling and crossfit.com recommends 2 days on/1 day off or even 3 days on/1 day off. Currently I've been doing 1 day off/ 1 day on. On my off days, I will get in other exercise such as running or using the elliptical on the gym, although I aim to take 1 complete rest day a week where I don't do anything at all, excluding a walk or something like that.

How many times do you crossfit a week?
Do you think 1 day on/ 1 day off is hurting my progress? I know I am new but I would like to get better at it.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• lostalykat
    lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for 3 days on 1 day off this week. The last 2 weeks I was only able to make it to 2 of the classes but I was sore the entire week after those 2 classes. This week seems better. Are you doing this at a gym or on your own?
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I'm new to the group and crossfitting, I was wondering how many WOD's you get in every week.

I did some googling and crossfit.com recommends 2 days on/1 day off or even 3 days on/1 day off. Currently I've been doing 1 day off/ 1 day on. On my off days, I will get in other exercise such as running or using the elliptical on the gym, although I aim to take 1 complete rest day a week where I don't do anything at all, excluding a walk or something like that.

How many times do you crossfit a week?
    Do you think 1 day on/ 1 day off is hurting my progress? I know I am new but I would like to get better at it.

Thanks for reading!

When I started I did 2 on 1 off...then I got lazy and did 2 on 2 off. THENNN I started becoming mildly obsessed and did 6 days on MINIMUM. Since the summer started I've been doing M-F and taking the weekends off.

I do not believe that 1 on 1 off is hurting you. 4 days a week is definitely adequate! How is your body responding? Are you overly sore? I always see how I feel...if there are times when I can go for 10 or even 20 days on (this has yet to happen and will probably NEVER happen haha) so be it! Your body will let you know when you need a rest. Throwing in an only-cardio day or a yoga class as an active rest never hurt either.

Good luck!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I work out at the gym two days and crossfit 3 days so my schedule goes: gym crossfit rest gym cf cf rest
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    My current scedule is this:
    Monday pm - powerlifting
    Tuesday pm - olympic lifing
    Wednesday am - crossfit
    Thursday am - crossfit
    thursday pm - powerlifitng
    Friday am - crossfit
    Saturday am - powerlifting followed by crossfit

Generally though I will skip either the thurs morning or friday morning CF if I am going to be around for the satu session. If I am not going to be around for the weekend I will do the whole week.
  • luminousluz
    luminousluz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    One day on, one day off is not bad! That's still getting in 4 WODs a week with some recovery time as you get used to it. This is what has been working for me:

3 days on
    1 day off
    2 days on
    1 day off

(5 scaled WODS per week)

This schedule has been working for me since I started CF in March, but I am thinking of adding one more day of CF to go down to only one day off, and maybe take up yoga for my day off (Sunday).
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    for the past 3 years I mostly go 5 days a week, the past 2 years I have 1 or 2 days I double wod - I try to take a week off every month and a half
  • shaunasmith303
    shaunasmith303 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sundays - Run
    Mondays - WOD
    Tuesdays - Yoga and Run
    Wednesdays - WOD
    Thursdays - Body Pump
    Fridays - WOD and Yoga
    Saturdays - REST
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Monday thru Friday, weekends off. Though I'm thinking of going on the Saturdays I don't have other plans. When I started it was Mon/Wed/Fri but I didn't like having all those days off. I recently was sick and stayed home for 9 days, and I hated it! So glad to get back to work.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    m-f... going to start going in the mornings for the regular WOD and then back in the evenings for a strength WOD and an endurance WOD and skillwork...

I'm not mildly obsessed at all..... nooooo, not me......
  • victoria4321
    Options
    How are you guys able to go so often?? Aren't you dead after scaling up your WODs and what not?? I'm talking about the two a days mainly.
  • cmay89
    Options
    How are you guys able to go so often?? Aren't you dead after scaling up your WODs and what not?? I'm talking about the two a days mainly.

quite dead, but I've been at this over 2 years now... plus I am bull-headed, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to reach my goals. I enjoy competing in crossfit competitions and I want to win one one day. I also have my own motivations for crossfitting... I have bed-ridden family members that are not able to be fit. I work out for them. I live the life that their bodies won't allow them to. Obviously if I am run down and just too tired, I'll take a rest day or two, but I live in a state of perpetual minor soreness and I just don't want to live any other way. I love it and will do it as much as my body will allow
  • victoria4321
    Options
    I'm trying to work up to 5 days a week one day. When I'm able to do everything RXd I think I'll go more often
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

I think its just about programming, I train at a small box with a trainer I've been with for years so she knows exactly what we are doing all week. The times where I have seen problems and injuries is at bigger boxes where people just rock up and do whatever sessions like they would a Les Mills class, if that ends up meaning overloading one muscle group you're in trouble.

I also think crossfitters need an off-season, all the people I know that compete properly do that. They train up for the games and afterwards change it up and just concentrate on skills or strength or something. A couple of years ago I was doing just crossfit, hardcore and I ended up just busted, at physio every other week etc. I had 6 months off, just mostly doing powerlfting and I got stronger and my body recovered.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm down to a 2 day a week membership for $ and coomute, this makes me sad but the drive was killing me. I also do NROLW with my moms 2 days a week and then sometimes throw in a day of sprint work or some WOD stuff I can do at home. I've been trying to follow the 3 on 1 off but sometimes it turns into 3 on 2 off. I never have a regular weekly schedule.

Anything you are doing is better than nothing and you'll be able to do more consecutive days as you get stronger. Just starting out you don't want to over do it.
  • jenaissance
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to live very near my box. It's a 4 minute drive or a 20 minute walk away!
  • cmay89
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to live very near my box. It's a 4 minute drive or a 20 minute walk away!

omg that would be awesome to be able to walk to my box!!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    That would be awesome. There is one literally right around the corner from where I am moving to. I would love to go there, we'll have to see how the $$ plays out.
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm going from (mostly) couch potato to Cross Fit as a new gym is opening a block from my house. I signed up for a membership and was planning to start with a Tue/Thur/Sat morning CF schedule and once I'm seeing some progress, I'll re-evaluate the schedule.
  • jenaissance
    Options
    I'm going from (mostly) couch potato to Cross Fit as a new gym is opening a block from my house. I signed up for a membership and was planning to start with a Tue/Thur/Sat morning CF schedule and once I'm seeing some progress, I'll re-evaluate the schedule.

I started with Mon/Wed/Fri but after about 6 weeks I didn't feel like it was enough (and I was missing out on good times with great people!). I've been doing Mon-Fri for close to 12 weeks now and can't stand to miss one of my days!
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    3 or 4 days a week is perfect for me.