Struggling without cakes

Options
Does anyone else miss having cakes? I know we are not supposed to deprieve ourselves of anything cause it makes you want it more. But all my recipes seem to be high on sugar or fat and I wish I could find some nice recipes that I could have often.

Replies

• Rachel505
    Rachel505 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think you can have everything in moderation. Maybe just try to substitue some of the ingredients for healthier choices or have a smaller portion than you would normally have. I am constantly making cakes and cupcakes as my side business and it is hard to resist eating what is left. So, if I am really craving something I try to just have a small portion. Sometimes I will even just have maybe a cupcake with no icing. You could even try replacing the oil for unsweetened applesauce.
  • PrincessShay135
    Options
    Low carb cake recipe

1 cup coconut flour
    1/2 cup almond flour
    1 cup almond milk
    1 1/2 cups coconut milk
    12 eggs
    24 packets splenda
    3 tablespoons baking powder
    2-3 tsp almond extract (flavor)
    2-3 tsp lemon extract
    (I have altered this to be more cake like by adding vanilla extract instead)

I've made this into muffins and in a 9 x 13 cake pan.

It takes a long time to cook, even as muffins. The muffins about 35 or more minutes at 350. The cake pan more like 45 -60 minutes. I don't really time things, I just kind of check on them every ten or fifteen minutes. Cook it until the top is dry dry and a little bit brown, not much. But don't under cook it or the center will be spongy.

Strangely enough this taste better after a day in the fridge. Because of all of the eggs I put it in the fridge. It is kind of crumbly like corn bread in a way. It is really good with lots of butter, and I mean LOTS of butter! Yum yum!

For pancakes I would half the recipe and add extra milk-ness until the consistency of pancake batter.

Don't worry about coconut milk vs almond milk. Just use 2 1/2 cups of any combo of almond or coconut milk, or just one or the other. Don't worry about the almond flour if you don't have it.

I got this recipe from my sister and it is pretty good. I miss cake like crazy! Taking chromium picolinate (500 mcg with meals 3 times per day) and cinnamon (1,000 mg once per day with biggest meal) has helped a lot with carb cravings. I can even watch Cake Boss again without a major craving. Good luck!!!