Healthy Gamer Tips

Options
Got an idea that can help other gamers get that extra cardio in or increase their blood circulation while they are playing a video game? Share it here and let's start some movement!

Replies

• ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    Best tip I have, is that on EVERY load screen on an inactive game, get up and jog in place until the game loads in! While your cardio inst extended, that little bit of movement adds up for gamers!
  • mrsleftybrown
    Options
    I have found that when there is dialogue going on through a scene that I can listen to and not need to be actively watching, I will do jumping jacks or even have some weights near by and do some bicep curls. Right now, having my foot in a cast I am busy with strength exercises for my upper body and watching what I eat only. No cardio for me. Even with that I am still able to lose weight. If you want more suggestions feel free to send me a message.
  • jen67211
    jen67211 Posts: 11
    Options
    Exercise between cut scenes is a great idea! Normally that's my cola break ;-) I'm looking forward to trying this out thank you for the advice!
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options
    Great tip, don't focus on cardio and use for quick weights! I think I like that even better as the load and cut scenes are so short! Post more <3
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    I like to add ankle weights when I play Just Dance. About 2 or 3 pound weights are ideal for me.
  • mrsleftybrown
    Options
    You can also use the load screens for a quick round of sit ups or push ups. Another thing that I found helpful, when I am playing Dance Central, is during the "free dance" section is to use that time for squats or jumping jacks or lunges. That way I am getting in some toning along with my cardio. I do the same thing with the Just Dance series when the next song is loading rather than just standing there waiting for it to start up. Got to do something.
  • indiraa_dw
    Options
    I totally do pushups/weights exercises between pulls when doing raids in WoW. My raid team raids twice a week for about 3 hours per so I'm able to get a fair amount in!
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I try to keep a resistance band and weights near me at all times, I also use a yoga ball as my foot rest helps keep my legs moving around then I use it at breaks. I always wanted to make a weighted controller for my xbox thought that might help ;-)
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options
    I try to keep a resistance band and weights near me at all times, I also use a yoga ball as my foot rest helps keep my legs moving around then I use it at breaks. I always wanted to make a weighted controller for my xbox thought that might help ;-)

You need to patent that idea baby, gogogogo! I had the idea to make a heart rate monitor for fitness games, then they made one. Don't be like MEEE <3
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    Options

You need to patent that idea baby, gogogogo! I had the idea to make a heart rate monitor for fitness games, then they made one. Don't be like MEEE <3

Well then maybe I should :) I thought it was a little silly, but hmmm. Weighted Wii controllers would probably be the best. I hardly move my controller when I play the 360. How the hell do you patent that haha
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    I like to run up the wall and do a backflips after every kill, jk.

I used to keep tools around to use for my arms and forearms during loading screens, cutscenes, or post game statistics while waiting for another game to start up. I'm going to start doing this again and using the yoga mat I just got this week, thanks for reminding guys lol.

Also, lay off the Mountain Dew and Doritos lol. If you're into energy drinks and gaming, try a Monster Rehab. They're 20cals, non carbonated, and have some type of tea added, depending on the flavor. Snacking on granola bars or 100cal Nabisco packages keeps the bad stuff away too.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    Options
    ooh lol, maybe I should try back flips instead of yelling" suck it, noob!" far more productive ;)

@Amy - I totally looked up the patent process. Its not a bad idea :)
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    haha I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that yells after owning someone.
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options
    ooh lol, maybe I should try back flips instead of yelling" suck it, noob!" far more productive ;)

@Amy - I totally looked up the patent process. Its not a bad idea :)

And you can still look at arm and leg weights that interact with the Kinect in some way too for the fitness games. Some way for the game to register you are using them and they can be come an additional controller? This has to be thought through, but all i can say is the motion controls when navigation in a game suck, and I use my controller quite a bit until the games actually start. <3
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options
    So I finally got my green screen, time to blow myself up inside the games and stream them, yay!
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    Here's something that helps me keep track of how long I've played Just Dance. The second I pull up the dance selection, I check into Just Dance 3 on Get Glue. Immediately after I'm done playing, I go to Facebook and view on my profile exactly how many minutes I played so I can enter it on MFP.

Oh, and I took Kelly's advice about exercise during cut scenes -- while I'm rotating through dances on JD3 I walk in place. Every little bit helps!