UK Snacks!

Options
deedlit90
deedlit90 Posts: 31 Member
Hi all! I am getting a bit bored of the snacks I take to work, and just wondered what you guys have?

I sit behind a desk all day, so I can’t really have anything too messy or smelly! I normally just have fruit (I change up the fruit I get every week to keep variety!) and a low calorie pack of crisps, but am thinking of trying to get something different from crisps as I’m trying to eat healthier and not just worry about calories…

I’ve tried nuts as a snack as well, but by the time you have weighed out a ‘portion’ you don’t seem to get that many!

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Replies

• KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I recently came across the same dilema!

I have recently changed my packet of crisps that I used to have mid afternoon, for rice cakes from Holland & Barrett! These are a much healthier option and 1 large cake only equates to about 32kcal, which is awesome! Also I think I stay fuller for longer on them, although the yeast extract flavour ones I have at the moment, probably don't go down to well with my colleauges! :ohwell:

:smile:
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Tesco do these boss dutch crispbakes, 29 cals each and you can add different toppings! It's like having stuff on toast but at a fraction of the cals!

I've had on them;
    Ham, phili & tomato
    Ham, mayo & tomato
    Salmon, scrambled egg & ketchup
    Tuna mayo & sweetcorn relish
    Ham, phili & olives
    Nutella

Also Special K mini bites are dead tasty!
  • AstyPasty
    AstyPasty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like rice cakes too, they come in all different flavours and are surprisingly tasty. I tend to do like you at work and just bring fruit in for a snacks, I also sometimes have hot bovril, but that is quite high in salt.

Today I've brought in some Laughing Cow Light cheese triangles which are only 25 calories each.
  • AHoggins
    AHoggins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I bought a popcorn maker, one that uses air to pop the popcorn. I normally have around 12g which is quite a lot when you weigh it out and it is very low around 46 calories .
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    popcorn and carrot. Munching on a carrot stick is time consuming and filling!
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I'm a fruit girl too. Popcorn could be the way to go if you make your own - i like to sprinke cinnamon. Addicted to activia summer berry greek yoghurt yummy!
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I work in an office desk-bound too! I've swapped my low fat crisps on most days - for plain unsalted cashew nuts or peanuts. I weigh out 25g into a small tupperware thing so I can't eat too many. But I know what you mean at how few you get as 25g equates to about 145 cals. Pistachio nuts are a good option as you have to take the shells off them so take a bit longer to eat, but can get a bit messy. I like the Healthy Snack section that Tesco do in their fruit section, different snack options in small bags, mixed dried fruits, nuts, seeds etc. I especially like their seaweed peanut crackers and black pepper rice crackers, and the savoury seed mix.

As well as one of the above options I also take usually an apple, a banana, cereal bar (I like the Nature Valley oat ones and also Alpen Light), satsumas - as you can see, i'm a bit of a grazer when I'm at work!!!!
  • deedlit90
    Options
    Thanks everyone, your suggestions are inspiring! I'm going to make a list and go hunting at the weekend!

I especially like the sound of seaweed peanut crackers! Gonna have to hunt them down in Tesco! :happy:
  • DefConJen
    DefConJen Posts: 20
    Options
    For a sweet treat, I've found that chocolate philadelphia (sound awful, tastes great) sandwiched between 2 icecream wafers, does the trick for under 100cals.

Even better, the philadelphia comes in single portion mini pots - no temptation to eat too much!
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. Have a huge fruit bowl here.
    Also love marmite flavoured rice cakes and Belvita Crunchy Oats biscuits. :flowerforyou:
  • rabiahassan
    rabiahassan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Alpen light - choc & fudge - think its 65 cals and 1g fat
    Snackajacks- from multipack- around 90 cals & 2gfat
    Weightwatchers yoghurt- 46 cals and 0.6g fat - Also alot of the WW snacks are low cal/low fat liek the crisps etc
    Soups- Heinz/Soups
    The WW bagels ( 156 cals ) are also yummy when toasted with light cream cheese or nutella

Hope that helps
    x
  • sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    I have 3 slices of ham with low fat coleslaw, come to about 110 calories. Also laughting cow extra light cheese, only 20 calories each wedge!. I do homemade fruit salad and a small pot of Irish diet Yogurt. Oh, I forgot I have the Graze box too! If I crave for chocolate, I have the mini kitkat which only has 89 calolries or a Options hot chocolate which has 40 calories.

Hope this help!
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I like the alpen light cereal bars at under 70cals each. Particularly reccommend the chocolate orange one.

And if you want something really chocolatey try the cocopops cereal bars, they are about 90cal each.

From peoples suggestions though, think I'm going to have to dig my popcorn maker out of the back of the cupboard. Love it, but it was really high syns on slimming world, which I was doing, so gave up on it.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. Have a huge fruit bowl here.
    Also love marmite flavoured rice cakes and Belvita Crunchy Oats biscuits. :flowerforyou:

Mmmmm, with you on both options there. I have the Belvita Crunchy Oats biscuits (2 of them) if I have cycled to work, I have bran flakes before I leave around 6.45am and then the crunchy oat biscuits around 9.30am with a cuppa!

My colleagues do tend to moan though about the smell if I get the marmite rice cakes out (or Tesco Salt & Vinegar for that matter) !!!
  • BoxingCoachMo
    Options
    I know some people snack on dried cereal like Cheerios, corn flakes etc.

My personal favourite is 70-85% cocoa chocolate. You can buy this from Tesco. As its lower in sugar it releases energy slowly :)
  • jaydemikaela
    jaydemikaela Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I get Graze boxes :) They're great!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I like the fairtrade Geo bars - apricot one is about 115ish cals, I think.

My husband (who's on here too) eats bananas like they're going out of fashion. About 100 cal for a banana, he says.

Yoghurt is nice and filling.

95 cal packs of cheese Wotsits aren't filling at all but are a treat. Ditto one Jaffa cake for about 50 cal.

I switch up the fruit - had heaps of cherries today.

And I drink lots of coffee 'cos I find a hot drink soothing and filling. (I should really take a jar of decaf to work and use that!)
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk too...start at 8:00 (whith a few cups of tea). I have a" Naked Bar" at 9:00 and my breakfast at 11:00 which is usually a bowl of fine milled oats, dried blueberries and cherries (not too much) chopped almonds and just before I eat them I add some semi skimmed milk and plain yoghurt...stir it all together and yum!!! I don't get hungry til way after 3:00!!! If I have had a tough workout the night before sometimes I bring an extra banana or apple or pear but I usually don't need it!! Good luck!! :0)
  • deedlit90
    Options
    Just want to say thank you for everyone's suggestions! I went shopping at the weekend and now have loads of new snacks to eat throughout this week! Hooray! :-)
  • lewist90
    lewist90 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Tesco do these boss dutch crispbakes, 29 cals each and you can add different toppings! It's like having stuff on toast but at a fraction of the cals!

I've had on them;
    Ham, phili & tomato
    Ham, mayo & tomato
    Salmon, scrambled egg & ketchup
    Tuna mayo & sweetcorn relish
    Ham, phili & olives
    Nutella

Also Special K mini bites are dead tasty!

Krisprolls :D well nice with houmous!!