I just got a positive pregnancy test...

Options
Now what do I do?

I mean, I *JUST* started losing weight. Don't get me wrong, a baby is a blessing, but I'm less than thrilled about starting out a pregnancy at 190 lbs.

My real goal for losing weight was to be healthy and fit during my next pregnancy. I feel...conflicted.

Replies

• cmaxmor
    cmaxmor Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I became pregnant after losing 17 pounds. I am now 17 weeks and trying hard not to be sad about the weight gain. Talk to your ob/gyn. You can come up with a plan for healthy weight gain.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Boy do I know how you feel!! i am really having a hard time with the weight gain that has been happening. The only advice I can give is to try to stay as active as you can and even though its going to be hard eat healthy at least 80% of the time. You will have cravings for things that are not considered healthy but i know first hand that sometimes you just have to give in to them! Worry about the weight after the baby
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You just have to do the best you can, eat healthy foods. Go ahead and talk to your doctor and see why he or she recommends as far as calories, and keep your exercise going!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I lost 42 lbs, and just found out last week that I'm expecting our first. Obviously, delighted that I'm pregnant, but scared about weight gain undoing all the work I did to get fitter.

My doctor said 2,000 calories filled with good whole foods is best and recommended a good prenatal vitamin to boot.

I'm hoping to manage my weight gain and keep it at a reasonable and healthy level.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Like the others, I can also sympathize. I hit the 20 pound lost mark the week before I found out I was pregnant. However, I came across this in a book I started reading and it made me feel a lot better. This is the breakdown of a typical 30-pound pregnancy weight gain:

7.5 pounds: your baby’s weight
    7 pounds: your extra stored nutrients
    4 pounds: your extra blood
    4 pounds: your extra body fluids
    2 pounds: breast enlargement
    2 pounds: enlargement of your uterus
    2 pounds: amniotic fluid surrounding your baby
    1.5 pounds: the placenta

I think looking at it as though your body has an extra 23 pounds of baby and fluid to get rid of and only 7 pounds of "stored nutrients" (not nearly as scary of a term of 'fat stores!!') it seems a lot less daunting. Plus, keeping up good exercise habits will keep extra weight in check and make it easier to pick up right where you left off. I'm also now fully aware of how difficult losing weight can be (as compared to sitting on my *kitten* gaining it!) and that definitely helps in making good food choices!

In the meantime, I've been loving every sip of juice I'm told to drink, every extra carb I'm told to eat to avoid morning sickness, and the full fat dressing that now needs to cover my salads. Don't get down on it too much!!
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Now what do I do?

I mean, I *JUST* started losing weight. Don't get me wrong, a baby is a blessing, but I'm less than thrilled about starting out a pregnancy at 190 lbs.

My real goal for losing weight was to be healthy and fit during my next pregnancy. I feel...conflicted.

I totally understand what you are going through! at 200 lbs, I lost 15 pounds and found out I was pregnant.. after a few weeks, I decided that I wasen't going to worry much about my weight gain, and just continue to eat very well, stuffing myself with complex carbs, fruit and veggies and lean meats and continue exercising. I did just that and I actually lost 2 pounds, even with 100-300 calories added in my first trimester - I think my body was on weight loss mode! Now I'm at 16 weeks, going on 17 and still haven't moved - I think I maybe gained 1-2 pounds this week, I DO NOT weigh myself every day, only once a week..

That being said, everyone is sooooo diffenrent - I had one friend that was super fit, before and during her pregnancy and she gained 55 pounds.. ouch... but once she gave birth, it only took about 3 weeks for her to loose 40 pounds because lots of it was water weight..

So, don't worry about it - your body is producing a MIRACLE!! just be healthy and concentrate on that little gummy bear growing inside you!

Best of luck!
  • MyrianeO
    MyrianeO Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Like the others, I can also sympathize. I hit the 20 pound lost mark the week before I found out I was pregnant. However, I came across this in a book I started reading and it made me feel a lot better. This is the breakdown of a typical 30-pound pregnancy weight gain:

7.5 pounds: your baby’s weight
    7 pounds: your extra stored nutrients
    4 pounds: your extra blood
    4 pounds: your extra body fluids
    2 pounds: breast enlargement
    2 pounds: enlargement of your uterus
    2 pounds: amniotic fluid surrounding your baby
    1.5 pounds: the placenta

I think looking at it as though your body has an extra 23 pounds of baby and fluid to get rid of and only 7 pounds of "stored nutrients" (not nearly as scary of a term of 'fat stores!!') it seems a lot less daunting. Plus, keeping up good exercise habits will keep extra weight in check and make it easier to pick up right where you left off. I'm also now fully aware of how difficult losing weight can be (as compared to sitting on my *kitten* gaining it!) and that definitely helps in making good food choices!

In the meantime, I've been loving every sip of juice I'm told to drink, every extra carb I'm told to eat to avoid morning sickness, and the full fat dressing that now needs to cover my salads. Don't get down on it too much!!

Thank you for sharing this!!!
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Aww that's kind of a bummer, but such a blessing! I was only 3lbs away from my ultimate goal... THREE!!! And I got pregnant. I was so sad at first because I wanted to enjoy my new weight loss before gaining it all back+some. I'm 29 weeks and about 16lbs over my highest weight ever. It's hard. It makes me sad some days, but I'm trying to drill it into my head that "it's only 9 months".
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I totally am feeling you on this! I had lost 62lbs and FINALLY made it out of the 200s. We had thought it would take 3-4 cycles to get pregnant and I was hoping to be 180 by then. Well one month later and at 195 I got my BFP. Like others have said I was super excited about the baby and still am.....but my weight gain has totally gotten me bummed out. I have already gained 23lbs (give or take) and am 23w. Yikes :embarassed:

I talked to my OB about calories and exercise and he had me go up to 1800 during the 1st tri and then 2040 during the 2nd and 3rd tri. I am trying hard to stick with it, but there are days I go way over. Its been hard to keep up with the exercise because of fear of m/c (have had 2) and due to uterine pain. Plus it is so stinkin HOT!!!

My only advice is to try to eat healthy and not fret too much. Keep up with water intake and exercise and enjoy your pregnancy!
  • birdslikearms
    birdslikearms Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Me too! Me too! :c) I got my BFP last Monday... after 3 weeks of no weight loss, I am now 5weeks2days preggo. I guess I did see it coming, but didn't want to admit it. I am still kind of not admitting it just yet. I am on Week #9/10 of Jillian Micheals Body Revolution and let me tell you, 4 more weeks and I would have finished! Arrg!!!! I am annoyed I can't finish this up right now. I rebooted and went back to week #1/2 and will go from there again since week #9/10 steps it up into high impact and a lot of twisting.

Since I started to exercise regularly, I lost a total of 10lbs. I am 143lbs steady now for a month and I dropped 4 sizes. I was just soooo happy to loose weight and I am soooo motivated RIGHT now (maybe I wont be later you know) to exercise and drop the weight. I up'ed my calories and I am still exercising 6 days a week. Today I made it through, but it was the hardest day so far because I've been so nauseous all day. But I plan to keep it up and hopefully keep my motivation going to get back on the loose weight train in 9 months!

Good news is, I have a lot of clothes that will fit for inbetween needing to move into maternity clothes and a lot of it is loose fitting because thats all I've been wearing since I gained my initial weight. I am happy for the new bean, but still annoyed I have to bottle up my exercise motivation. This will be my 3rd pregnancy!
  • bkay30
    bkay30 Posts: 43
    Options
    I just got my BFP over the weekend. Im 4 weeks today!!! Im conflicted as well. Totally excited though. We want baby #3, actually tried to get pregnant for 6 months with no luck. I decided to take a break from TTC and lose weight over the summer. Im one month in, 11 pounds lost, I feel GREAT and then I find out Im pregnant.

My mindset is all about calorie counting and workouts. Im sad I cant go to my turbo kick class anymore :(

There has got to be a way to safely lose my hamburger/fries fat, but still gain the healthy baby weight. Like somehow it evens out and I dont gain anything? Does that make sense?

What have yall heard about exercise and pregnancy. Is the HR no higher than 140 true?
  • Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    What have yall heard about exercise and pregnancy. Is the HR no higher than 140 true?
    I asked my OB about the HR under 140 thing and he said if you have been exercising for at least a month and tend to go over 140 then you are fine. He said your body is already used to it and there is nor harm just stay hydrated the entire workout.

Buuuuuuut I have heard from other ladies that their OB's say differently. I would check with yours.