dress/pant size

Options
mrs_schultz2012
mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
Hi Ladies!

I just joined this group. And I am wondering, what is a good goal pant/dress size?! I have no idea! I am currently a size 12, and people I talk to make it sound like that's really big....I know I'm a little bigger around the middle than I want to be, but never really saw myself as 'overweight'. :ohwell:

I'm a little over 5'11" and currently weight 171. (started at 181, goal would be around 160ish I hope)

I'm also getting married in September, so that isn't helping the stress level.

Any advice or thoughts would be great. Thanks everyone!! :happy:

Replies

• pkiesch
    pkiesch Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I was 178 & a size 12. After tummy tuck I'm now a 10 & ~167. Although we're tall, every girl is built differently! I've met tall girls that look thinner than me & wear a 14/16 so depends on where you're comfortable really
  • mrs_schultz2012
    Options
    thanks! i thought i was comfortable with a 12....until a girl i work with who is the same height, made a comment about how she was her heaviest when she graduated and 'omg i was a size 12!'...some girls, i tell ya! :smile:
  • KatTheAmazon
    KatTheAmazon Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and at my smallest (155) I was a size 10. I was a size 12 around 170 or so and size 14 around 185/90.

I look damn good in a size 10/12. I have an hour glass figure and I have hips and large rear. It really depends on how you are shaped.
  • Jenn152
    Jenn152 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This is such a funny topic because everyone carries their weight differently. For example, i am 5'11 and about 200ish right now, and I am in tight 12s loose 14s. I started at 245ish and was in an 18.

So, we are the same height, and I am 30 pounds heavier than you at the same pant size... it is all relative :O)
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am 6' and about 174 right now. I am in a loose 14 but the 12s are just too tight to be comfortable. My friends are always shocked when I tell them that I wear a 14 or around a 13 or 15 in juniors.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 153 and usually a 6, but I've been known to need some 4's. My dress pants are 8's, but some are roomy.

I started out a 190 and in a very tight 14.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11, 153 and usually a 6, but I've been known to need some 4's. My dress pants are 8's, but some are roomy.

It really is so variable! I"m 5'11" and am about 185 pounds right now. I'm not quite into a size 12 now, (14's are getting loose) but because of how I carry my weight, even when I weighed 150, I was STILL a size 12, sometimes a 10 but not usually.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    Options
    thanks ladies, i really appreciate it! i know there are tons of variables, but just needed to know that i'm not weird! :happy: I hope you all have a fantastic weekend!
  • Lindseydeblieux
    Options
    I'm 5'11" and at 213, I'm a steady 16 (or 14W) right now. My goal is between 180-190 and preferably a 12 or 14.

Remember that clothes are cut and sized differently by different designers and more important than the number on the label is wearing clothes that fit and flatter!
  • kristen6022
    Options
    :tongue:

It really is so variable! I"m 5'11" and am about 185 pounds right now. I'm not quite into a size 12 now, (14's are getting loose) but because of how I carry my weight, even when I weighed 150, I was STILL a size 12, sometimes a 10 but not usually.

Sadly, I think they are cutting clothes bigger these days (which doesn't make me feel good about my tight 12s in January ). About 6 years ago I was down to about 160 and was wearing an 8/10, no less than that. At 7 pounds lighter now I'm usually a 6. Each store cuts their clothes different, I can range between 3 sizes on any given day - but I think I'm a trimmer 153 now, where at 160 I wasn't working out...
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    :tongue:

Sadly, I think they are cutting clothes bigger these days (which doesn't make me feel good about my tight 12s in January ). About 6 years ago I was down to about 160 and was wearing an 8/10, no less than that. At 7 pounds lighter now I'm usually a 6. Each store cuts their clothes different, I can range between 3 sizes on any given day - but I think I'm a trimmer 153 now, where at 160 I wasn't working out...

Well, I guess we'll find out once I get back down to 150-160.... if I'm amazingly a size 8 or 10, then your theory holds! :bigsmile: If I'm STILL a size 12, then we'll know that the brands I usually wear haven't changed their sizing. (Also, I have clothes left over from then, so will be able to see whether I fit back into them)
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, 174 and a size 8. I just bought a few pants in a size 6, but they have some stretch. Dresses I'm a 10 - I've got big boobs!
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Before i got pregnant i was in a size 10 and weight 219lbs. I am 6'2".
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11''. At 195 my size 16 (UK) were getting too small. I'm now 179 and just getting into a 14 (although they would look better if I lost another few pounds.) My goal weight is 160ish and I'm assuming to be a 12/14. I've never been smaller than a 12.
  • cali798x
    cali798x Posts: 32
    Options
    I am 5'11" and weigh 173 in size 12. I was a size 12 (US) when I was 160 as well, I think it takes a good 15lbs for me to go down a dress/pant size. I think a size 10 for me was 155ish and lower. I am hour glass shape with a big booty. I agree with others it is such a huge difference on where people carry weight. I love this topic though because I was curious too, I learned a lot. I don't think a size 12 is big either, I feel more comfortable in a size 10 but I wasn't upset when I saw myself in size 12. I thought I looked fine, it was only when the size 12 started to fit tight that I thought I should lose weight. That is also when I thought I was looking a bit on the heavy side.

Thanks Ladies for sharing!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm reading through the replies on this and am realizing how differently we are all built. I have thick thighs and non existant hips/butt so I fit mostly size 12s or 14s anywhere. I'm 5'9 and about 215 with a thick frame. I want to get down to about 175 weight wise, so I'm not sure what size that will be like. I'm hoping no smaller than a 6, ideally an 8.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is so interesting to me! We can be the same height but sizes are SO different.

I am 5'11", I weigh 170lbs, and I wear a size 6.
    At my heaviest of 210lbs, I wore a size 12.
    At my absolute thinnest of 145lbs, I still wore a 6 and could squeeze into some 4's.
  • kristen6022
    Options
    I'm 5 10.5, 150 and in a size 6 or 8. I don't think even if I got down to 140 that I'd be in anything smaller because my hips are wide.
  • kelliwiatrek
    Options
    I am 6' even. I weighed myself this morning and I am 161 lbs. and currently wear a size 10. At my biggest which was 235 lbs. I wore a size 18 which were tight.
    It is crazy how everyone is so different.
    People are shocked when I tell them my pant size because they expect me to be smaller. Of course I lost my boobs during my weight loss and I lost some of my butt it is not as big as it was but its still there.
  • htalexander
    Options
    It really goes to show that size depends more on shape, and other factors than weight.. Right now I am 175 and size 10 or 12 depending of the brand.. I've lost 19lbs and only went down a size..and 194lbs I was a size 14... but I look at feel better and less flabby so I'm ok with it...