What's the real, REAL reason you want to get fit?

Options
Nielasan
Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
Sometimes we feel bad about the way we look and want to change it. Most of the time though, feeling bad about yourself just isn't a powerful or positive motivation to make a real change to your lifestyle. That's really what its going to take. What's your push, dream, idea? What's your big plan?

Replies

• phodujour
    phodujour Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh, you know. Just tryna get sexy.
  • sambwilkes
    sambwilkes Posts: 22
    Options
    My real real reason is: because I want to be able to do stuff I can't do right now. I want to be able to do mud runs, obstacle courses, and maybe even a little parkour. I want to be able to sit in meditation and not have my legs start hurting because my joints are out of shape and my legs are flabby. I want to hike Mount Katahdin. So, my big plan = Tough Mountain Challenge in July, Race for the Cure in Sept, and a 10k trail race with my li'l brother the health nut in CA in November. Races are hugely motivating for me so, for now, I'm stickin' with it! :)

Also, p.s., hi all! :) I just found this group and liked the intro a lot, so I joined up. :) Hope you are having a great week so far.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of reasons but I think the deep down "real" reason is that I feel like I'm ready to settle down, meet a nice girl and be in a permanent serious relationship but I haven't really felt comfortable meeting anyone. I gained a lot of weight since I was younger and I don't really feel comfortable anymore. I feel awkward and unattractive and like no one would be into me.

/embarrassing.

Plus, I'm really into food politics/health issues etc. and I just want to move to a lifestyle that is more reflective of those values.
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options
    My real real reason is: because I want to be able to do stuff I can't do right now. I want to be able to do mud runs, obstacle courses, and maybe even a little parkour. I want to be able to sit in meditation and not have my legs start hurting because my joints are out of shape and my legs are flabby. I want to hike Mount Katahdin. So, my big plan = Tough Mountain Challenge in July, Race for the Cure in Sept, and a 10k trail race with my li'l brother the health nut in CA in November. Races are hugely motivating for me so, for now, I'm stickin' with it! :)

Also, p.s., hi all! :) I just found this group and liked the intro a lot, so I joined up. :) Hope you are having a great week so far.

I hear you! Parkour looks so cool and fun but I can't even climb over a fence, haha.
  • Nielasan
    Options
    yeah man, parkour is probably the funnest thing you could ever do on the planet. good luck, you could totally get there!
  • Nielasan
    Options
    I have a lot of reasons but I think the deep down "real" reason is that I feel like I'm ready to settle down, meet a nice girl and be in a permanent serious relationship but I haven't really felt comfortable meeting anyone. I gained a lot of weight since I was younger and I don't really feel comfortable anymore. I feel awkward and unattractive and like no one would be into me.

/embarrassing.

Plus, I'm really into food politics/health issues etc. and I just want to move to a lifestyle that is more reflective of those values.

guuuuurrrrl, you gon get sexy!
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options

/embarrassing.

guuuuurrrrl, you gon get sexy!

lol I hope so!!
  • jamonthelam
    Options
    my biggest reason is health right now! i'm a health major and after listening all year to how bad being overweight/obese is i decided it was finally time to get my **** together (it's not that i didn't know how bad it was before, but something about this being my MAJOR made me realize i really need to do something about it).

i spent most of last year dedicated to mental health so i thought, "i never thought i could be happy and now i am -- so why shouldn't i also be able to be thin?"
  • sambwilkes
    Options
    I hear you! Parkour looks so cool and fun but I can't even climb over a fence, haha.

Yup, same here! Although, I can now do almost one complete real, unmodified pushup, which is pretty much a miracle! So parkour is surely just a short ways from that, right?? :)
  • sambwilkes
    Options
    yeah man, parkour is probably the funnest thing you could ever do on the planet. good luck, you could totally get there!

Thanks! It looks cool and I like challenges re: strength, flexibility, and balance. But, first things first....master pushups, master pullups, and then maybe try jumping over a 5 gallon bucket without spraining something. :D
  • I have self esteem issues, and it would be one less thing to worry about. I think if I lost weight I might feel more confident and comfortable around people. Exercising also is stress relief, which I really need, and I've heard eating healthy can give you more energy. It might help me get out of my slump.
    I'm also really into food politics issues, and other things reflective of a healthy lifestyle, like meditation, so I probably should practice what I preach! :)