Any runners out there? Beginner seeking advice

Options
I am planning on running my first 5K in August. Any tips on how to train for it? Also, what are some good foods to eat during the process? I watch what I eat but I wasn't sure if there is anything I should put in or take out. Thank you for the help!

Replies

• BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Start running slowly.........2-3 times a week. When I started 2 years ago I couldnt run a mile hahahahahhaha I now have ran 1/2 marathon and the Shamrock shuffle 3 times! yay!!!
  • barleespringers
    Options
    There is also free running guides online, like how and when to add those miles. At least a 5k is fairly easy. It took me a months worth of training to be able to run the Chicago Monster dash.
  • barleespringers
    Options
    One more thing, if you want to run anything longer then a 5k. I would recommend joining CARA.
    http://www.cararuns.org/
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Just need to stick with it. I have been running for 4 months and clearly remember those first couple weeks. Now a 5k is easy and actually fun. I have run a race for a last 3 weeks and another next week. It gets addicting.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I know this is quite old, but if you have an i-device (or an android too, I'm sure) there are aps to help. I just downloaded a 10k trainer (free) and it is a 14 week program that does walk/run intervals. 3x a week and then increases the run time each week. At week 8 it says you should be able to run a 5k.

It is nice because you can listen to whatever music is on your device, then the music dims a bit and a voice tells you to either walk or run, so you don't have to look at a watch or anything.

Alas, I'm stuck at week 3 because it has just been too ****ing hot out there :tongue: