Adventures of A Morningstar Newbie

Options
So...the grocery store had a sale on Morningstar products, so I went for broke. The only way I'm going to figure out is to try them all. So when I saw the sale at Target, I pretty much bought one of everything. So far, I am in love with the Spicy Black Bean Burgers and the Original Veggie Burgers:love: (I generally eat them w/out bread and w/out any condiments). At first taste, I did not like the Chik'n Nuggets, but with a little bbq dipping sauce they were tolerable. This past weekend, I felt old fashioned and nostalgic and decided that I wanted Hot Dog (Morning Star Veggie Dogs) & Beans (Bush's Vegetarian Baked Beans). Now, I am not a person that uses condiments often. If it were left up to me, a bottle of ketchup could stay in my fridge forever. But, when I bit into the first veggie dog, it was not good:sick: . I quickly threw the hotdog on a piece of bread with cheese, relish and bbq sauce to make it edible. I cut the second hot dog up and mixed it into my beans to mask the taste. Needless to say, I won't be trying the veggie dogs again. I still have a freezer full of Morningstar products to taste so until next time...:tongue:

Replies

• jmilian825
    jmilian825 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    well I didn't like the hot dog without adding condiments such as relish ketchup mustard onion powder & curry just for taste still weren't very good but I do love the prime grillers I find those tasty I also like the chick patties get them real toasted also the pizza burgers taste good the sausage links are aweful! the sausage patties are kinda good. I have also tried the corn dogs those taste ok drowned in ketchup and mustard... so they are not all bad to me but some just make you feel like you licked the floor or something..
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I love Morning Start Buffalo Wings! I eat them plain with a side of rice.
  • hypersensitiveb
    hypersensitiveb Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That's strange to me that you don't like the hot dogs. My girls 20 & 14 both meat eaters like those better than the real meat ones. We gave up buying real hot dogs because every one ate the veggie ones we bought for us.
    They love the maple sausage pattys too. I can't keep them in my house more than a day. The burger crumbles are great to add instead of beef I'm most recipies, my mom makes the best veggi loaf with it. All the chicken products are ok. The burgers we have a split vote I like the black bean hubbi like the original grillers.
  • MNPierce80
    MNPierce80 Posts: 21
    Options
    I haven't tried the grillers yet. Has anyone tried the ribs? Even when I ate meat, I didn't eat ribs, so it's a little hard for me to get past my own mind and try the ribs.
  • MNPierce80
    MNPierce80 Posts: 21
    Options
    I didn't see pizza burgers. I have to go looking for those
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My kids love the ribs and the chick'n tenders or patties. I prefer Smart Dogs to Morningstar ones and Boca burgers to any of their burgers (except the Asian ones, those are yummy). All the chick'n products definitely need to be baked until really crispy. I am not going to lie, I think those veggie corn dogs are an amazing treat, but since I have moved away from processed foods I don't eat them or most of these other products anymore. My veggie kids eat them all for me:)
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was craving a hotdog yesterday, so I picked up a package of Yves brand veggie dogs in the deli case at Walmart and had my hubby throw a couple on the grill. I took my first bite and felt like I bit into an old tire. It was like chewing on rubber! I was very disappointed in the taste as well. Maybe I'll try another brand and hope for the best--otherwise, I'll have to forgo any future hotdog cravings :-\
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ^^^veggies dogs are AWFUL grilled, they do best for short time in the microwave ( 20-30 seconds) or maybe heated in a pan quickly.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    ^^^veggies dogs are AWFUL grilled, they do best for short time in the microwave ( 20-30 seconds) or maybe heated in a pan quickly.

Thanks for the advice! I will give them another try. :-)
  • blueday617
    blueday617 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The chick'n patties and the veggie burgers (any kind) are fantastic! I normally just eat them with a roll and nothing else. I am not as fond of some of their other products though. Just keep experimenting, you'll figure out what you enjoy soon enough. :)