How do you log DDR on this site?

Options
I use Fitocracy for my personal fitness tracking and it has a "video-game dancing" exercise that I use. My work Wellness Team is recommending using myfitnesspal for eating and exercise tracking and I can't find a DDR equivalent on this site's database. What does everyone use for DDR? Also, I play on Expert so adjustability on part of the exercise logging would be helpful in so that both beginners and experts can use. Thanks!

Replies

• EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    It's hard to rank ddr on this site (or even using the games own tracker). There are some complicated math equations that you can find online that tells you how many calories you burn per step, then you can multiply that by the number of steps in a song, but I think you're better off just estimating it. I play ddr vigorously (you can see my vids on the youtube channel "derran15") but I don't think it accounts for as much as the game would have you believe. Just make your best estimate and if it sounds incredibly high, it probably is. If you need any other clarification, let me know.
  • EnderNC
    Options
    To help put it in perspective, you may also want to use this chart that I just came across

http://aggiegrlworkout.wordpress.com/2010/07/31/met-scale/

Base it on how difficult it is for you to continue. Also, think about this. I've heard that the average person burns about 600 calories per hour walking upstairs. Walking upstairs for a straight hour is very taxing on the body. DDR may come close, but if it says something like 3,000 calories burned, I would suspect it.
  • annavanity
    Options
    Honestly, I just use the calorie counter on the game. At the same time, everyone has a different playing style, which can make a huge difference. Usually I play 8-9 foot songs where I tend to jump from button to button and I don't hold the bar, so after five or six songs I'm sweaty and quite tired. To log it in MFP I just made an exercise and log the calories however the game says. Sometimes, there are huge noticeable errors in the game, such as when I play Break Down on standard and it says 34 calories, which is close to what it says I burn for something like Healing Vision Angelic Mix on heavy. After a while, you can tell if something is off just by comparing to similar songs and adjust the amount accordingly.
  • EnderNC
    Options
    Good point Anna. Counting calories with the game can be very confusing because who can tell if it's accurate. I think the best standard of measure to use with ddr is to count steps. Counting steps is a good measure of how much you moved and, while it doesn't count calories, it can be a measure with which you can progress over time. I haven't done it in a couple months, but I probably will tomorrow night. The last time I kept track, I logged 25,000 steps. I'm going to try for 30k next time.
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My method for doing it was to use my heart rate monitor. I put in DDR as a custom exercise and used that number for the calories.
  • Tachyonic
    Tachyonic Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was researching how to estimate calorie burn for DDR, and came across a fairly good estimate: about 5-6 calories per Standard song, and 7-8 calories per Heavy song. I found that this was a fair way to gauge my caloric burn, although it's not incredibly accurate.

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302934-calories-burned-playing-dance-dance-revolution/
  • Mcfatcat
    Options
    I know this thread is old, but I use the "wiifit high intensity" You generally burn a bit more calories than what it gives you.. I'd say add an extra 10 for every 10min so far. But that's if you're doing a combination of difficult/expert.

I use the DDR for the wii so it will add for me, which is great.

You /can/ burn about 250-300 calories every half hour.

Beginner and basic of course burn much less. (I wouldn't know the exact because I don't play on those settings.)

For people who use double pads: I have no idea, my mom threw out my pads but I was lucky because my bf bought me one new one. I'll update this as soon as I know.

For people using the wii: If you use the remote/nunchuck it will of course /also/ be more.