Welcome Long Hair Lovers!

Options

Replies

• widdley24
    widdley24 Posts: 3
    Options
    HI everyone my name is Sarah and I have super curly ringlet hair! I'm transitioning from straightening my hair all the time to only straightening it every few months. I have only straightened my hair 3 or 4 times this year so I'm so happy about that. I hate how dry my hair gets using the flat iron. I also use Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel and it is sooooo awesome in my hair, I would definitely recommend it to people of African American backgrounds

Do you know where I can find the oil please, my daughter is not of africal decent at all but has very very tight curly hair that sticks out instead of dropping, its to her mid back when wet and just below her ears when dry, gives you and idea on the curls, would love to find a product to give her some weight and definition
  • cloudsgrl
    cloudsgrl Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello everyone, my name is Amber and I'm starting out on mfp to try and lose some weight. Starting small, working my way out. Anyway, I have long hair, naturally wavy and it's steadily getting out of hand. >.< No matter if I braid it the night before or use special conditioners and creams, my hair forms these insane rat's nests near my face and the back of my neck. I have to admit I haven't gotten it cut recently, but I'm making plans to see someone to at least trim it to get rid of the split ends I have. Nice to meet you all!
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Ami. I don't dye my hair, use products, or blow dry. Recently cut my butt-length hair to donate it to Locks of Love. Looking to regrow and possibly even re-donate.

I love that you donate your hair. In the past, they wouldn't take mine because I dyed it. I think they take dyed hair now, though.

Thanks :) I am pretty sure they do take dyed hair now, but not permed, bleached, or chemical processed hair.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Diane.. Currently dying my hair blond with high lights, and trying to grow it out. Naturally curly and it used to be a pain the butt but it's getting better with age.

Looking to see how others take care of their hair.. Never heard of cowashing before, so I'm curious to learn what it is!
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use the eco styler Olive Oil gel and it is great I got mine from a Sallys Beauty Supply. I got a really big jar for about $5
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kellie, I've always had short hair until recently and now its probably down to my armpits and I'm looking to go mid back, maybe a little longer. My hair is super fine, silky, and a pain unless I use products and blow dry it, so I've taken to the alternative and only try to shampoo every 3 days and co wash one day and not do anything to it the other. I tend to dye my hair a dark brown just because I like it and its different than all the crazy little blondes around me, but recently I haven't dyed it, so its probably good for my hair. I get my hair trimmed probably every 2 months just because of how fine my hair is I need the layers to keep some weight off of it and to keep it healthy. I look forward to hearing tips and tricks, especially if any of you are plagued by fine, silky, greasy hair like me!
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    HI everyone my name is Sarah and I have super curly ringlet hair! I'm transitioning from straightening my hair all the time to only straightening it every few months. I have only straightened my hair 3 or 4 times this year so I'm so happy about that. I hate how dry my hair gets using the flat iron. I also use Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel and it is sooooo awesome in my hair, I would definitely recommend it to people of African American backgrounds

Do you know where I can find the oil please, my daughter is not of africal decent at all but has very very tight curly hair that sticks out instead of dropping, its to her mid back when wet and just below her ears when dry, gives you and idea on the curls, would love to find a product to give her some weight and definition

You should definitely try gels with light hold then. Eco Styler may be just what you're looking for. Sounds like your daughter has some beautiful curls :smile:
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Datenshi.

I have wavy hair down to my mid back. I used to have it to my waist but my split ends were so bad I cut it to mid-back. My hair is wavy but not the good wavy. It is the looks messy no matter how you treat or style it wavy. It goes straight if I blow dry it but I only blow dry a couple of times a month. I dye it occassionally as well.

I want to grow it to my waist again but need to find out how to prevent these split ends.

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Hi, I am Datenshi.

I have wavy hair down to my mid back. I used to have it to my waist but my split ends were so bad I cut it to mid-back. My hair is wavy but not the good wavy. It is the looks messy no matter how you treat or style it wavy. It goes straight if I blow dry it but I only blow dry a couple of times a month. I dye it occassionally as well.

I want to grow it to my waist again but need to find out how to prevent these split ends.

Take care,
    Datenshi

Welcome Datenshi!!
    If your hair is splitting, it may because is dry. It needs moisture to keep it flexible. It would also be a good Idea to blow dry less. Protecting the ends by wearing your hair up and off your clothes and other object will keep your ends safe while trying to grow it back to waist length. Shampooing can be very harsh and drying on hair but evem worse if you already suffer from dry hair. Try using conditioner only to cleanse your hair (conditioner also had cleansing agents in it) or you could try Low "poo" alternatives if you dont want to go the conditioner only route (also known as CO-washing). I hope this helps. Good luck!!
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Datenshi.

Take care,
    Datenshi

Welcome Datenshi!!
    If your hair is splitting, it may because is dry. It needs moisture to keep it flexible. It would also be a good Idea to blow dry less. Protecting the ends by wearing your hair up and off your clothes and other object will keep your ends safe while trying to grow it back to waist length. Shampooing can be very harsh and drying on hair but evem worse if you already suffer from dry hair. Try using conditioner only to cleanse your hair (conditioner also had cleansing agents in it) or you could try Low "poo" alternatives if you dont want to go the conditioner only route (also known as CO-washing). I hope this helps. Good luck!!

Thank you so much for the advice. I am going to try the CO-washing and I never even thought about my hair rubbing against my clothing as being a potential culprit.

Take care,
    Datenshi
  • 4sandrad
    4sandrad Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

My name is Sandra and my hair has been in Sisterlocs for the last 3 years. Right now, I am about BS length and it seems to be going crazy in it's natural state. I love the versitility, because I can do just about any style imaginable and not have to worry about damage due to blow dryers, products, and chemicals. The best part.....no worries about sweating it out during workouts. Wash and go. I love it!!!

Thanks for the invite!!!
  • Empressmee
    Empressmee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies.. My name is Pam, my hair has been loc'd for 5 years. It was just below BS until January of this year. Some of my loc's snapped from being over processed (didn't completly get it all rinsed out) I trimmed it to just above shoulder length. I've since nursed it back to health and I am back on the path to long healthy hair :smile:
  • yolste07
    yolste07 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My name is Yolanda, I have been natural for almost 3 years, my hair has been locked for 2 years come October this year. My hair drew up when I started locking it is at my shoulders now I do not want it to be too long.
  • phatkris
    phatkris Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kris. And I have been natural since Mid/End 2006. I Loved my hair. I tried to loc my hair which started off great. It grew sooo fast. I have suffered from Alopecia since around 1994. It was doing well be between my locs and other stresses in 2010 I started going bald. In the beginning of this year I finally had a Doc say it will grow back. I now have a head full of hair it's just really really short maybe an inch.

I'm trying to get accustomed to short hair. Because when I went natural in 2006 I refused to do the BC. Now that I have done the BC in reverse :laugh: it's starting to grow on me. My goal is too have my hair between my Mid Back and My Shoulders. All ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Also could some one give me the legend for the length of hair. Like MB = Mid Back. That is about the only one i know.

Thanks,
    Kris
  • naturaldiv4
    Options
    Hello my name is Felecia, I have been natural for 2 years now and I refuse to go back. Going natural was the best thing I could have ever done for my hair. I didn't really do the BC, I wore braids a lot while transitioning and slow began to cut the relaxer out ever time I took my braids out. I am using Kinky Curl products now, I like them a lot but i am always open to try new things. Any Suggestions????
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Hi my name is Kris. And I have been natural since Mid/End 2006. I Loved my hair. I tried to loc my hair which started off great. It grew sooo fast. I have suffered from Alopecia since around 1994. It was doing well be between my locs and other stresses in 2010 I started going bald. In the beginning of this year I finally had a Doc say it will grow back. I now have a head full of hair it's just really really short maybe an inch.

I'm trying to get accustomed to short hair. Because when I went natural in 2006 I refused to do the BC. Now that I have done the BC in reverse :laugh: it's starting to grow on me. My goal is too have my hair between my Mid Back and My Shoulders. All ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Also could some one give me the legend for the length of hair. Like MB = Mid Back. That is about the only one i know.

Thanks,
    Kris

EL=Ear Length
    NL=Neck Length
    SL= Shoulder Length
    APL=Arm Pit length
    BSL=Bra strap length
    MBL=Midback Length
    WL=Waist length
    TBL=Tailbone length
    HL=Hip Length
    CL=Classic Length (or half your body length)
    FTL=Fairytale length (or to your ankles)
  • rockermom5
    rockermom5 Posts: 58
    Options
    Hello! My name is Dawn and currently, my hair is somewhere between MBL and WL when I pull is straight. I had WL hair until I had my first child, then got frustrated and cut it to my shoulders. I have let it grow and cut if over again a few times, but over the last few years, I decided I love it long, so that's where it stays. :) I have curly/wavy thick hair that I do color (I have 5 kids...I go gray on a daily basis!), but I rarely blowdry or straight iron. I am questing to find shampoo and conditioner that really work, so I hop around a lot from brand to brand. It seems that when I find something I like for curly hair, they discontinue it. It's very frustrating. I had never really heard of co-washing before, except in passing, so this is something I definitely may want to try.
  • Dana_gets_fit
    Dana_gets_fit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

My name is Dana and I have been natural for about 2 years now. I have APL hair and use the CG method. I am also looking to lose some weight.. I want to have healthy hair and a healthy body. The two goes hand and hand, in my opinion.

Currently, I am wearing a protective style and do very little to my hair...only a moisturizing spray. When I let the curls free, I co-wash about 2 times a week. I shampoo and use a deep conditioner monthly.

Please feel free to add me to your friends list. The more motivation I have the better I do. I love the encourage that I receive here. Can always benefit from a new friend!!!

Talk to you all soon!!!
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Hello and welcome to all the Long/Natural hair Lover Newbies :-)
  • tugboatme1
    tugboatme1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii!!!! iv grown my hair all my life and its almost down to my knees!!! i still want it longer tho.