Getting told to get off the road!

Options
OK, it is not a common occurrence for me, and I ride in traffic everyday.

But....

This morning on my ride to work, I was yelled at twice to get off the road and ride on the sidewalk or bike path, once by a bus driver and once by a taxi driver. This is horrible because they are "professional drivers and should know the rules of the road.

This is a huge pet peeve of mine, I ride a road bike and while not the fastest I am still going 30-40km/h. I do not ride in the middle of the lane, I stay far enough to the right any car or truck can pass me without changing lanes.I do not like using the shared use trails as I find I have to slow down too much to go through any intersection and I cannot push myself as I am constantly dodging walkers/runners with headphones and people walking pets. As well it is illegal here to ride on the side walk.

I just smile and wave but in truth I would like to take their mirror off with my U-Lock at the next light.

Thanks, just needed to vent.

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they know the rules, they just don't like them. Keep riding and smiling, that drives them nuts. Be safe!
  • Tcormie
    Tcormie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's aggravating for sure, I added a nice bright flashing led taillight to my wedge bag. It has cut down on the get off the road comments, I think nay no that when I can see a cyclist far enough away I can plan to give them room. Keep riding - Keep safe
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I know you're not in the states so this probably doesnt help too much... but it's funny anyway!

I have a friend who always open carries when she cycles (pistol sticking out off of her hip). She NEVER gets told where to ride.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I know you're not in the states so this probably doesnt help too much... but it's funny anyway!

I have a friend who always open carries when she cycles (pistol sticking out off of her hip). She NEVER gets told where to ride.

Haha, I am not sure whether to laugh or cry at this! ^^^ :noway: ^^^

In the UK, Taxi drivers and Bus drivers are some of the worst offenders when it comes to cycling ignorance. They think that just because they drive all day, they are the better road user and everyone should give them special dispensation, because they are doing a service for us! Well I don't use Taxis and I haven't used a Bus for a looooooong time so as far as I am concerned you (taxi/bus) drivers can all get to the back of the line! :grumble:

I find a smile, a polite wave, that really get's em! :laugh:

Ride Safe
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Why do you think so many cyclists are resorting to having small video cameras strapped to their heads or bike to record their journeys? They come in very useful should you have an 'altercation' whilst riding. You've only got to look at YouTube for footage of dangerous driving which have been recorded by cyclists...
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The perfect response to them is a 3 second blast with an AIrzound.
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Where can you open carry? Its a catch 22. Carry a gun, be prepared to use it. I am pro guns, btw, but was told by several officers, shoot to kill not maim. The never ending lawsuits for those that didn't shoot to kill is overwhelming.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Maybe a month ago I ran into 2 "professional drivers" who were clueless; a guy driving a dump truck and a woman driving a school bus. At a 4-way stop the woman got their first and then just sat there. I don't get right-of-way just because I'm on a bike. I know she did that because she probably encounters more "me-first" cyclists than ones like me who obey the law." The dump truck guy was just an a-hole. Pulled out in front of me when he had a stop and I didn't. I had to slam on my brakes. :grumble:
  • trinitrate
    trinitrate Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Where can you open carry? Its a catch 22. Carry a gun, be prepared to use it. I am pro guns, btw, but was told by several officers, shoot to kill not maim. The never ending lawsuits for those that didn't shoot to kill is overwhelming.

I'm in Arizona, You can open-carry or conceal carry almost anywhere anytime you want. You dont even need a permit. I have a CCW permit, but all thats really used for is if you want to conceal carry in a park or bar. In the bars you can only conceal with a permit and if you're not drinking.

There are other similar states, but AZ is by far one of the easiest states to carry in.

Despite what the press would have you believe, our crime rate is pretty low especially considering we're the 5th or 6th largest city in the U.S.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    At a 4-way stop the woman got their first and then just sat there.

WTF...and I have a BA in English! :drinker: :laugh:
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    Options
    Just joined this group. I am a professional driver of a large vehicle and also a cyclist. I have actually been out driving my route and I come upon 2 cyclists going up a hill at 15 mph, a hill I can only get 9mph out of, btw. One of them motions for me to pass them.. Up hill. Double yellow line. I DON'T THINK SO! I don't mind going 15mph in a 15 ton vehicle. I can feel the power! the torque! That diesel rumble. I should put a share the road sticker on the back of my commercial vehicle just so they know where I stand, but I'm pretty sure that would be frowned upon!