Favorite Healthy Breakfast...Go!

Options
Nielasan
Nielasan Posts: 38 Member
Whats your favorite healthy way to start the day?

Replies

• sambwilkes
    sambwilkes Posts: 22
    Options
    Savory: 1 egg scrambled with some black beans, bell pepper, mushrooms, etc. (whatever veg is on hand), wrapped up in a homemade wheat tortilla., usually with either a mug of green tea or a glass of milk on the side.

Sweet: homemade meusli (granola, raw rolled oats, flakes, puffed grains, dried unswt coconut, dried fruit, nuts) mixed with fresh fruit and yogurt or milk of choice. Also, every Saturday I make whole wheat flax pancakes for one as my special weekend ritual, with any number of yummy fillings or toppings.

Breakfast for days when you need to kick some serious butt: SMOOTHIE TIME. My brother is a Navitas Naturals rockstar sales rep out in CA and he has me totally into making smoothies. My current favorite: 1 cup frozen mixed berries (straw/rasp/blue/black), 3/4 cup plain kefir, 1/2 cup unswt natural apple juice, 1 tbs unswt cocoa powder, 1 tbs flaxmeal, 1 tbs hemp protein powder. Super yummy. I drink that (the amounts there make enough for one person) around 7am and it gets me through till lunch. It's purple, so I call it the Purple Power Smoothie. It may or may not also have a theme song that I hum while making it, and I may or may not have used the Marvel Comic online superhero designer to design a superhero based on it. Yup. :)
  • phodujour
    phodujour Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for days when you need to kick some serious butt: SMOOTHIE TIME. My brother is a Navitas Naturals rockstar sales rep out in CA and he has me totally into making smoothies. My current favorite: 1 cup frozen mixed berries (straw/rasp/blue/black), 3/4 cup plain kefir, 1/2 cup unswt natural apple juice, 1 tbs unswt cocoa powder, 1 tbs flaxmeal, 1 tbs hemp protein powder. Super yummy. I drink that (the amounts there make enough for one person) around 7am and it gets me through till lunch. It's purple, so I call it the Purple Power Smoothie. It may or may not also have a theme song that I hum while making it, and I may or may not have used the Marvel Comic online superhero designer to design a superhero based on it. Yup. :)

This just blew my mind. I cannot wait to try it. !!!
  • sambwilkes
    sambwilkes Posts: 22
    Options

This just blew my mind. I cannot wait to try it. !!!

I hope you do! If you find the hemp powder a little to, uh, hempy, try adding a couple teaspoons of coconut oil....coconut oil and cocoa powder are like magic hemp busters....they totally knock out that hempy taste. I struggled with hemp smoothies for many weeks until I finally (sheepishly) confessed to my brother that I couldn't get my head around that hemp flavor (it kindof numbs your tongue, I mean seriously, what is up with that?!)...he suggested cocoa powder and coconut oil, and I haven't looked back since. Now I can get my hemp protein (I'm down to just using cocoa powder, but sometimes I add the coconut oil for funsies) and still enjoy my smoothies. :)
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I make tofu scramble with kale/spinach/mushrooms and Daiya cheese. Then I'll have some berries and make a frozen banana/coconut milk/raw cacao nib breakfast dessert

(My mornings are usually free so I can go all out).

During school or when I have to work? Smoothies all the way. Tons of fruit and veggies/greens and protein powder.