Bike Trails in SW Michigan

Options
kace406
kace406 Posts: 80 Member
I'm getting a bicycle for my birthday and was looking for bike trails in the area (I live in Marshall, work in Kalamazoo), but most of what I seem to be finding say specifically 'Mountain Bike trail'. I'm planning to get a comfort series bike and want to ride safely on a bike path rather than in the middle of the road, but I'm not really wild about crazy hills or something challenging that is considered mountain biking...at least not yet. Any ideas?

Replies

• dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    I know a few in Monroe and Dundee. That's where I usually go.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Kal Haven Trail

Awesome. . .
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Island Lake Bike Trail in Brighton suppose to be real nice have different paths for different experience level. http://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/island-lake.html. 1.5 hour or so drive but the area is real nice and theres a nice state park which has a couple lakes and alot of walking trails along with some paved side walks throught for running or bicycling thru there also. Heres another link if interested http://www.michigantrails.us/livingston-county-michigan/island-lake-state-recreation-area.html
  • kace406
    Options
    Thanks all! I will definitely check these out. I've heard of Kal-Haven, but never really investigated it....that could be great.

As far as Brighton goes...I've never been there, but we do have friends that live there, so that could definitely be a good weekend trip.
  • myntric
    myntric Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Celery Flats Trail in Portage is nicely paved and bike friendly. If you start by the Portage Library, it's right around 7 miles round trip on the trail, but also connects to to the Millenium Trail in Portage if you want to switch it up.

If you are closer to the Kalamazoo side, the trail ends (or starts, depending on how you look at it) right at the corner of Lovers Lane and Kilgore.
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Smart move to avoid the "mountain bike trails"....I started riding years ago, and the first time out I went out to a park in cass county, and thought what the heck why not take the "extreme" trail......HAHA....what was like 6miles felt like about 50 miles by the time I was done.
    I started working up to it from there so it was more fun.......

But, I haven't been riding for years now so it would be the same thing all over again.
  • kace406
    Options
    The Celery Flats Trail in Portage is nicely paved and bike friendly. If you start by the Portage Library, it's right around 7 miles round trip on the trail, but also connects to to the Millenium Trail in Portage if you want to switch it up.

If you are closer to the Kalamazoo side, the trail ends (or starts, depending on how you look at it) right at the corner of Lovers Lane and Kilgore.

This is great info! Thanks!! I work in Portage and people I work with run at Celery Flats, but I'd never considered biking it.