Bread?

Options
MrsAgi
MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
I really like eating bread:) Even more importantly, all the rest of my family eat it every day and none of them are counting cals..... I've managed to move them all onto wholemeal rather than white, but the stuff I buy now is still over 100 cals per slice before I put anything on it.

Can anyone recommend a lower cal bread that isn't terrible and that I might manage to get the kids & hubby to eat too?

Replies

• katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It depends whether you want low calorie or something with decent nutrients. A decent slice of bread is higher cal but is better for you. Just don't eat masses of it if you are worried about the calories, or where you would sometimes have bread, replace it with ryvita or some alternative
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    hmm, good point. I would like to keep it as healthy as poss really - I know 110 cals is't horrendous, but a couple of slices of toast with spread still racks up my daily amount....

I have surprised myself by eating quite a lot of ryvita recently:) I always used to think it tasted awful,but I've really got into it with healthier toppings.

I guess I'll have to be impressed with myself for getting the kids to eat healthier bread and keep it as an occasional treat for myself at least until I'm looking to maintain (hopefully sometime in 2013!)
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I buy Kingsmill 50/50 which is 103 cals per slice, but at least you feel like you've actually had a slice of bread, as opposed to weight watchers bread or something similar which feels like you've just ate fresh air!! If I'm trying to save on cals for my lunch I use the 50/50 pitta pockets which are only 93 cals
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Same here, I used to think ryvita was grim but there are so many different options out there now. I also like Nairn oatcakes (UK), but only half a pack as 6 is quite a lot, but again they are nutritious. I still love toast but generally now only after a night shift, I generally like yogurt with berries in the morning, followed by mashed banana with crunchy peanut butter, yummy. I used to dislike rye read too but tend to eat that if anything now.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the problem with bread the carbs? I don't eat a lot of it, but when I do it's usually granary.
  • MrsAgi
    Options
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the problem with bread the carbs? I don't eat a lot of it, but when I do it's usually granary.

not really, seeing as I'm counting calories not carbs... there is absolutely no reason for me to be lowering my cabs, which are usually a bit lower than mfp sets for me which is fine
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love bread too, but totally blame it for my weight problem. I had to reduce my intake considerably to loss weight. I do have bread though - always Granary or Wholemeal - things like rolls are good, decent size for about 200 cals. Smaller sized loaves - all the main brands do them and are around 90 cals a slice. English muffins - Sainsburys do a wholemeal version.

I find the problem with bread as well is what you put on it. So instead of butter/spread I use a light variety of mayo, which is lower in cals per 100gms, and goes further when spreading so you don't need so much.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I did a charity walk at the weekend and they gave out small loaves of Burgen Soy Linseed where the slices were only 93 cals each - would love to know if anyone has seen these in the shops?

There is the hovis small loaf that is really low - quite small slices though but I'd rather have 2 of those than 1 bigger one (which I know makes no sense at all haha it's just in my head!).
  • Cliffy94
    Cliffy94 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i often have a couple of slices of toast with jam on for my breakfast, but this is going to change! What do people reccomend as a good low calorie but filling breakfast?
  • sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69
    Options
    Why don't you try Warburton Wholemeal 400g loaf? It's only 55 cal per slice. It isn't that much smaller than other bead.

Buy the 800g loaf for your family as they are not counting cal and you keep your little loaf all for yourself?
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I eat Hovis Nimble bread which has 51 calories per slice but the slices are a bit smaller than usual bread.. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have morrisons thick sliced stoneground wholemeal which is 89 cals per slice.
  • una48
    una48 Posts: 43
    Options
    Kingsmill Danish Sliced White Bread at 54 calories a slice - its new and only available at Asda, or Warburtons Danish White sliced bread at 63 calories. Both of them are really nice, and half the calories of regular bread.
  • katozdad
    katozdad Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a special trip once a month to buy myself Crank's bread from Waitrose. This is bread cooked the traditional way and feels as heavy as a house brick, but one slice and you are full until your next meal (next best thing to porridge as far as I'm concerned). I can usually cut 2 slices which weigh approx. 100 grams total for a sandwich, which equates to about 200 calories, but like I said, this fills you up good and proper. Their website is here: http://www.cranks.co.uk/
  • AHoggins
    AHoggins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use kingsmill 50/50 crust away bread which is 47 calories, it is a lot smaller than a normal loaf of bread.
  • Lucille51
    Lucille51 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've just tucked in to a couple of slices of Hovis original wheatgerm which is 56 cals per slice, it's tasty but a small loaf. Like you, I love bread, but over the last couple of years have found it really bloats me out. Now, I only eat it maybe once a week, and have ryvitas instead.
  • mrskatiepowell
    Options
    I have limited my bread to just around breakfast time and have 1 slice of wholemeal bread with 1 poached egg. I find this fills me until late morning.

other breakfast favourites are porridge & blueberries, cottage cheese and ryvita or some healthy bacon with poached egg.
  • NiksHasToLoseToWin
    Options
    I did a charity walk at the weekend and they gave out small loaves of Burgen Soy Linseed where the slices were only 93 cals each - would love to know if anyone has seen these in the shops?

There is the hovis small loaf that is really low - quite small slices though but I'd rather have 2 of those than 1 bigger one (which I know makes no sense at all haha it's just in my head!).
  • NiksHasToLoseToWin
    Options
    Lilmisfoodie, Tesco sells Vogel and Burgen soya and linseed bread but you have greater luck when shopping online as in store is sells really quickly x
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to rivita if I want something like bread but is it just me or does it make you pretty gassy???...sorry, someone had to bring it up!?! Hahaha