Pregnant mamas who are also students right now!!

Options
katkada
katkada Posts: 35 Member
Hi everyone,

I am currently taking 18 units right now at Kaplan University an online school where I am working towards my BA in Psychology with an emphasis in substance abuse. I am also 29 weeks pregnant with my first baby! (a little girl ;)
Anyways I didn't know if there was anyone else here pregnant and also going to school so I wanted to start a topic about it.
I know for me things are crazy right now I have two papers due by the end of the week but also am getting prepared for my baby to come!!
Anyways I hope if your pregnant and a student you can use this post to vent perhaps on how you deal with achieving the goals of your education as well as getting ready for your baby!!
<3 kat

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    ME!!! I am trying to finish my Master's degree in psychology from Northcentral University, which is also online. I was doing fairly well, but then got pretty far behind in the first trimester. I am slowly catching up though! If I don't get ahead my date to be finished is 11/5 and my EDD is 11/14!!! So I really need to get motivated. I know how you feel! Right now I'm not doing too much baby stuff, but I know when it gets closer I'm going to be more stressed dealing with school, work, and baby prep! But I know it will all be worth it. I'm just hoping I can stay motivated and finish sometime in October! Good luck :) Oh yeah and I'm on 1 or 3 of my last classes! So close, just so sick of papers :)
  • OrienMoon
    OrienMoon Posts: 8
    Options
    School for me is out for the summer but I will be in the middle of my second year when this little one will be coming into the world! I have decided to move my studies from in class to online in the hopes of not falling too far behind with my work when my baby is born. Luckily I am only taking a two year Business Administration program and hopefully I will still graduate next June with everyone else!
    It's certainly not an easy journey, being a student! Then tossing a baby in there makes everything even more hectic, but we can be there to support each other and we will all make it through!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Me. Finishing up a Ph.D. right now. Thankfully my committee is very family-friendly and are willing to be flexible with me throughout this process.
  • katkada
    Options
    Wow I am impressed with everyone getting their Masters and PhD's thats so awesome!! :flowerforyou:
  • chickybuns
    Options
    Me. Finishing up a Ph.D. right now. Thankfully my committee is very family-friendly and are willing to be flexible with me throughout this process.

That is impressive. How much longer do you have left?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

That is impressive. How much longer do you have left?

I've got about 2.5 years left. My boss is thrilled about the baby though. He's a family man, so I'm very lucky that he's so supportive and flexible. I'm doing my degree in Marine Biology and Fisheries, mostly fisheries management and modeling.

I'm past my qualifying exams so all I have left is the dissertation.
  • chickybuns
    Options
    That's good that you are done with exams, so your schedule will be more flexible. My sister got her undergrad in marine biology and her PhD in microbiology,a nd works for the FDA in Alabama...same kind of work I'm guessing?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    That's good that you are done with exams, so your schedule will be more flexible. My sister got her undergrad in marine biology and her PhD in microbiology,a nd works for the FDA in Alabama...same kind of work I'm guessing?

Similar degree process for sure :smile:

I'm glad I'm done with my quals. I can't imagine being pregnant and trying to get through exams. Oi.
  • chickybuns
    Options

Similar degree process for sure :smile:

I'm glad I'm done with my quals. I can't imagine being pregnant and trying to get through exams. Oi.

I bet! I find papers a little more difficult now without red bull! Just hoping I can stay motivated to finish in time! Now I shall stop procrastinating and get to my paper :) Good luck!
  • chickybuns
    Options
    So the good news is I only have 2 classes left until I finish my MA! But I'm already stressing because I got the syllabus for my last course, and it's not too bad except for the last assignment, which is a 25-35 page paper with 50-60 references!! The longest I have written so far (unless I forgot something in undergrad) is 10-12 pages! But in a way it kind of motivates me, because by that point I'm going to be big and probably have less energy. I know it will be worth it when it's over, I'm just so ready for that :)
  • katkada
    Options
    Its wek 34 for me. Everything has been going so smoothly for me with school until this week. I FEEL LIKE CRAP this week. Just icky and very tired. I have two papers due this week!!!!!!!!!! Feeling stressed and hoping that this will pass!