No energy due to pain medication,

Options
kim8184
kim8184 Posts: 56 Member
Hi everyone, my name is Kim and this may be a little long. I need to give you a bit of a back story. In 2003 I had a gastric bypass and lost a lot of weight. I started out at 365 and ended up at 155. I was very happy with the results and kept the weight off for quite some time. I got hurt on the job in 06' and was put on extended disability and Social Security Disability. Oh, did I tell you all that I'm 46 years old. Well turns out that I blew out 3 disc's in my neck. I had to have them removed and have Cadaver bone put in and then have a plate fused over it to fuse the spine together. I also have Degenerative Disc Disease, Spondylosis and some type of Arthritis in the vertebrae. From being sedentary because of the injuries and the two failed neck surgeries that I had I gained back some of the weight I lost. When I started this journey, I was up to 238lbs. I am now down to 213 which I am so very happy about, but my weight loss has come to a screeching halt. My hubby turned our spare room into a workout room for me, we bought the Total Gym, I have a wonderful treadmill, and Inversion Therapy Table, free weight, two stability balls and numerous workout videos. My problem is that I don't have the energy to use it.

I take so many different medications that I am completely exhausted all day long. This my list: Percocet 10/650, Zanaflex 4mg. Klonopin 1mg, Celexa 20mg. Desyrel 100mg, and Gabapentin 600 mg. I take these throughout the day. I have also added a numerous amount of Vitamins to my list, like a multi, B-12, B-complex, Calcium, Magnesium, Fish Oil, D, E, Osteo ByFlex, C, and I'm sure there are more.

I just wondered if anyone else is in my boat and having trouble with the energy it takes to workout. I want to, and I know I have to to get back in shape but I just don't have the energy. I even have to take a 1 hour nap in the middle of the day to kind of give myself a boost.

So very sorry this is so long. I don't blame anyone if they don't respond, it's a lot to read. For those of you that do take the time to read it, thank you so much I truly appreciate any advice and help you may be able to give, Kim.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I also have Fibromyalgia, fun, fun.

Replies

• mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    Only thing that works for me is to get up and actually do it. I take 240mg of morphine plus other meds per day and the only way I can get my exercise done is if I force myself to do it. I know it's hard and I know I'll hurt but I get more energy from it than laying around. I hope this helps. I don't mean to sound mean but the only way to get it done is to do it;-)
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    wow! I don't know what to tell you. Is there any way to get off of some of the meds.......or at least cut back? Also is your diet REALLY clean. It makes a HUGE difference for me on energy level.......if I get rid of sugar and ALL processed carbs. And I eat very little whole carbs...........mostly veggies, lean protein and fruit. I wish you well dear. I am sure it must be very frustrating! Hugs, Dyanna
  • kim8184
    Options
    Dyanna, thank you for reading my post. No there is no way to cut back on the meds, what I posted is the cut back version believe it or not. Since Feb. I have been eating very clean. No sugar, while flour, potato's or processed foods. That is how I've lost the 25 lbs.
  • kim8184
    Options
    Mici, thanks for reading my post. No I don't think you were being mean, I know I have to just do it but it is so darn hard. I feel like I can barely make it up my steps sometimes I'm so tired. It is just ridiculous. I had my pain doc run some blood work on me and all my vitamin levels came back fine. I just don't know what to do.
  • donnawannalose
    Options
    Kim, I so know how you feel. I have fibro and energy level is hard. I was doing a lot worse though. My doctor changed and the new one seems to know more about treating fibro. She changed my meds and got me off the pain patch I was on. The pain patch was what was making me so tired. I am now taking cymbalta and tramadol, ibuprofen 800...... I'm trying to remember what else lOL They did cut me back and I feel better dealing with some pain than being a zombie. I do have a nerve stimulator implated and that helps with pain but doesn't involve medication. Just wish I didn't have to have another surgery soon because the battery is running out.

Anyway, I actually came here looking for help on this but what I do is use a stationary bike - it is recumbent and I just go as long as I can and I can't go very fast. I usually end up going between 10 to 15 minutes. I also press air with my arms LOL it is heavy air. I an only get to about 30. That is the best I can do. Good luck.
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Since doing water my med meds are not needed very much except on the days weather is changing or if i do not go to pool for 2 days in a row sometimes i really feel i can not go but after im there i feel better pool temp is important if u want the best results.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're going through so much when you're trying so hard! I think it's terrific that you haven't given up and are looking for answers to get yourself to a better place. I do understand because I have Fibro and that alone makes me so tired and hurting so bad some days that I can barely get out of bed, let alone do anything resembling exercise. And I take the minimum pain meds I can get by on too otherwise I get zoned out and/or want to just sit. That's no life.

So, a few suggestions: consider acupuncture, Reiki or other alternative healing method which works with your body's energy field, enlivens you and supports your well being. These things don't work overnight but with dedication will make a big difference. I personally learned and use Reiki everyday and don't know how I'd live without it. Besides promoting healing and reducing your pain levels, these methods will also relax you and that will also reduce your pain as stress and tension increase it. Another thing: learn to meditate. I do Transcendental Meditation every day and it's amazing to me how much it energizes and renews me. I don't know if other forms of meditation work as well but I'm sure any kind is better than none. Also, are you counting the every day things you do that also burn calories - walking, cooking, housework, etc? No matter how slowly you move these things they add up. Have you considered isometric exercise? This is a form of exercise that uses one part of the body to give resistance to another part and builds strength. It doesn't involve a lot of movement and yet is very effective. I'm sure you can find info online about it or find someone who can show you how to do it. I'll bet part of your fatigue comes from being deconditioned generally. One last thing: fatigue can be a symptom of depression. I know because I've had my struggles with depression and know how it can make you feel heavy and lethargic and disabled. And I don't believe it works to just throw meds at it. Real recovery from depression comes from psychotherapy where you deal with the underlying reasons for depression and resolve them.

Anyway, this is my 2 cents worth. I hope it helps. Hang in there, dear sister! I'll say a prayer for you because anyone working as hard as you are deserves a real break.

:happy:
  • clairegreen1974
    clairegreen1974 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know a little how you feel, you seem like many of us to have sunk into a bit of a depressive state, which alone can crush any sort of motivation and can and does make you feel lethargic and tired. when you already get that with your illness its like a vicious cycle.

However, what i would suggest is that you take it easy at first with the exercise, i know its hard, but even just a couple of minutes a day on your trainer, but keep it regular and do it everyday like a routine - like you do with your nap. even 10 minutes is better than nothing, that itself will raise your metabolism, and give you more energy, weird that exercise that you associate with tiring you out can invigorate!!

once you do a few weeks of 10 minutes, kick it up to 12 minutes, then 14 the week after, just do it gradually, if you try going all out for a half marathon, completely tire yourself out and leave yourself unable to do anything for days, it kinda defeats the purpose.

also - if you smoke - give up! I didn't realise just how tired and drained smoking was making me until i gave up!
  • lhulewsky
    lhulewsky Posts: 50
    Options
    I use most of the same meds you have listed and I too have fibro along with some other chronic pain issues. I know how it feels to have no energy to get started. I am on and off with the exercise but I know if I stop moving I won't get started again. I am currently laid up with my foot but plan to start working out again in a few weeks. I am doing the same thing with my diet in the hopes that it will help with the pain level. Like one of the other posters said the only real secret is to just force yourself to get up and do it. Start really slowly so you don't injure yourself in anyway. Add a little at a time and see how that goes. I would suggest maybe 10 minutes the first time. 10 minutes should be managable and then slowly work up from there. Don't give up. We are all in the same boat and can hopefuly encourage each other. I am sending you a friend request.
  • womanathewell
    womanathewell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Frustration is my enemy. I have no strength today. hope things are going better for you.
  • khaosstar
    khaosstar Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't have any real advice for ya, but I can commiserate and say that I have fibro along with a few other issues and am also taking the Zanaflex and Klonapin with the rest of my grab-bag... and those two can definitely take it out of you. I usually take the Zanaflex only at night before bed, but if I'm having a bad day and need to take it as needed, then I have no choice but to take a nap or fall asleep at whatever I happen to be doing.

All I can say is don't get discouraged in the long run if you miss a day or two (or more). I know firsthand that it can be hard to get back into the groove, but just remind yourself that it's worth it in the long run and you should do what you can, even if it's just a tiny amount for now. 5 reps of whatever is better than none, after all.