New here and need some advice

Options
min531
min531 Posts: 8 Member
Hey everyone. My names Mindy. I'm 24 and pregnant with my second child. Before I had my son I weighed about 110 lbs and during my pregnancy, they kept telling me I wasn't gaining enough weight and needed to eat more (add an extra scoop of ice cream a day in fact) lol. Well then I hit 145 and they wanted me to stop gaining weight (this was around 30 some weeks). But it was too late, I was hooked on eating all the time. I had my son and left the hospital at 140lbs. From that point on (March 2011 to Jan 2012) I could not lose my baby weight, I have a very high heart rate which made cardio almost impossible. I ended up getting a trainer to help me lose the weight, get in shape and work on cardio to strengthen my heart to hopefully help (It's not the number that bugs me, it's how I feel and I just want to be in shape so I won't be so tired and I have more energy). Then I found out I was pregnant.

When I went to the doctors I weighed 140 lbs (8 weeks). When I went back around 16 weeks I weighed 136 lbs (My trainer said I had lost measurement sizes in my thighs, arms and chest, but of course my belly was getting bigger) and my stomach measurements and the baby were measuring right on track. But the doctor wasn't happy with my weight gain. I explained that i drastically changed my eating habits. I eat more vegetables and fruits, Chicken, almost completely cut out processed foods, and I was working out 2 - 3 days a week. She said she wanted me to start eating more, even adding more ice cream (which I wasn't eating very often at all) and to do what I needed to gain weight. Well she was expressing how important being active and working out was, now she was acting like she wanted me to stop.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm almost to my next appointment date. Which will be in about a week and a half. I currently weigh 142 lbs. I started keeping track of my exercise, sets, reps, cardio and what I eat. I'm eating at a minimum of 1500 calories (i know is low but sometimes i get super tired lol but almost always i eat about 1800 or a little more, she told me to eat about 300 more than normal, which wanted at about 1500) but I don't want to gain as much as they are wanting. I explained that I lost measurements because of working out (which was probably the fat from the first baby in my opinion because it was in the first 3 months of pregnancy) but i'm growing in my belly, eating enough. I don't know what I should do. They want me to gain about 20 to 30 more lbs in 16 or 17 weeks. I am enjoying working out because I feel amazing. It has helped so much with my energy, I don't hurt as badly and it helps with my hip pain.

I'm not trying to seem selfish at all, but during my first pregnancy and after I felt so terrible, I was exhausted. My husband leaves a lot for work so I'm on my own a lot and I can't afford to be tired all the time. I don't want to feel like that anymore.We would go to the park and I would get out of breath and exhausted. I was super proud of myself for doing so well with my eating habits and exercising but now they are wanting me to stop that and start being lazy and eating crap it seems. I don't know if I should continue with what I'm doing or suck it up and stop and do what they tell me.

Sorry this is so long. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you so much.

Replies

• mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would find another doctor or get a 2nd opion. . MY SIL doctor was the same way when she was pregnant. I think to make u feel bad and keep telling u different things would be very frustrating. To discourage u to not be healthy and eat ice cream is very unprofessional in my opinion. if there is nothing wrong with you or the baby and ur not at high risk. I'd keep doing what ur doing.. Working out is a wonderful energy booster for me as well. I wont be stopping any time soon. I'll be in my 2n'd trimester next week and havne't gained any weight yet. But i did start at 164.. Listen to what ur body is telling u to do. If ur comfortable and happy and healthy and have energy I wouldn't change anything. Maybe slowly increase the calorie intake...
  • cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I, too, would look for another doctor. Ice cream? Weird. I have been told to add a cup of yogurt, but never something unhealthy.
  • min531
    min531 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This was the same doctor I had with my son, and I adore them and I think they are just more laid back and want you to enjoy things as well, but this is something we can't agree on. I'm going to see what happens at my next appointment. If it's the same situation I will have to see what I can do. I mean I enjoy myself some things sometimes, but I don't want to sit back and lose the progress I have made the last 6 months.

Thank you so much for the advice. I didn't know if i was just being ridiculous or not .
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    i am going to a high risk obgyn and if your bmi is 25 or over you only need to gain 11-20 lb. my doctors would never say eat more ice cream they would say eat another small healthy meal or add a glass of 2% or whole milk with dinner.

i would say go with your gut on the weight department.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi, im not sure what to suggest but I wouldnt go crazy on ice cream and if baby measures correct then I guess you are doing the right thing?

Im in the Uk and suppose we are lucky as we get weighed at first appointment and they dont weigh you again! Just check baby size throughout. Seems a lot less stressful.
  • Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi, im not sure what to suggest but I wouldnt go crazy on ice cream and if baby measures correct then I guess you are doing the right thing?

Im in the Uk and suppose we are lucky as we get weighed at first appointment and they dont weigh you again! Just check baby size throughout. Seems a lot less stressful.

That is fabulous! I love that they don't weigh you. It IS very stressful here. It's ridiculous having to stand on the scale every time, especially at the end when you gain and gain no matter what happens.

To OP: If you're happy with your doctor then I wouldn't worry about it. Some doctors are very "strict" on the "recommendations" for pregnant women. And I've heard many doctors recommend ice cream. It's high in fat and calcium that pregnant women need. Choosing high quality ice cream with few ingredients would be preferable to a McDonalds milkshake, of course. Just enjoy your pregnancy and don't worry too much about it. If baby is measuring okay then all is well!
  • pcedano
    pcedano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hmmm very confusing. In my case my doctor only wants me to gain 11-20 lbs in this pregnancy because I started it weighing 180lbs! She even said that if I loose weight it won't be a problem as long as it doesn't effect the baby's growth rate. So in other words if the baby is measuring right on track a couple of pounds lost won't be an issue. http://www.babycenter.com/0_pregnancy-weight-gain-what-to-expect_1466.bc?page=1#articlesection1 this link should help you....find out what was your BMI before pregnancy and that should give you a starting point into how much weight you should gain. My sister-in-law during her first pregnancy gained almost 50lbs and she started her pregnancy overweight (5 feet tall and weighing 140lbs), she became pregnant after 8 months of have given birth (she had only lost 20lbs...170lbs start weight for 2nd pregnancy) when she went in for her 13 week appointment she had lost 20lbs!! Her doctors were worried but the sonogram showed the baby with a strong heartbeat, measure to-date, and the placenta was in a good condition. However they did send her to a nutritionist but other than that her and the baby are doing great, she is due in October.
  • EliseMarie24
    EliseMarie24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure the doctor is giving you the best advice, which in my opinion has got to be frustrating. I think if our are eating well & don't go too crazy at gym sessions then your doing good. I'm not a professional but that's just my opinion. My midwive always give me different healthy ideas when I need to add something different or more of to my diet. If you like this doctor other than him telling you to not exercise & eat bad then maybe try explaining to him how you feel about good diet & exercising. Good luck :)
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I also think telling you to eat ice cream everyday is really bad advice. If she wants you to gain or maintain a healthy weight...eating ice cream is not the way to do it! Add more protein or things like yogurt. Ice cream has a lot of sugar and fat that is much harder for a pregnant body to break down and process.

I am blessed with a OB who isn't focused on weight, but on fitness and nutrition. I am not happy with my weight gain, but I am the only one. My OB says as long as I am eating well (sometimes I fail, but I really do try) and exercise 3-4x a week he doesn't care. I wish I could halt my weight gain because I had lost 62lbs before getting pregnant and now have gained 30lbs and am only 23w. It REALLY bothers me...but my OB is of the opinion I may be one of those who just gains weight while pregnant no matter what I do.

My advice would be to eat healthy, keep up the exercise as long as it isn't causing pain or problems, and to tell your doctor you do not agree with her advice. If you really want a healthy pregnancy stay away from the processed and fatty foods. As a treat once in a blue moon it isn't going to hurt, but to have these things everyday?!? You will gain weight and it will not be a healthy gain.