Should i be pushing and pulling with my arms

Options
TonyaBtrfly
TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
Hi everyone. I've been using my new elliptical for 2 weeks. I am wondering after reading some articles whether or not i should be pushing and pulling with my arms because as of now i have been letting the machine do the arm work i am mainly just using my legs. I want to get the most out of my elliptical so let me know if i'm using it right Thanks

Replies

• onapoleon
    onapoleon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Generally I alternate between pushing and pulling. I like to do interval training on the machine so for one interval I'll pull my arms and push them on the other. That way you get a better balanced arm workout
  • aleshai
    aleshai Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I alternate pushing and pulling too, but I also drop my arms to the sides and don't hold onto anything for a challenge. It targets your core and balance not to rely on the handles.
  • tamaracat
    tamaracat Posts: 32
    Options
    I tend to do intervals at 6 and 12 resistance. On the 6 I tend not to hold on at all and use my core to balance. on the 12 I hold on and alternate pushing and pulling.
  • venusinprogress
    venusinprogress Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I plan on starting using it next week after work, as I found that the couch25k is too much for my kness atm. How many mins would you recommend for a beginner. I weigh 195lbs and am a size 18, I do a lot of walking but very little other exercise. I need to do something that burns lots of cals.
  • mr18actor
    mr18actor Posts: 480
    Options
    I agree with tamaracat on working the core. I normally do not use the machine for arms at all and concentrate on maintaining my balance and increasing core strength.