Breastfeeding Cravings

Options
Hi everyone! I am new to MFP and to this group.

I have a 3 week old daughter that is breastfeeding exclusivly. I made it through my pregnancy gaining very little weight gain and experiencing very few cravings or food issues. However, now that I am home with my sweet baby I am ravinous for carbs (ie graham crackers, cheese crackers, bagels) and candy items (ie kit kat, snickers).

I am drinking LOTS of water each day trying to both build my milk supply and drown my cravings. The crazy thing is I think I am hungry because I am buring so many calories nursing but the only things that appeal to me are the above and if I allowed it I would be grazing on them ALL DAY LONG. I promise I could eat absurd amounts of these foods each day.

Anyone else?

I also need suggestions for quick, protien rich, healthy foods I can grab quickly for meals and snacks since I rarely have time to prepare food during the day when DH is at work. I am doing fine preparing good evening meals. I have even seriously considered buying a case of Ensure for meals during the day to get the proper nutrients.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

ETA: I have some pre-pregnacy weight to loose but right now my main goal is not gaining weight and building a healthly milk supply.

Replies

• apreslar27
    apreslar27 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat with the cravings! I had very few cravings during pregnancy but I have crazy cravings now. I rarely eat chocolate and now I think about it all the time. I also craved banana bread for a while and I always want milk these days.

I eat a lot of hard boiled eggs for breakfast or as a snack throughout the day. You can make a whole bunch at once and just grab them on the go. You can also try protein shakes, whole grain bread with peanut butter ( found an awesome bread with 5g of fiber and 5g of protein per slice- Great Grains with Flaxseed), string cheese with wheat things, or apples with peanutbutter. Beans have a lot of proteing too. That is all I can think of right now.

Congratulations of the birth of your daughter and on breastfeeding!!!
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    Dont feel bad at all!! I have those breastfeeding cravings as well... I have a three month old. While I was home with her I craved cookies... chocolate chip and oreos nonstop. Now, Im not a doctor but I do have 3 kids (all 5 and under) and the research I have done about increasing water intake to increase milk supply has indicated that downing lots of water will not increase milk supply... sometimes it can inhibit it. As long as your baby is gaining weight and eating without a problem your body will produce what is needed... you do still need to drink water... but dont think that drinking 20 glasses a day will make you a super producer :) (I tried it.. it didnt work. I did pee a lot though). I say indulge your cravings A LITTLE ... make sure you are eating balanced and all, but its ok to give in to a craving. Or try to find a more healthy way to get what you are craving... maybe whole wheat pasta for carbs? The cravings will pass... as long as you dont go overboard. I wouldnt limit yourself to Ensure either.. you need real food for your baby :) . Some things that I have tried are spinach salads with tuna, tomatos, cucumbers, onions, cheese, and some baco bits (love those); broiled country style ribs with baked potato (topped with salsa) and skewered veggies; homemade soup (if you know how... way less salt than canned soup); grilled bbq chicken with cornbread and veggies.... is it possibly to include one food that you are craving into a main meal ? Like have oatmeal or cream of wheat for breakfast with a bagel and cream cheese and milk? Again.. dont feel bad about the cravings and give in a little... you dont have to be super strict, everyone has their ups and downs and there is a bit of time for adjustment too :) . If you want you can friend me and I can give you some of my recipes and stuff :)

oh yeah, I am also exclusively breastfeeding (probably will til shes 1)..
  • labbott20
    labbott20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am a IBCLC Lactation Consultant and breastfeeding a 9 month old baby and I have cravings as well! I tell patients to eat healthy snacks often throughout the day. (Easier said than done) While tons of water will not increase your supply it is good for you. The foods that can increase your supply are oatmeal, barley and malt. Also, eating any dark green leafy vegetables is just plain good for you as well! Thenumber one way to increase your milk supply is breastfeeding on demand! Never limit your baby! She will be going through a growth spurt soon and that will naturally increase your supply as well.You have made such a healthful choice to breastfeed your baby! Congrats! You have to eat a minumum of 1500 cal a day to maintain your supply! Good Luck!
  • ljdborton
    ljdborton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am breastfeeding my 6 momth old and I feel like I could eat all day long....ughhhhh but as soon as I stop breastfeeding my appetite goes back to normal.... I am hoping to bf him until he is 6 months:) until then I am trying really hard to fight the cravings :)