Interesting programme coming up

Options
jodie_t
jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
"The Men who made us Fat"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01jxzv8

BBC2, 9pm , 14/6

" In the 1970's the US had a problem, it was producing too much corn. The solution was to encourage Americans to tuck into high fructose corn syrup which was soon found in most processed foods and drinks... but there was a major issue, the syrup intereferes with a hormone that controls appetite, people couldn't stop eating & obesity levels began to soar....first of a 3-part series ... finds out who and what is to blame for the fact that the world is getting fatter..."

Should be interesting. Tho weirdly I was watching a documentary about working class London around 1900's - most of the women were HUGE! little skinny kids, quite skinny men & huge women - I think we kid ourselves if we think everyone was perfectly proportioned before widespread quick meals :wink:

Replies

• kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Going to have to Plus that. :bigsmile:
  • angeseabridge
    angeseabridge Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing about the programme, will have to watch that :happy:
  • angelden4
    angelden4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, have just put a series link into the Freesat +
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC...about time this info got out!!!!! Lets chat after we watch it, thanks for the post!!! :0)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There's a great article on this in the Guardian here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat
  • kyle4jem
    Options
    There's a great article on this in the Guardian here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/jun/11/why-our-food-is-making-us-fat
    Excellent article... thanks for posting :smile:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Excellent article... thanks for posting :smile:

Seconded!! And will definitely be trying to watch the programme on iPlayer
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    sounds good, will watch that on iplayer, many thanks :smile:
  • kyle4jem
    Options
    SPOILER - - - DON'T READ IF YOU WANT TO WATCH PROGRAMME FIRST

I watched this last night and it was very interesting. I have seen similar programmes on TV about the effects of HFCS on our body (if consumed in high volumes which many morbidly obese people (in the USA) currently consume it in soft drinks, burgers, breads, sauces, dressings, etc) but this programme not only concentrated on the effects, but rather on how these products ever came into existence and who was responsible for the decisions that led to them.

If Teddy Rooseveldt's rule of "the buck stops here" was in effect then it was all Richard M Nixon's fault (for it was under his administration that Earl Butz was appointed and he decreed that farmers should go into the industrial production of corn, from which - thanks to Japanese scientists - HFCS was born.

Then Coca-Cola started using HFCS instead of sugar (followed by all the other soft drink manufacturers in the US) and in increasingly quantities, far sweeter than sugar.I was shocked at the high % consumption of soda in the USA - far much more than in Europe - so when that woman from the American Association of Beverages was asked should the soft drink manufacturers shoulder any of the responsibility for the obesity epidemic in the US, she looked at Peretti and blatantly lied. Her analogy was pathetic. "if you swim in the ocean you don't expect to get bitten by a shark". No indeed you don't, dear, but if the ocean were as shark-infested as per the use of HFCS in the food and beverages of the USA, then YES, you most certainly would get bitten, in fact you'd be torn to shreds.

In the UK and Europe, HFSC wasn't used, but good old sucrose still prevailed and I growing up in the 70s and 80s I never really thought about "snacking" as being something new. Then again, my dad was a Newsagent and apart from newspapers, magazines and tobacco, we sold confectionery and sugary soft drinks, so it was our livelihood (and a rather profitable one at that).

As a child, I had unlimited access to sweets, crisps and coca-cola and not surprisingly I put on weight and was a lardy lump. As a teenager, I did try and diet and lost a bit of weight, but I was also consuming 3000+ Calories a day and about 75% was from sweets and crisps. However, I was also active, and probably burned about 2000 Calories a day so I managed to maintain but was never skinny. And so my sweet-tooth was born and to this day, I have to have my daily chocolate fix to get me through the day.

I do ration myself now and I shall be giving up the sugary carbs for a couple of months again soon to help kick-start part 2 of my weight-loss plan.

I shall be interested to see how this series of programmes develops over the 3 weeks. :happy:
  • lizzue
    lizzue Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It was a great programme... I will deffo be watching the rest of them! x
  • scooterist
    scooterist Posts: 17
    Options
    file.php?id=3148

Makes me hungry
  • AussieRachG
    AussieRachG Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this series!!!

Another great one to watch is Jimmy and the Giant Supermarket - where Farmer Jimmy tries to prove to Tesco that you can make their best selling meat products free range/organic. I can't remember whether it's on BBC, 4OD or ITV, though... it's definitely on one of the freeview channels that you can watch on demand online!