Strength Training...is anybody doing it?

Options
tchndiva25
tchndiva25 Posts: 6 Member
One of the keys to effective long term weight loss is a balance of cardio, strength training, and nutrition. I'm finally finding some consistent with cardio and nutrition, but am not including strength training in my regimen. What's bad about that is I have weights at home and know exercises that can be done without them. By the end of the day I'm wiped out. Where can I fit it all in?

How are you all balancing your weight loss regimen?

Replies

• drumsrevolver
    Options
    I'm not as yet either. Still recovering from a hand operation and have little grip and cannot put weight on it. Irrespective, I'm currently at the really early stages of weight loss and focussing on developing good habits. This is my first time EVER that I've consistently calorie counted, not binged or starved and am regularly walking and exercising each day.
    I'm really happy with my achievements and for me at the moment trying to do everything is just too much and will make me feel like this weighloss journey is a chore rather than something I can incorporate into my life. Baby steps for me more so I think.
    I've still got about 50lb to lose and its something I want to start to do as I lose some more weight.

Is there a way for you to switch days between cardio and strength training? ie alternate days? Perhaps that way your muscles could rest and repair inbetween and you're not overwhelmed with trying to fit everything into each day? Or try the Fitness and Exercise forums - I'm sure this topic must have been discussed before. Be interested to hear others thoughts.
  • LovinLifeChik
    LovinLifeChik Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I recently went with challenge teammate Jeyed to a group, then personal, consultation with a local Trainer/Nutritionist (PhD) and this was one of the main things he reviewed. So my comments are based on his research and what he does with this clients.

This Dr. recommends 20-30 mins of strength training 3 times a week. If the only time you have to work out is 30 mins 3 times a week - he says you should be doing strength training over cardio. However, he does recommend doing a 3-5 minutes cardio warm-up before your strength training session. Then if you have time after the strength training session - THEN you would do 20-30 mins of cardio. He say NOTHING more than 30 mins of cardio - and less time as your BMI reduces.

I know this goes against alot that you have read - but I've now also been told by 2 additional trainers that he is right. The strength training helps to build lean muscle - which helps you to burn fat and calories longer (after you are done exercising). And for cardio, here is the physical breakdown of the burn (for a 30 min workout):
    First 10 sec - burns immediate energy
    10 sec to 10 mins - burns glucose/blood sugar
    10 to 30 mins - burns fat
    Mins over 30 - BURNS MUSCLE - NOT GOOD!!

Personally, I HATE cardio. But I do it to help burn cals and get my heart healthy. But I LOVE strength training. Important to remember that it's not just lifting weight or weight machines. Swimming, water aerobics - anything with resistance - also falls under this.

Hope this information helps. I know I have seen benefits from following his plan!

Sharon
  • Dot2Dots
    Dot2Dots Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Great information Sharon ! Thanks for sharing.

I started doing a Tricord Workout Dvd at home this week. You use those resistance bands & let me tell you something, you can really feel it !!
  • drumsrevolver
    Options
    Definitely food for thought! Interesting as I'd upped the cardio more and although i feel less knackered and a bit fitter it has done zero to speed up my weight loss.

Thanks ever so much for posting this Sharon - it makes a lot of sense to me. I think resistance bands and using my own body weight as resistance might work for me - I'll have a YouTube later see if there's any good routines that doesn't involve gripping or putting weight on my hands.
  • FortyBelow
    FortyBelow Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tchndiva25, thanks for starting this thread! Sharon and all, thank you for sharing such great information and personal experiences. I appreciate it all. I have a question and a comment.

Here's my question. I understand the time - burn ratios, but I imagine that this is if you have achieved a certain heart rate. What if you are doing cardio below the optimum heart rate? Could you stay in the "fat burn zone" longer? Or, is it really just a matter of the time you spend doing cardio, regardless of the intensity of the cardio?

To contribute to the discussion, I have not incorporated strength-training yet, but I plan to do so in July. I have a gym membership that is presently collecting dust. That's about to change here in a minute.

-Kristine
  • LovinLifeChik
    LovinLifeChik Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Tchndiva25, thanks for starting this thread! Sharon and all, thank you for sharing such great information and personal experiences. I appreciate it all. I have a question and a comment.

Here's my question. I understand the time - burn ratios, but I imagine that this is if you have achieved a certain heart rate. What if you are doing cardio below the optimum heart rate? Could you stay in the "fat burn zone" longer? Or, is it really just a matter of the time you spend doing cardio, regardless of the intensity of the cardio?

To contribute to the discussion, I have not incorporated strength-training yet, but I plan to do so in July. I have a gym membership that is presently collecting dust. That's about to change here in a minute.

-Kristine

Kristine - based on the information from my consultation, he advises that whether cardio or stength/resistance training - it must be PURPOSEFUL. He's not big on monitoring HR, but says that if you are just "going through the motions" you won't see results as quickly, or as great as if you are really putting in an effort. I'm not sure specifically how HR and time play into each other. Personally, I would rather push myself and get it done more quickly. I also know that interval cardio works well - a few mins at a slower rate then a few mins of increased intensity. I find that that is helping me!