Bike shopping.... need advice!

Options
jaded082
jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
Yay!!! I am going bike shopping this week! I am getting rid of my Walmart Mountain bike and going to join the big boys (girls) road bike club! :-)

So, I plan to go check them out and ride a few to see what feels best but there is a few I have my eye on. I had thought about getting a dual sport bike but my hubby kinda talked me out of it and said I was pretty much getting the low end of both worlds and I could get so much more bike for my money if I would just go with a road bike since that is what I am on 99% of the time.

'12 Specialized Dolce Elite Compact (I really like this one!)

'12 Specialized Allez Elite Compact

'12 Cannondale Synapse 5 Compact

So my question is two part. First is there really that big of a difference between Shimano Tiegra and the 105's? If it helps any, I ride about 50-60 miles a week currently on my cheap Walmart bike, I would expect that to go up if not double or triple once I am on a good road bike.

Second question is what do you think of the above bikes? Obviously I need to go in sit on them, ride them and feel them out. But I would love to get the general opinion out there.

Yay! I am so excited!! And nervous. I have never owned a road bike. My husband has had some pretty nice ones but it has never been anything I thought I would get into until lately and I found how much I love cycling.

Replies

• midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the world of road bikes! The three bikes that you have listed are all very good bikes. Of the three, you should pick the one that best FITS you. If all three fit, get the one you like the most. As far as the 105 / Tiagra components, since Tiagra is now 10 speeds, it is like apples to oranges. The casual rider will most likely not be able to tell the difference although a pro will.

If you feel you will be doing a lot of riding, I would take the 105 equipped bike. I have 105 on my cyclocross bike and it takes a beating and it keeps on going. My wife has Tiagra and 105 on two of her bikes. The Tiagra just feels a bit cheaper to me but it is an older version. Hope this helps. Let us know what you get and show it off here!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Agree with getting a fit first. For $250 I was given all my measurements and the frames that would fit me best. This eliminated about 2/3 of what I was considering and opened my eyes to brands/frames that I never would have considered.

Component wise I had Tiagra/105 mix on my old bike. The 105 shifted crisply and never mis-shifted. The Tiagra was a different story. I personally wouldn't ever look under 105 in Shimano or Rival in SRAM.
  • Tcormie
    Tcormie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Fit is key, some locals will charge for a fitting $250 sounds a bit extreme, but hey if it provides you with a ride that works who knows. My wife has a 105/tiagra mix on her bike and loves it (Tiagra Shifters and 105 derailieurs) we ride 50 to 80 a week. Get out and ride..;) P.S. I like the Specialized Compact.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    While fit is important, if you are pretty typical proportions it can be less important. I've got 5 bikes, about to be 6, and only ever been fitted to my tri (race) bike. I'm pretty typical height with pretty standard proportions, so my LBS just adjusts seat post, bars, and maybe swaps out the stem and I'm good to go.

But if you're not, then it's definitely worth the time and money to get fitted. Most shops will fit you for free if you buy the bike from them.

As far as the Tiagra/105 question... is Tiagra now STI? They didn't used to be. If so, then it's not a huge difference to the typical rider. 105 will probably be a bit crisper, but derailleurs are largely disposable parts so they are easy to upgrade down the road.

Specialized and cannondale are both great companies... can't go wrong with either.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the wonderful world of roadies! FWIW, I like Specialized better than Cannondale, but you'll find good arguments for both sides. If one of the two Specialized bikes you listed come with the 105 components, that would be the better choice. As others that have responded have pointed out, make sure the bike fits you and your riding style. If you have to get the Tiagra group to get a better fit, go for it. You can always upgrade later. Have fun and keep the rubber side down.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My first bike was a 2010 Synapse 5. I rapidly "outgrew" that and moved up to a SuperSix 4 with SRAM Rival components. I won't go back to Shimano...and I wouldn't personally look at anything less than 105, though I love my SRAM Apex group on my CX bike just as much as the Rival on my road bike--mostly it just weighs more. But I have found it to be super reliable, even riding through mud and crap.

Ultimately, my preference is to pick the LBS that treats you best, THEN find the best bike for you that they carry. If they are a good shop they will make sure that it's right for you and will make all the adjustments to get you comfortable.
  • jaded082
    jaded082 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!!! So excited! Got a '07 Scott Contessa Cr1 Team bike tonight. Steal of a deal since the owner upgraded to a Cervela. All components are 105, with upgraded Ultegra shifters and derailers.

Thanks everyone for all the great info!! Look forward to really hitting the roads now! :-)
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    That is a REALLY sweet ride! You are gonna love it!