Breakfast cereals

Options
Zvyezda
Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
I'm fed up with my Weetabix!!! Any ideas on good, low fat, breakfast cereals that keep you full for as long as possible?!

Replies

• paulipet
    paulipet Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi - I quite like All Bran Golden Crunch with some blueberries.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    For a cereal to have with milk, I love Grapenuts. They stay crunchy for a while.

To stay full, I tend to eat oats or muesli with greek yoghurt. Muesli is higher fat due to the nuts, though.

There's always porridge!
  • Bellini500
    Bellini500 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I find either Quaker Morning Oats or Alpen Porridge fills me up nicely till lunchtime. I especially like the Alpen Apple & Raspberry which is the only porridge I have ever been able to eat!
  • Zvyezda
    Options
    Yeah porridge is the best but not practical for me as I just need something I can put in a plastic box and top up with milk when I get to work :-)
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I sometimes mix muesli with plain low-fat yoghurt.
  • FlittyGetsFit
    Options
    Shreddies and bite size shredded wheat are what I have. Or rather, the supermarket own brand! Keeps me going nicely till lunch :)
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    how can you get fed up with weetabix, ive lived with the smell for 64 years. its made not far from here and as a kid the factory was just up the road i lived in. now i smell it when its going to rain. back to the subject oats are good.
  • richUK
    richUK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm mainly doing Porridge Oats at the moment - the pre-measured sachets by Dorset Cereals & Oat So Simple.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I like my blueberry wheats. And Original Alpen. :smile:
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you want something that you feel like you get a large plateful try puffed wheat. It is so light that a portion looks massive. Is mainly air though.

What I often do though is mix have a portion of puffed wheat with half a portion of another cereal. It bulks it out, but you get something more interesting than puffed wheat.
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Porridge only I'm afraid. For me cereals are too processed. I would say to pick the ones highest in fiber and with he fewest corm syrups or other stuff!! (that's just me though!!) good luck! :0)
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I like Oats so Simple - you can cook one of these in the microwave in 2 minutes! I also like Special K Oats & Honey - delicious!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered Lidl fruit and nut granola which I've been having with natural yoghurt and fresh berries when I have them (I love strawberry season!). I also like swiss style muesli (Alpen) or porridge. These are all pretty filling and don't have aritficial nasties in them.
  • ae2rigc
    ae2rigc Posts: 37
    Options
    Two recomedations from me..

Quaker Oats So Simple in the tub - just add hot water and munch, dead easy for the works canteen and no faffing with milk and microwaves, spoon of jam or peanut butter for added lovlinesss.

Honey nut bite sive shredded wheat, pretty good numbers and keeps me full a LOT longer than weetabix. Weetabix at 7am, I'm starving by half 9! :)
  • helganog
    helganog Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Second the bite-size shredded wheat (I have 20g of sultanas with mine).
    I have muesli soaked overnight in fruit juice then add a little yoghurt when I eat it - sometimes grate an apple in to bump up my fresh fruit intake (skin as well) = delicious!
  • mikem45
    mikem45 Posts: 35
    Options
    I had Alpen for the first time about 4 weeks ago and I love it had it every morning since then
  • Zvyezda
    Options
    Hmm, thanks for your suggestions guys, I think I;ll give the shredded wheat a go. I've always hated them actually but the main thing goal is not to be starving again by 10!
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm fed up with my Weetabix!!! Any ideas on good, low fat, breakfast cereals that keep you full for as long as possible?!
    Aldi swiss style muesli and aldi really nutty muesli 50/50 mix. Keeps me going till 12 - 12.30.
  • ae2rigc
    ae2rigc Posts: 37
    Options
    I think I;ll give the shredded wheat a go. I've always hated them actually

Plain ones are bleurch but the honey nut are nice.
    And i seem to remember one of the supermarkets does them in own brand with apricot and raisins in the middle, they're fab.
  • TinnedTuna
    TinnedTuna Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Porridge seems keeps me fuller for longer, i have a little honey in it just to make it a little sweeter, sometimes a banana chopped into slices mixed in the porridge is nice, just for a change.