MAJOR swelling!

Options
Lainn
Lainn Posts: 281 Member
I have never been pregnant in the summer. All my babies have been born in the height of winter and so I never had to deal with the heat. With all my pregnancies I didn't swell up till about 4-2 weeks before delivery and even then it wasn't bad. Just enough to make me slightly uncomfortable.

Well this time I am very pregnant during the summer (23w tomorrow) and live in a hot dry desert climate. I am swelling ALL THE FREAKING TIME!!!

Yesterday I could hardly bend my legs due to the swelling! I know drinking water helps a lot and I am guzzling it for all my worth, but I am still swelling like a balloon. Is there tips or tricks to keep it down? I could really use some advice!

Replies

• myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could lower your sodium if you haven't done that already. Drink a ton of water compared to what you'd usually drink.... Rotate cold and hot packs on your legs. Sorry that's all I've got for ya.
  • Lainn
    Options
    I am working on the sodium. This last week probably wasn't great being on vacation, but I did try to eat healthier while eating out. I been drinking 12c a day...not sure I could physically do more lol.

Would hot packs help? Seems like it would make it worse? Or maybe just the thought of something hot in this heat makes me cringe lol. Thanks Sabrina I appreciate the advice!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I am working on the sodium. This last week probably wasn't great being on vacation, but I did try to eat healthier while eating out. I been drinking 12c a day...not sure I could physically do more lol.

Would hot packs help? Seems like it would make it worse? Or maybe just the thought of something hot in this heat makes me cringe lol. Thanks Sabrina I appreciate the advice!

My dr said if I'm swelling to rotate the hot and cold... But I totally get what you mean about hot wanting a hot pack when it's already too stinking hot outside already! =P I'd feel the same way. ... Maybe if your feet are a problem you could by one of those cheap personal foot spas =) Nice massage etc with those, so it wouldn't see as bad. I used that a lot with my last pregnancy. My feet were sooooo swollen I practically moaned when I stuck my feet in there with the massage going LOL
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I don't have any solutions, but I'm curious to hear the responses. By the time I get home at night my face and my legs are super puffy. And I'm only 25wks :(

- a swelling up FTM.
  • Jillsie11
    Jillsie11 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I swelled up a TON my first pregnancy- was due at the end of July. You just have to reduce your sodium- that's KEY. Elevate your feet whenever possible, and drink tons of water. Unfortunately that's all that can be done. I'm 21 weeks now, but am def doing better on the swelling front this time around and I would say it's because of watching my sodium/drinking more water...Hope this helps a little bit:)
  • jenns65
    jenns65 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just had this discussion with my OB on Friday. More water, stay in when it is hot (hard I know) and keep you feet elevated and hands if they swell. I got some Epsom salt and soak my feet in the hottest water I can stand with a 1/2 - 1 cup of the salt and soak until the water is room temp. You feet will look bigger when you are done but trust me through out the night you will pee it out. I soaked in an Epsom salt bath last night since my back was killing me and it helped.
  • Lainn
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I also talked to my OB yesterday about it and he said the same thing lol.

Lower sodium, lots and lots of water, stay out of the heat, and elevate my limbs when swollen. I am just not diggin this whole preggo during the summer thing lol. I drank lots of water through the night (I drink every time I get up to go to the loo) and I still woke up super swollen :( I guess it doesn't help I live in such a hot climate. Its 10am and already 90 degrees. Yuck.
  • Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This is my first pregnancy and I'm noticing some swelling. 26 weeks along, due in October. I live in a very dry, somewhat hot climate - mostly in the mid 80's now through July, with our hottest when I'll be much bigger, of course! When I walk with my dog in the mornings, I notice more swelling. The best relief I've had is from swimming. I do water aerobics 3-4 times a week and try to at least float around in the pool after any workouts (after workouts is when I have the worst swelling). I don't drink nearly as much water as I could, working on that. But definitely, definitely recommend swimming and/or floating in a pool if you can! Good luck to all of us summer preggos!