New!

Options
jsiino
jsiino Posts: 2 Member
Hello all!

I've been with fitness pal for a while, but I am terrible at keeping up with it.

I played sports all my life. In my youth I played soccer, field hockey and softball. I played soccer competitively and even played for our state's Olympic development team.

Eventually, as I approached the end of my high school career I was having pain that none of my peers felt or understood. I went in for blood work and to see a rheumatologist. They told me I probably had Fibromyalgia and/or Epstein Bar and they didn't really know what was going on. The rheumatologist told me the reason my joints were hurting was actually not arthritis, but that I had joint hyperextension synrome (basically that my ligaments are stretched out and too flexible, so they don't support my joints and the joints injure easier).

I eventually slowed down my exercise because of it, and now I have a desk job where I don't get to move around a lot.

When I was at my goal weight (135-140) I was in high school and at practices for 2-4 hours a day during the week and tournaments every weekend.

It's hard to be motivated to keep working out when I know I can never devote that much time to it again because of my diagnosis.

I'm only 23, so I feel like I'm too young to have this problem and I'm too young to be this overweight.

Replies

• donnawannalose
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble. I know it is hard. Everyone always tells me I am too young to have the health problems I have and I'm 40 years old. It must be so much harder for you. We can get through it though - by adapting and with support from friends and family. There are a lot of great people on here. Things get frustrating...really frustrating. Just say something when you are down and talk it out. Write it out even if no one sees it but you.

I know it is hard when you can't do what you want. I went back to school to be able to get a job at the hospital and I was on medical leave for most of a year out of the 3 I worked there before I have to quit. I loved the job but when you are working with people you can't risk making mistakes.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with myself and trying to keep busy. I finally learned that I have to move on and stop looking back at where I was. I hope you can to.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you (OP) have EDS - Hypermobility Syndrome. It's really not fun. I have both EDS and Fibromyalgia, and let me tell you, it makes things rather difficult. The humidity really exacerbates the pain I already have, so right about now, I'm having some issues. Just doing what I can do.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like - it helps to have people that know what you're going through.

Also - I have had pain as long as I can remember, and started having debilitating knee pain when I was 13 or 14. Diagnosed with FMS when I was about 25, and HMS when I was 26 or so.
  • jsiino
    jsiino Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Love the support. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one out there who struggles with that kind of stuff.

For a long time I just thought I was being weak and lazy, so it was hard not to get down on myself about it.

At last, there are people who get it!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you (OP) have EDS - Hypermobility Syndrome. It's really not fun. I have both EDS and Fibromyalgia, and let me tell you, it makes things rather difficult. The humidity really exacerbates the pain I already have, so right about now, I'm having some issues. Just doing what I can do.

Feel free to send me a friend request if you'd like - it helps to have people that know what you're going through.

Also - I have had pain as long as I can remember, and started having debilitating knee pain when I was 13 or 14. Diagnosed with FMS when I was about 25, and HMS when I was 26 or so.

This ^^^^^^^
    What is EDS? I know I have Fibro, Chronic fatigue, lymphedema won't bore you with other health issues and even at 40 I can't believe this is happening to me. Does anyone else struggle with severe depression because of it? I cannot exercise even if I could handle the pain. The lymphedema causes swelling in body parts that has the blockage of lymphatic system where the fluid is blocked. I did arm circles exercises and my right wrist swelled up to 2 inches more than my left wrist arm also to elbow. There is no known cure for any of the above.
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options

This ^^^^^^^
    What is EDS? I know I have Fibro, Chronic fatigue, lymphedema won't bore you with other health issues and even at 40 I can't believe this is happening to me. Does anyone else struggle with severe depression because of it? I cannot exercise even if I could handle the pain. The lymphedema causes swelling in body parts that has the blockage of lymphatic system where the fluid is blocked. I did arm circles exercises and my right wrist swelled up to 2 inches more than my left wrist arm also to elbow. There is no known cure for any of the above.

EDS is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - I have Hypermobility type. Essentially, there's either a breakdown or a malformation of the collagen in your body, which causes the connective tissue to be defective. This causes your joints to be loose. It can be quite a problem, and causes chronic pain. Some people have found that certain exercise helps. It's very easy to injure yourself though, so exercising can be rather difficult. I know that personally, right about any time I get into a good routine, I injure myself. It's too easy to do. It's rather frustrating.
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Thank You for explaining what EDS is now I know. I feel compassion to you and everyone that has EDS