Just started crossfit!

Options
lostalykat
lostalykat Posts: 683 Member
And I love it! I have already had a blister from monkey bars and today I think I might have overworked my forearm muscle. But he no pain no gain! I would love to have more Crossfit friends!

Replies

• DJStewie
    DJStewie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the cult, I see you have tried the kool-aid =)
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    hey hey hey, I got scolded for calling it a cult! (Though we all know it is... mmm good koolaid...)

Welcome! Feel free to add me, I've been doing CrossFit for a couple months now and love it. Because of time constraints, and the fact that some crazy person (me) decided to sign up for a triathlon, I've been only going twice a week... Can't wait for June 1 when I start unlimited!
  • lostalykat
    Options
    Hey Aggiesrar05, looks like we did things the opposite. I just recently came off a year of doing triathlons and now I am doing crossfit LOL

PS I can't sit down without pain...it will be interesting to see how CF goes today.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I started 3 months ago and go 6 days a week now :) We did the Murph hero wod yesterday, my legs are angry!
  • runcrissierun
    runcrissierun Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just started Crossfit in May. Holy cow, it's tough, but I love it! Just got my WOD book, and am looking forward to watching my strength and endurance improve!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    been doing CrossFit for 2.5 years now. Haven't found anything I like any better ever. It has helped me grow so much in strength it's ridiculous
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I started last November and will probably not workout any other way again. I made a promsie to myself to go 3 days on 1 off at the minimum and have somewhat kept up w/ it. Except now its 5-6 days on 1 off.

I like to call it a healthy cult!!

Friending you now! =)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Not to be a downer, but make sure you're listening to your body. Take care of your hands especially and proper rest and stretching is very important. Its easy to get really caught up in all of it and not listen to your body. Working out to the point of injury doesn't make you a bad *kitten*.

With that being said, I love CF and it has been an amazing cross training tool for races. And the community of people is incredible. I've never known so many strong and motivated women, both in and out of the gym, before in my life.

Happy CrossFitting!
  • lostalykat
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I have only been able to go 2 times a week the last 2 weeks because of my busy schedule, I am planning to do it 3-4 this week. Giving myself a bit of a break since I just started and it has been challenging to fit it into my week. I am taking today as another rest day (had a little too much fun over the weekend for my Fiance's bday) but will go back hopefully, Tues, weds, thurs then friday off then saturday. I can't wait to go back.
  • svincent1217
    svincent1217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have found a brand new gym. I am currently getting 1-1 lessons with a trainer to learn the moves properly. Once these lessons are complete I will get a key to the gym and unlimted access for my membership. I'm only on "day 2" of the program out of the 10 Days. I look forward to being able to come in whenever my schedule allows, knocking out the WOD and heading home.

Is there a notebook out there specifically geared towards CrossFit work outs?
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    no notebook that I am aware of that is mass produced. My trainers have gotten a notebook made for us to log everything in if we want. But if you are looking for a list of workouts, www.crossfit.com is the main site and all of the workouts they have ever posted are archived there. There's too much variation with CrossFit to have a set notebook style I believe. I just bought on of those old school spirals and write the workout as my coaches have it written and record my time. I'm sure if someone put a little effort into it, they could find a way to organize it by type of workout, but I just keep everything in order by date.
  • nutmeg0686
    nutmeg0686 Posts: 28 Member
    Options

www.wodbook.com
    There's a variety to choose from and gym affiliates can create their own based on what their members need or focus on. The one I use has a space to include the date and day of week, amount of sleep, quality of nutrition, stress, and life load. After that, there's a nice sized space to record my warm up, skill/strength session, and WOD. There's a specified space to record the time/score of the WOD and whether or not it was a PR.

Based on what journal you purchase, there may be various supplemental illustrations/charts. Mine has an illustration of the basic lifts, Rx weights for certain moves and how to scale up or down, A heroes/girls workout chart to record PRs (and also tells you what each WOD consists of), a benchmark chart to record individual movement PRs, Wendler worksheets and Rippetoe strength standards. Some even include nutritional info like Zone guidelines and recommended foods.

I find it extremely helpful and log each workout in my journals. It keeps me consistent in the type of information that I record. I'm currently on my second notebook.
  • svincent1217
    svincent1217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nutmeg - I found one I think is just what I was looking for. I just know I'll forget and these hopefully will be just what I need to keep track of all the different aspects.
  • kimfield99
    kimfield99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    There is also an app for your iPhone - I like it because ti does have the WODs preprogrammed but it gives you space to note and scaling you did for the workout. It's called myWOD if you want to check it out.
  • jcaus
    jcaus Posts: 2
    Options
    I just started last week and i love it!
  • sedberry
    sedberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just finished the onramp program last week, and this week starts the first "real" classes I'm allowed to attend. I'm a bit nervous but hopefully the end result will make it all worthwhile!
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just finished the onramp program last week, and this week starts the first "real" classes I'm allowed to attend. I'm a bit nervous but hopefully the end result will make it all worthwhile!
    I'm a little nervous every morning :) But it's always worth it!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options

www.wodbook.com
    There's a variety to choose from and gym affiliates can create their own based on what their members need or focus on. The one I use has a space to include the date and day of week, amount of sleep, quality of nutrition, stress, and life load. After that, there's a nice sized space to record my warm up, skill/strength session, and WOD. There's a specified space to record the time/score of the WOD and whether or not it was a PR.

Based on what journal you purchase, there may be various supplemental illustrations/charts. Mine has an illustration of the basic lifts, Rx weights for certain moves and how to scale up or down, A heroes/girls workout chart to record PRs (and also tells you what each WOD consists of), a benchmark chart to record individual movement PRs, Wendler worksheets and Rippetoe strength standards. Some even include nutritional info like Zone guidelines and recommended foods.

I find it extremely helpful and log each workout in my journals. It keeps me consistent in the type of information that I record. I'm currently on my second notebook.

I use beyondthewhiteboard.com to log everything. It's great because you can quickly go back and look up something easier than flipping through pages. It also has a way to track sleep, diet, water, weigh ins, etc., etc. And graphs galore, I love graphs. Many of the WODS are pre-programmed in, or you can create your own from scratch. Some boxes have a group and they post in. All the barbell, girls, and endurance benchmarks are in one place to easily see your progress on those. It's a $3 month subscription but I think it's way worth it. I just right my loads and time in my calendar while there and plug everything in the next day.

And welcome!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm a little nervous every morning :) But it's always worth it!

I still get nervous many days. I saw this once and like it "Does your workout scare you? It should." Pushes me outside my comfort zone which I need and love.
  • sedberry
    sedberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    just a follow-up. I'm addicted to CrossFit now. I love it but still get super anxious right before that clock starts ticking. I try to get to the box at least 4x/week, and if its a light WOD day, try to get in an endurance workout too.

So excited to see the results come December.