Hey, Hey, Hey: Tell Me About Yourself

Options
Nielasan
Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
So what are ya'll into?
I'm into crazy environmentalism like saving appalachia, composting, planting veggies, stopping natural gas drilling, banning high fructose corn syrup, gender equality, gay rights, outdoor exercising, not using plastic bags (even though clerks look at me like I'm crazed), indie publishing, music, taking back public space, camping. Really, i just want to eat a lot less meat, more real food and chain myself to the mountains. I love library books and chilling in the backyard, making movies, playing guitar and drums and bass, design and style. Yeah, I'm a sucka for style. What are your causes or interests?

Replies

• cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    BASICALLY THE SAME STUFF EXACTLY/. I even use reusable bags for produce and bulk stuff, haha.

I am a crazy record collector. I have boxes and boxes and boxes. Organizing them is my therapy. Love live music, hiking, canoeing. I went to a super hippie university and studied English Lit then college for Graphic Design and now Fashion. I worked as a Graphic Designer for awhile (best job ever was at an art gallery) but I'm really interested in working in eco-conscious fashion. I dance like Elaine Benes. I love Star Wars, films, public transit. I like gardening but I'm terrible at it. I've managed to keep my window box herb garden alive for a month so far so I'm quite proud of that. I love playing Skyrim. I worked at a health food store for a couple of years and am now really into the holistic/naturopathic approach to stuff. My favourite board games are Arkham Horror and Talisman.
  • jamonthelam
    Options
    i'm not a ~super environmentalist~ but i try! i take public transit and walk when i can, i guess. i'm mostly off of red meat and considering being mostly off of poultry as well.

the things i really care about: trans rights, gay rights, womens rights, public health (banning hfcs and trans fats in restaurants, etc), body politics, a lot of other politics i guess o:

on the flip side i'm a huge skeptic at heart and i'm always a little wary of "natural" medicine. i mean, i'll use it if i do my research and see that its uses are scientifically supported but usually i'm just skeptical. i work in a pharmacy and it's amazing to see how much money people waste on stuff that's been scientifically proven to be no better than a placebo.
  • Nielasan
    Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    you guys are cool hahah. keep on rocking in the free world.
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options

on the flip side i'm a huge skeptic at heart and i'm always a little wary of "natural" medicine. i mean, i'll use it if i do my research and see that its uses are scientifically supported but usually i'm just skeptical. i work in a pharmacy and it's amazing to see how much money people waste on stuff that's been scientifically proven to be no better than a placebo.

oh my god, do you get a lot of people in asking about Dr. Oz? He is the bane of my existence. At the place I worked (it was run by a doctor so we didn't carry a lot of the stupid stuff like weight loss stuff, mainly just stuff for her patients and actual food) but every time he'd do a show we'd get dozen of people in looking for whatever he talked about and they wouldn't even be able to explain why they wanted it.
  • jamonthelam
    Options
    YES we do. one of the pharmacists joked last week he should start watching it so he knows what patients are talking about.

i wish we sold a lot less weight loss stuff etc but it's not my decision or even the pharmacists'. stupid walmart.
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options
    Haha we always joked that we should get Dr. Oz to send us press releases so we can research this stuff before hand. Like Raspberry Ketone? African Mango? What in the what.
  • sambwilkes
    sambwilkes Posts: 22
    Options
    OHMIGOSH you guys are all so cool. I am into very similar things: gardening (farming, someday?), eating local as much as possible, a lot of cooking/baking (I have a food blog re: my adventures trying to eat healthy AND yummy), local food policy, etc. I am totally opposed to the use of HFCS or trans fat in anything for any reason, and Dr. Oz fills me with GRRRR.

ALSO, I am a ginormous geek. I am obsessed with: Dr. Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, Firefly, Geek&Sundry, comic books, etc. I love anything with aliens/zombies/supernatural/time-travel. And Steampunk! I heart it all so much. I love tabletop gaming (and some video gaming but not much because ai haz no moneez for consoles!), going to cons when I can, and reading a lot of books.

I'm a social worker by day...I work with elder folks in very rural communities. It's a great job, but stressful sometimes when I see genuinely in-need people fall through some of the gaping holes in the system.

Let's see, what else? My favorite color is purple, we just adopted a full-grown Saint Bernard 2 wks ago, and I'm a student of the Soto Zen tradition. I love to be outdoors, and I like living very rurally....I like peace and quiet. :)
  • jamonthelam
    Options
    Hey there!

Another tabletop gamer??? c: I've just started recently! I've played D&D I think... three times now? It's so fun omg. I don't know how people knock that kinda thing, it's seriously fun and it's not even that nerdy, I mean, it's not like you need to know a lot going in (as long as you have a kind and patient DM!).
  • sambwilkes
    Options
    Hey there!

Another tabletop gamer??? c: I've just started recently! I've played D&D I think... three times now? It's so fun omg. I don't know how people knock that kinda thing, it's seriously fun and it's not even that nerdy, I mean, it's not like you need to know a lot going in (as long as you have a kind and patient DM!).

w00t! :D I've actually not played D&D yet (I know...le GASP!). I'm super new at tabletop games, but I heart them so and I have a laundry list of like 10 that I want to try. Do you watch Tabletop on Geek&Sundry? Oh my gosh I love that show. My problem is I live in a super rural area (seriously, I see more squirrels than people on a daily basis, and I don't see very many squirrels), plus I am on the other side of college, so I don't really have a ready-made group of people to get together with. And in New England, people 'round here don't really appreciate spontaneous invitations to do anything, let alone do something like gaming. Which boggles the mind, because I think if more people played Settlers of Catan or D&D or Munchkin etc etc etc, we'd be a lot closer to world peace. :)
  • cheesy_blasters
    Options
    Yes! I'm trying to start a D&D campaign with my brother! I LOVE it.

Have you guys ever seen this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NDQ7u3yImas
  • sambwilkes
    Options
    Yes! I'm trying to start a D&D campaign with my brother! I LOVE it.

Have you guys ever seen this video?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NDQ7u3yImas

LOL! Never saw that before....hilarious! :D