Stages of Hidradenitis

Options
Superstar_81
Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
Hey everyone!

I was wondering if someone can explain what the different stages of this is, no doctor has ever mentioned to me what stage I might be at....just curious- Thanks a million xx

Replies

• bayoubay21
    Options
    Mine did not either. But I heard her say multiple tracts when she was draining a lump in my groin area. So I'm guessing I'm a stage II after reading up on the web. And I get it everywhere but my pits.
  • katatak1
    katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Stage one is basically isolated incidents of abscesses. None of them are connected. They may be recurrent, but they haven't joined yet.

Stage two is when they are really recurrent and connected by sinus tracts.

Stage three is when they are fully connected so it covers a diffuse area. At this point, abscesses can reach large sizes (think golf or baseball) and often limits functionality and movement and can result in fistulas.

I've seen differences in how people describe their stages. I think the way that makes the most sense is to classify an area, not the whole body. Take me, for instance. Armpits are at a clear stage 2. Breasts are barely stage 1 (only one abscess). Inner thighs and groin are stage 1 moving into stage 2.

On an unrelated note: I've been really, really interested in possibly buying a microscope. I know that this might sound a little silly, almost like looking at a tissue after blowing your nose, but I really want to see what the discharge looks like under magnification. As I'm sure you've all noticed, it's never the same. I'm wondering if the bacteria contained within differs. And if so, is one more likely in a certain region? Prognosis for each kind, etc. What can I say, I'm a researcher. As frustrating as the disease is, it's also fascinating. Anyone else feel the same way?
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'm mostly stage one (groin especially, recurrent but not huge) but unsure about arm pits, I do get them recurrently but once had to go to hospital (about 12 years ago) and when the dr was on the phone to surgery, he said "it's the size of an egg under the skin!" I was horrified lol!

Ooh side note- how much do underarm ones hurt??? Specially in the crease of your arm pit?? Eek...am away to apply my Tend Skin haha x
  • katatak1
    Options
    For me, the armpit ones are actually the least painful. Walking sucks in the inner thigh locations (I actually had to take my first every day off from work due to an HS flare. I've had colds and such in the past, but this is the first time my HS has prevented me from working). Bras irritate them on the breasts. The armpit ones are really only painful for me if I move my arms a lot, and especially if I get really sweaty because then they'll grow in size. Otherwise, I prefer the pit ones. Wish they'd just stay there instead of moving below the belt and making me look like an STD riddled hooker.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    You know, this is not a funny subject - and I've lived with it for 30 years now - but Kat, "an STD riddled hooker" I laughed! I feel the same way. When I first started I was 18 and they came in "stage 1" on my inner thighs. They stayed on my inner thighs and it was a long time before (yes, I can't remember exactly how long) they turned to stage 2 on my thighs or moved to my arms. (btw -->the ones on my arms are above and below the pit, is that how it is for everyone else? Not actually in the crease of my arm (pit).

In any case, back to the story - because they were stage 1 I was calling them ingrown hairs because that is how they reacted. Inflamed areas around a hair follicle (little did I know). My boyfriend at the time was not bothered by them. We broke up when I was 26. I don't know if I had them under my arm by this time... darn it! In any case, 26-29 I was single and dating and it was okay, still in mostly stage 1 and could "hide" them (sort of)... but then at 27 they started lightly in my cleavage (fun!) - and then at late 28 they started under my breasts... how much fun is that?

I got married at 29 and he was okay with it... separated at 32, next boyfriend was horrified that I thought he would be horrified at it. Odd - I am horrified at it, why wouldn't he be? Then it kind of settled and I didn't have any bad break outs for almost a year (37 by this time) and I thought it was over... NOT! That's when I finally found out what it was (yes, 20 years!). And that's when it started in my groin! OH MY GOODNESS!

Now, at 48 I am hitting a new breakout session (where I was just thinking it was again, in remission) - especially under my breasts and on my thighs...

YES, who wants to be with someone who looks like (even just the scars) they are in deep with an STD? I hate this!
  • annabelle1113
    annabelle1113 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    . (btw -->the ones on my arms are above and below the pit, is that how it is for everyone else? Not actually in the crease of my arm (pit).

Mine actually are in the crease of my armpit. I have a few on each side now.
  • katatak1
    Options
    Hmm, I always called the whole thing the pit. But yeah, mine are all over the pit.