Let's talk mens fasion for a second.

Options
Rae6503
Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
ETA: FasHion. I hate it when I typo in the header.

My husband is NOT fashionable. Before I met him he dressed in the clothes purchased by the last girlfriend who shopped for him, yeah and they broke up in 1992, and it was 2002.... So anyway, I pretty much dress him. But he wears uniforms to work and is a pretty casual guy. He wears T-shirts and cargo shorts all summer. Sometimes polos or henely types if I make him.

However, he's started wearing those wicking fitness type shirts for everyday activity (not just for exercise). Is this acceptable? Shall I try to discourage this? I'm thinking I should....

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, discourage it. Not a good look for everyday.
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. I pushed it him to purge some of his old tees and bought him some new clothes. I have pictures from various vacations where he is wearing the same tshirt. I want to throw it away, LOL.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Mine is stuck on the same rotation of 5-6 rayon hawaiian shirts. They're ok, but every day?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. I pushed it him to purge some of his old tees and bought him some new clothes. I have pictures from various vacations where he is wearing the same tshirt. I want to throw it away, LOL.

Luckily my husband's deodorant ruins T-shirts (yes, it's lucky) so they don't stay in rotation for that long.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that my husband can dress himself. Our problem is that we both gravitate towards the same colors and often one of us has to change before we go somewhere. No twinsies!

And I veto the fabric wicking shirts for daily use. Is he going to workout? Did he just workout? Will he ever workout?
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. They do make those wicking shirts in a polo version (check the golf section) which can actually look quite nice with a pair of khakis. That being said, it's still not the best look for everyday. I suppose it's OK for running errands, but not on a date to a restaurant.

My guy's problem is he likes shirts with stupid sayings. One of his favorites has a picture of a weiner dog with an arrow pointing down to his crotch that says something like "say hello to my weiner" (honestly I can't remember what it says because I try so hard not to look at it and am embarrassed when he wears it in public!)

For you other ladies with fashion-challenged men, how do you gently approach the subject and get them dressing better? I tried buying him some nice polo shirts in all of his favorite colors, but he's worn one of them, one time. I've never even seen the others since I bought them. Any other ideas? I'm love my guy but hate his shirts!
    Mine is stuck on the same rotation of 5-6 rayon hawaiian shirts. They're ok, but every day?
    BTW- this cracked me up!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My husband has a style... but he's not the least bit fashionable. Mostly t-shirts and shorts, year round, sometimes a button down over the tee. And I like it that way.

My ex-boyfriend was pretty much a high maintenance fashionista himself. I'll take my husband in a Beavis & Butthead t-shirt*, cargo shorts and work boots over a douche who took longer to get ready than me any day! :laugh:

* I bought it for him. :blushing:
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My husband has a style... but he's not the least bit fashionable. Mostly t-shirts and shorts, year round, sometimes a button down over the tee. And I like it that way.

My ex-boyfriend was pretty much a high maintenance fashionista himself. I'll take my husband in a Beavis & Butthead t-shirt*, cargo shorts and work boots over a douche who took longer to get ready than me any day! :laugh:

* I bought it for him. :blushing:

YES! YES YES YES A THOUSAND TIMES OVER YES!! My ex, too, was a douche who insisted on buying stupidly "fashionable" (see: stupid stuff that no one but him and Italian male models in photographs wore)...and while he didn't take long to get ready, he still had that "I'm too sexy for your" attitude and it was beyond irritating.

My boyfriend now wears shorts and t-shirts year-round, pretty much (we live in Florida). He owns one pair of jeans for those few cold days we do get in the winter. :laugh: He also wears those moisture-wicking Columbia/Reel Legends shirts, short sleeve and long sleeved, for fishing...which he does a lot. I honestly don't mind his "style" one bit. He is a sport though, and always tells me "pick me out an outfit" whenever we go somewhere. I'd say a good 85% of his clothes were bought by me...the rest were bought by my mom, his mom, or stuff he's had since he was a teenager.:tongue:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    (see: stupid stuff that no one but him and Italian male models in photographs wore)

*shudder* Yes. A velvet sports coat. And no, he wasn't Prince. :laugh:
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    (see: stupid stuff that no one but him and Italian male models in photographs wore)

Prince would make me feel so un-fabulous. :laugh:
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    UGH! lol.
    My husband was a fashion nightmare when I first met him.

He's awesome because he'll let me help him shop. But it's still crazy what he will walk out of the house with.

My only suggestion is to offer to help him shop. Tell him it's all for him. Maybe he just doesn't realize all the stuff he can wear? Some guys just don't care. But they won't walk outside looking like an idiot either as it does affect self esteem. I let my husband express himself and buy what he likes but he compensates by making sure I like it too. Plus he can buy his cheesy Star Wars and Office Space t-shirts as well.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

My old manager used to wear one of those every causal Friday.

Thanks Ocarina for the tip, I'll try the shopping with him. You're probably right that he just doesn't know what else is out there. It's not like he has magazines to consult like me lol
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My husband is a T-shirt and shorts all the time kinda guy. He doesn't shave. Goes too long between haircuts and his hair grows unevenly. Starts lookling like Gumby by the time he goes. We can go somewhere and I'm in a dress and heels and he looks like he's going to the gym. LOL. I don't care. I hang on him like an accessory anyway.

He does let me have input if he needs to wear something nicer, but he's so used to T-shirts and shorts that he's only willing to go out on a very short limb...More like a nub...When trying to branch out. He's a keeper though.

I do have to add that I have a friend whose husband is VERY fashionable and he drives her crazy.
  • KimmyEB
    Options
    My husband is a T-shirt and shorts all the time kinda guy. He doesn't shave. Goes too long between haircuts and his hair grows unevenly.

LOL!! You just described my guy! :tongue: The no shaving thing is recent, though, since he's only started growing out his the beginning of this month, which I don't mind since I like facial hair on men. The haircut thing...gah! He doesn't get his hair cut--he does it himself. Same cut every time...the only style he's ever had the 3.5 years we've been together. And he goes too long between cuts. He always has me trim up the back for him....and I always say, "Why don't you just go get it cut! Men's cuts are very cheap!" "Why would I do that, when I can do it for free?" He offers to try to cut my hair to help me save money, but noooo thanks. :laugh: