Does your BS go stay high or go higher after a workout?

Options
I've noticed that if my blood sugar is on the high side before I work out, it goes up higher! Has anyone noticed that?

Replies

• BeFitwithT1
    BeFitwithT1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, mine does the same. In general, if I'm above 230, I'll go up and up until I end up well over 300. But on the flip side, if I'm below 170-180, I'll drop like a rock into the 40's. Most doctors would advise you not to begin a workout over 250 due to the risks of running even higher and developing ketones.
  • hotlilteacher
    Options
    I guess because I am actually committed to exercising now, I didn't notice it until now. I am also going to buy a HRM to make sure I am staying in a healthy heart rate zone so I am not causing any weirdness in blood sugars.
  • tracyjh01
    tracyjh01 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Most of the time if mine is above 250 it will go up, but there are other times when it will drop like a rock.
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I just talked to my endo about this at my appointment last week. I need to make sure my BS is about 170-180 before I head to the gym because I know it's going to drop at least 100 points during my workout. I was eating a piece of fruit before I went but that didn't seem to be helping.

My endo suggested trying something other than the fruit, which is straight carbs, like a Clif bar or something that has a little protein and fat in it, too. That way my blood sugar won't spike and then crash again because there's nothing to sustain it.

It sounds like it might work....now I just need to find time to get back to the gym to try it....... :(
  • hotlilteacher
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Butterfly!

I went to the gym yesterday, Did straight cardio. Went in with a BS of 150 and walked out 65! And it was moderate intensity, 40 minutes worth of cardio. I'm thinking maybe half a banana will be necessary next time.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm still receiving my basal rate, most of the time I remain fairly stable if I start in the 150-180 range. However, I used to stop my pump to get my sugar where I needed it and inevitably, after my workout my sugar would spike. Now I have a continuous glucose monitor, so I can usually intercept a spike after my workout, but not always. Anyway, you're not alone - I've definitely experienced spikes after working out. I think it's the liver releasing glucose to fuel the body that causes that increase in sugar.