5-Finger Shoes... Barefoot running question.

Options
I was wondering if anyone runs in these shoes? I currently run in the NB Minimus barefoot shoe. The longest I have ran is training and completing a half marathon last Fall. My hopes are to run another half this Fall and then train for a full marathon.

Has anyone ran that distance in the Vibram shoes? Did you have any problems?

The dude at REI was not on the barefoot train and told me to use the barefoot as supplement because if I don't I will pay for it in 10 years. I love my current barefoot shoes and my IT band problems are gone as well as back problems from wearing a more "structured" shoe.

I bought some and plan to start running in them next week when I get cleared for exercise post pregnancy.

The best part about REI is if I buy them, run in them, and hate them... I can still return them.

Replies

• Jonathanfales
    Jonathanfales Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like wearing wright socks in my NB Minimus. For that reason I cant do the vibram unless I want to try Injinji socks. The reason for the socks is for toe blister protection at the tips. I know many people who run full marathons in Vibrams but it took them a long time to work up to that distance. If you can do a half in Minimus, just keep slowly uping the mileage and Im sure all will be fine.

Curious? Why the switch to 5Fingers? I love my Minimus and would be interested in your perspective.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I would say try going true barefoot sometimes to supliment your training. I ran a 5k barefoot last week. My technique is always better when I'm barefoot.

I agree with the previous poster on why the switch to VFFs?? When I'm not barefoot I'm in Merrell Road Gloves. I get more blisters in those than I do w/o shoes at all!

I have a couple MFP friends that do distance running the VFFs so it is possible.

BTW, the REI guys is full of *kitten*. He's just trying to sell you a $200 pair of shoes.
  • leeapeea
    leeapeea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That REI guy is probably asked about running in Vibrams from every 5th customer- many of whom have never run at all. You, however, are a runner and have been running in minimalist shoes, and I assume you know your barefoot technique is good and you won't get hurt.

I run in vibrams as a training supplement. I'm way too clumsy to run in them all the time- I'd loose my toes- and my barefoot technique isn't solid enough to run in minimalist shoes all the time. Injury from roots and rocks seems to be the most prominent among the trail runners I know that run in vibrams.

From the small amount of outdoor mileage I've done in them I'd say the biggest problem is getting pebbles and sticks between my toes. The sole on the vibrams is as stiff as running glove shoes, so it's hard to spread out your toes and get rid of debris without stopping and fixing it. I also get hot spots on the back of my heel after a long day of wearing them (they're GREAT kayaking shoes), no matter how I adjust the straps.

I've seen people complete 50K's and 50 mile trail runs in vibrams, so yes, it's possible. Have fun on your new adventure! :-)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Other than for fit & comfort reasons, I wouldn't see the difference running in VFF's compared to the NB minimus or merril glove line.
    Other than trying to run on too rough/rocky of trails I've had no issues with my VFF's. I also eased into them over about 2 years now. The longest I've gone is 10 miles. I was hoping to get a pair of trail gloves for my rougher trails, but when I tried them on I didn't feel any more protection than what the VFF's give already.
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My feet always feel sore after 1.5 hours or so in the Vibrams, but I'm sure you could build yourself up to longer distances. (Maybe I should try to build myself up to longer, but then again I never run with my Vibrams on trails, which is where I do nearly all of my running.)
  • DreadRunner
    Options
    I did a half in Vibrams. It was nice. I did find that when I did multiple long mileage runs in a week my feet would hurt but I think that's just because I've run in regular shoes for so long. I did a marathon in my Merrells and that was ok too. I ended hurting my knee a bit but it wasn't due to the shoes (well kind of). I'm currently running in my Nike Frees more but my knee pain is worse.

Whatever shoe you pick just make sure you consistently train in them. With the half I trained exclusively with the Vibrams and with the marathon I switched off. No injuries during the half and an injury in the marathon. If I had to blame something it'd be the training in different shoes.