Cardio vs Lifting

Options
downsizinghoss
downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
Ok, we haven't had a new topic in a little while and I have been working on my own mix lately.

When I started seriously trying to lose weight, I focused on the part that had always been my achilles heel.

I hated cardio and saw it as the only way to lose weight.

I had frequently been considered strong but fat and had always enjoyed lifting, but I focused and beat my weakness and what I thought was critical.

Well, I did pretty good and can wear the **** out of an elliptical machine, but I think I went too far. I have started trying to work weights back in frequently.

I am flatlined forever here and trying to mix it up.

What mix are you using of cardio vs strength training?

Replies

• Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I have flat-lined, too. I have been using circuit for about 2 weeks and finally found some downward motion!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I lift three days a week full body.

I have been doing more cardio lately walking or jogging 4or5 days. Partially I'm heavy on the cardio because I'm doing a half marathon in October. The idea of training for something other than weight loss really appeals to me. Its much more motivating to me.

I also have one or 2 rest days.

I'm working on endurance now and the lifting is there just to preserve some muscle mass.

I haven't stalled yet but my weight loss did drop off a pound or two last month.
  • cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    Options
    I hate lifting, but I know that I need to do more. A lot more. Like, any ... I have a modest regimen I'm supposed to be doing on the Nautilus circuit at my gym and lately I've been neglecting even that.

I hate cardio too, but not as much as lifting, and it's always been fairly easy for me to get a cardio workout done. Of course, yesterday was my first attempt in a couple of weeks to do a long walk outside instead of a gym workout, and what happens? I tweak a calf muscle. AGAIN. So frustrated.
  • GregB76
    GregB76 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I just recently started saying the hell with the scale and started lifting again. I still do 30 minutes of cardio post weigh lifting workout. I work back and biceps together and chest and triceps together. Legs are honored with their own day. I hit my shoulders and other parts with my different exercises I do. I lift 6 days a week. Rest day on Sunday, except for cardio which I do 7 days a week. I lost 133 pounds going only cardio in a little over 10 months, but felt like I was the weakest I've ever been in my life. Now getting back on track with strength training. I feel so much better lifting again, not only mentally but physically. Ok guys, take care and god bless.
  • wil9
    wil9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just starting to exercise. I thinking about getting a exercise bike over the weekend.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I get most of my exercise from bike riding, walking and occasional Wii fit. I would like to start some kind of strength training, but I don't want to go to a gym. I've been looking into kettle bells. Does anyone use kettle bells? It seems like it's something I can benefit from at home. I appreciate some feedback.
  • cbeutler
    Options
    Scloyd I've used kettelbells a few times. They are great I'd take a couple classes. You might be better off doing p90x or something like it though. You should get a full body workout that way.
  • mrincredible93
    Options
    I'm working with a trainer at the gym so this is some of his advice to me: Muscle confusion is your friend! Change up your exercise routine every 2 weeks. Go to the machines you never go to or that you hate and force yourself to try them. Change the time of day of your exercise - If you always exercise for an hour in the morning 4 days a week, change for 2-3 weeks to 1.5 hours 3 days in the afternoon. Or, morning one day, afternoon next. If you always do the same level on the elliptical or the treadmill or any cardio machine, change it up...use the random setting. Instructor led spinning is also great because no 2 classes are identical. He also has me doing super-sets which have been melting the weight off me (14 lbs in 5 weeks). This is weight lifting but no rest between sets. Instead alternate exercises with a complimentary set of something else. One of my groups today was alternating arm laying chest press and seated dumbell flys, 3 sets each. In between groupings of exercises go to the stair stepper or elliptical and do a 1 minute sprint then on to the next grouping of 2 complimentary exercises. And then remember a protein intake recovery within 30 minutes after finishing your workout.
    I'll be posting more advice from my trainer as I go along so other mid-40's guys are invited to add me to their friend list.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Study after study shows that for MEN, fat loss is faster via strength training at high intensity.
  • dmmihelcic
    dmmihelcic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Cardio 6-7 days a week. Either elliptical in the gym at work or running with Kip the Wonder Dog at home.
    Strength training 3-4 days a week. Use a bowflex and some free weights.
    Calisthenics the days I don't do strength training. Working on the abs mostly
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love cardio and I despise lifting. I'm sure I will get into lifting this winter, but the idea of exercising indoors when it is this beautiful out just makes me sad. I even suspended my gym membership until late fall. I just won't go in there so there isn't any point.
  • cbeutler
    Options
    I love cardio and I despise lifting. I'm sure I will get into lifting this winter, but the idea of exercising indoors when it is this beautiful out just makes me sad. I even suspended my gym membership until late fall. I just won't go in there so there isn't any point.

Check out Mark's daily apple and learn about HIIT it may be just what you are looking for.