hate plateaus

Options
Last two weeks I have only lost .5 lbs. It is friggen annoying... Granted I have been lifting heavy, and I am sure my muscles are swollen... I am pretty sore right now from it.

I know all the reasons why loss may not be what it could be, but still want to see 3-4lbs in two weeks...

I have lost 112 lbs in 10ish months but wanted to hit 144lbs in 1 year, which is less than two months away. I don't see myself losing 32lbs in that short time.

We will see where it lands in 2 months, but I still hope for losing at least 22 more lbs.

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    totally can relate. My longest one was when I was in the 400's. I'd bounce from 415-420. Lasted 3 months! it sucked!!!
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    Your frustration reminds me of advise from a marathon training book I read. The advise was set your goal to finish. Do not put a time goal on yourself. Just think how horrible it would be to finish a marathon in 5.5 hours but be disappointed you didn't reach your goal of 5 hours. You did all that work and at the end of it you weren't happy or proud of yourself or your monumental accomplishment.

Here you've lost 112 FREAKIN' POUNDS and your frustrated because you think you may not hit some arbitrary goal. I'd bet that 10 months ago you thought you wouldn't really be successful at losing weight. Or at least you were pessimistic about your chances because you've tried numerous times before without success. ENJOY THE SUCCESS OF A THREE-DIGIT WEIGHT LOSS. You've earned it!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am sitting (and stuck) between 230 and 235... It is very frustrating, but I know there are more important things than the number on the scale. As long as I am eating in defecit, I know I am losing fat, and that is all that maters. Getting healthy.

It is rough to set weight loss goals and miss them, we need the modivation, but then the other side can take us off plan. Hang in there, you are doing great! It will come with time, just make sure you are doing it right and your body will catch up.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Agreed im stuck around 285 and its not budging...but my goal weight is 250...i do these challenges with these women that can hardly loose 10lbs over a 6 week period. I work out 2 hrs a day cycle around 100 miles a week on average. A year ago when i started at 420lbs i could only go 5-6 miles and it wore me out. Sometimes our expectations of ourselves as big guys gets set high bk we get use to the 4-5 Lb weight Loss.
  • sabotai
    sabotai Posts: 25
    Options
    Yea, I agree... With everyone that has posted so far. It is really hard to ever look back at how far I have come and just say, Wow I have done a great job, when I feel like I am not done.

I will get to my goals eventually, I should not put strict time goals on the loss at least not ones that make me disappointed.

I have 6 months or so until December 1st, and even if i lost 6 lbs a month I would be 212lbs. I don't even know if that weight is reasonable considering the amount of weight I would lose from surgery alone would be in the 30lb range. 6'3 182 lbs with a large, large frame... Not sure! Never having ever been skinny or a reasonable weight makes it hard to know.
  • ed395
    ed395 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yea, I agree... With everyone that has posted so far. It is really hard to ever look back at how far I have come and just say, Wow I have done a great job, when I feel like I am not done.

I will get to my goals eventually, I should not put strict time goals on the loss at least not ones that make me disappointed.

I have 6 months or so until December 1st, and even if i lost 6 lbs a month I would be 212lbs. I don't even know if that weight is reasonable considering the amount of weight I would lose from surgery alone would be in the 30lb range. 6'3 182 lbs with a large, large frame... Not sure! Never having ever been skinny or a reasonable weight makes it hard to know.

Target weight for a big guy is difficult - from my experience the charts can be way off. As an example I was in the the military for 4 years in my early twenties (20+ years ago). During that time my weight was between 220 and 230 (6'3" tall). The unit I was with did physical training tests every 3 months and anybody over weight according to the charts had to have a body fat calculation done by a medic (trained professional) with calipers. Given the weight according to the chart for me was around 180 pounds and I was usually 40-50 pounds above that, I had the benefit of the caliper test every 3 months. My body fat during this time was between 10% and 15%. There was no way I could have ever achieved the chart target weight. Conversely, there were a few tall "skinny fat" guys with tiny arms, skinny legs, narrow shoulders, and big guts that were obviously over weight but OK according to the charts. In my opinion, big guys need to figure out what works for them and not pay too much attention to the ideal weight according to a chart.

My suggestion would be to evaluate your body, how you look and fee, and your body fat % as you reduce weight. You may not know what your ideal weight is now, but you will when you achieve it. Lastly, don't be afraid to be heavy according to a chart if that is what works for you.
  • sabotai
    sabotai Posts: 25
    Options
    There was a test I read about to judge your frame size. It was to measure the width of your elbow around the outside from point to point. Basically the run down is if it is under 2 and 3/4 inches your frame is normal and over would be large. I have no injuries or anything to make my elbows larger, but mine measure over 4 inches. I mean my shoulder width is crazy and my wingspan is near 7 feet. I just know that I can get down around 220, but that is all i expect before surgery. I will end up under 200 when I get to have it all done.