Games to Workout to!

Options
Provide thoughts on what games you think make the best work outs and why!

Here are a list of Active Games you might enjoy!

Wii Fit* (discontinued and replaced by Wii Fit Plus)
Wii Fit Plus*
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009*
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010*
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2011*
The Biggest Loser*
The Biggest Loser Challenge*
EA Sports Active*
EA Sports Active 2*
EA Sports Active More Workouts*
EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp*
Gold’s Gym Cardio Workout*
Daisy Fuentes Pilates*
Yoga*
Walk It Out* (can also be used with Dance Dance Revolution or Active Life mat)
My Fitness Coach
My Fitness Coach 2*
Ultimate Party Challenge (uses DDR mat)
Your Shape (uses Your Shape camera)
10 Minute Solution*
NewU Mind Body Yoga & Pilates*
Fit in Six (uses Your Shape camera)
Exerbeat*
Get Fit with Mel B*

Active sports games

Wii Sports
Wii Sports Resort
Active Life Outdoor Challenge (uses Active Life mat)
Active Life Extreme Challenge (uses Active Life mat)
Active Life Explorer (uses Active Life mat)
Active Life Magical Carnival (uses Active Life mat)
Tony Hawk Ride (uses Tony Hawk skateboard controller)
Tony Hawk Shred (uses Tony Hawk skateboard controller)
Shaun White Snowboarding Road Trip*
Shaun White Snowboarding World Stage*
We Ski*
We Ski and Snowboard*
Skate It*
Jumpstart Get Moving Family Fitness*
Family Party Fitness Fun*
Nickelodeon Fit
Cyberbike (stationary bike controller plus game)
UFC Personal Trainer

Dance/rhythm games

Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 2 (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party 3* (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Disney Grooves (uses DDR mat)
DanceDanceRevolution* (uses DDR mat)
DanceDanceRevolution II (uses DDR mat)
We Cheer
We Cheer 2
Helix (WiiWare download)
Just Dance
Just Dance 2
Just Dance 3
Just Dance Summer Party
Just Dance Kids
Just Dance Kids 2
Boogie SuperStar
Dance On Broadway
Gold’s Gym Dance Workout*
Kidz Bop Dance Party
Zumba
Zumba 2
Michael Jackson The Experience
The Black Eyed Peas Experience
ABBA You Can Dance
Country Dance
Country Dance 2
The Smurfs Dance Party
Nickelodeon Dance
Get Up and Dance

Playstation 3: (* indicates Move motion controller support)

DanceDanceRevolution* (uses DDR mat)
Sports Champions*
Get Fit with Mel B*
EA Sports Active 2*
Zumba*
Dance on Broadway*
Fit in Six*
Michael Jackson: The Experience*
UFC Personal Trainer*
Everybody Dance*
Grease Dance*
Just Dance 3*

Xbox 360: (* indicates Kinect support)

Fitness games

Your Shape: Fitness Evolved*
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2012*
Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout*
EA Sports Active 2*
Zumba Fitness*
Zumba Fitness Rush*
Jillian Michaels Fitness Adventure*
UFC Personal Trainer*
Self Defense Training Camp*

Dance/rhythm games

Dance Dance Revolution Universe (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe 2 (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Universe 3 (uses DDR mat)
High School Musical Senior Year Dance (uses DDR mat)
DanceDanceRevolution (uses DDR mat)
Michael Jackson The Experience*
The Black Eyed Peas Experience*
DanceMasters*
Dance Central*
Dance Central 2*
Just Dance 3*
Just Dance Kids 2*
Rhythm Party* (Xbox Live download)
Country Dance All Stars*
Grease Dance*
Nickelodeon Dance*

Sports and miscellaneous

Kinect Adventures*
Kinect Sports*
Kinect Sports Season Two*
Wipeout In The Zone*
Let’s Cheer*
Michael Phelps Push The Limit*
Rabbids Alive & Kicking*
Fruit Ninja Kinect* (Xbox Live download)
Junk Fu* (Xbox Live download)
Kung Fu High Impact*

DS: (DS games also play on 3DS)

The Biggest Loser
Personal Trainer: Walking (comes with 2 pedometers)
My Weight Loss Coach (comes with 1 pedometer)
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2010
Let’s Yoga
Let’s Pilates
Pokemon HeartGold Version (comes with Pokewalker pedometer)
Pokemon SoulSilver Version (comes with Pokewalker pedometer)
Personal Fitness for Women
Personal Fitness for Men
Quick Yoga Training

Gamecube: (All Gamecube games can also be played on the vertical-oriented Wii)

Karaoke Revolution Party (uses DDR mat; requires Gamecube mike)
Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix (uses DDR mat)

Xbox: (* indicates compatibility with Xbox 360)

Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 2 (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 3 (uses DDR mat)
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 4 (uses DDR mat)
Pump It Up Exceed (uses Pump It Up mat)*
Karaoke Revolution Party (uses DDR mat; Xbox mike required)
Yourself!Fitness (uses hand controller for info input only)*

Playstation 2: (except where noted, all these games use DDR mat)

DDRMAX
DDRMAX2
DDR Extreme
DDR Extreme 2
DDR SuperNova
DDR SuperNova 2
DDR X
DDR X2
DDR Disney Channel
Flow Urban Dance Uprising
Dance Factory
In The Groove
High School Musical Senior Year Dance
Dancing with the Stars
Britney’s Dance Beat
Pump It Up Exceed (uses Pump It Up mat)
Eye Toy Play (uses Eye Toy camera)
Eye Toy Play 2 (uses Eye Toy camera)
Eye Toy Groove (uses Eye Toy camera)
Eye Toy Antigrav (uses Eye Toy camera)
Eye Toy Kinetic (uses Eye Toy camera)
Yourself!Fitness (uses hand controller for info input only)

Playstation 1: (all use DDR mat)

Dance Dance Revolution
DDR Konamix
DDR Disney Mix

Replies

• Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    These are the games I've tried and what I think of them starting with the oldest to newest:
    Eye Toy Kinetic - When this came out I was very excited about it. It was the only game of it's kind and I thought it was so great at the time. In retrospect there were so many bugs, I don't think I ever got a great workout from it because the light had to be very bright (which made the room hot) and you needed lots of room but I enjoyed the dodgeball. I also cracked a bone in my hand when I hit a filing cabinet while playing so I'm biased.

EA Active and EA Active 2: I played the original one on the Wii a LOT and immediately bought Active 2 when it came out. I loved them both. The Wii version of Active 2 came with two new monitors and my leg monitor broke and I could never get it working again. That was probably after playing only 100 or so sessions. I then bought the Xbox Kinect version and alternate between that, Insanity and Zumba for my cardio workouts. I like the Kinect version except it can't seem to tell I am actually squatting sometimes (I'm not even small in stature so I have no idea what that is about). You still have to wear the bulky heart-rate monitor on your arm and that's only slightly awkward.

Zumba for the Wii: I suggest you skip the original...I hated that one but Zumba 2 is a lot of fun. There's lots of ways to mix it up and lots of achievements to win so that keeps me coming back. You can do single songs, short classes if you are short on time and medium or long if you want to sweat it out.

I use Wii Fit Plus just out of habit. And mostly I just do some of the games and yoga because it can really tell me when I'm shaky or steady. IT's worth it just for the Balance board.

With the Balance board I also love to play Ski and Snowboard but I think my favorite game for the Wii which isn't even really billed as fitness game is Punch Out! You can play with or without the balance board but using it gives you a much better workout and more accurate dodging of punches. I'm usually drenched in sweat when I finish playing that game.

For the Wii I used to love playing Just Dance and Just Dance 2 but it was pretty easy to cheat and get lazy. The Dance games on Xbox Kinect are a lot less forgiving. BUT if you only have the Wii....I would definitely suggest you get both of those if you like to dance or need an excuse to move

I'm really interested to hear what others think about some of the other games you posted. I am on the fence about joining another gym and I live in South Louisiana so it's almost unbearable to do outdoor workouts between now and October. I'm currently looking for more active games for either Wii or Xbox Kinect.
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    JD is out for Kinect now too, and as I work for Ubisoft (the developer/publisher) I have played this game a lot at events. It is a super good workout and JD4 comes out this year. We also have a game called Your Shape Fitness Evolved which the next installment comes out this year. I really liked this one as it did the full body scanning and was more of a traditional work out game with yogo, cardie, strength training, body monitoring etc. But I haven't really used them in a full blow weight loss movement, so I am looking forward to it.

I have the Wii Fit, but sad to say I used it like 3 days and then didn't touch it again. Not sure why, but I think it was just too easy to cheat with a Wii controller in the hand (like you mentioned).

My girlfriends also swear by Dance Central, and they are HUGE at trying to beat each others score as you have friend leader boards. With our kind of gamer competitive spirit, this might be something that would be fun for us to do as a group too!

Lastly, I have heard a TON of good feedback for the Zumba games and I definitely want to nab this!
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I loooved Dance Central,not so big on the Just Dance games it was really hard for me to get the moves down since there's no tutorial like there is with Dance Central but lots of energy but if I had to pick it would be Dance Central for me,hoping to buy some since I just tried them from Gamefly.
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    I just got The Black Eyed Peas Experience! It will be added to my Just Dance regimen. I'm going to invest in Your Shape Fitness Evolved soon, too. I hear it'll kick your *kitten*. :P
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just got The Black Eyed Peas Experience! It will be added to my Just Dance regimen. I'm going to invest in Your Shape Fitness Evolved soon, too. I hear it'll kick your *kitten*. :P

I really want the BEPE and I love the Michael Jackson Experience. However I've only done it on Wii (which I dont have or plan on buying) I hear its not the same on the 360 the reutine setup is completely different so not sure I'll like the same...definately plan on getting YSFE soon too!

Anyone try them on both? preferances?
  • evilpixiegrrr
    Options
    I only play the Just Dance games on the Wii. Mostly because the room I have my Kinect in is on the side of the house where our doggie door is and if I play in there the dogs will be under my feet while I play. I enjoy them on the Wii. Eventually I'll get a Kinect set up in the other room, I'm sure.

Yes, I'd love to hear how they compare as well. I find the Wii very responsive and have no complaints with it. The only thing is that it tracks your right hand only so I don't use wrist weights when I play. If the Kinect version tracks both hands then I'll add wrist weights.
  • darthkitty
    darthkitty Posts: 15
    Options
    I just started using Star Wars Dance Off and JD 3 on my Kinect!
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    I just started using Star Wars Dance Off and JD 3 on my Kinect!

Star Wars Dance OFF?!

*runs to the store to buy Kinect*
  • darthkitty
    darthkitty Posts: 15
    Options
    Star Wars Dance Off is apart of Star Wars Kinect. It's just the strangest, silliest thing in the world. Go ahead and youtube all the silly songs. So far, my favorite is "No speak huttanese" and it's all in huttanese.
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I really want the BEPE and I love the Michael Jackson Experience. However I've only done it on Wii (which I dont have or plan on buying) I hear its not the same on the 360 the reutine setup is completely different so not sure I'll like the same...definately plan on getting YSFE soon too!

I have the Michael Jackson Experience for the Wii and JUST got the BEP experience for the Kinect. There is no question that the Kinect version requires more accuracy and is more challenging but I think they are equally fun. I am about the worst dancer on this earth and still love all of those games. Kinect definitely knows if I'm sandbagging. Wii seems to want to give me credit for at least jumping around like a fool.
    Also...my son bought the BEPE for me yesterday at Walmart for $9 and just last week it was $19 so You may find it for very cheap for either console.

ALSO I wanted to give my first impression for UFC Trainer for Kinect. I just got that today from Amazon and it was pretty cheap but if you are looking to burn calories with a tough workout, you'll have to spend a whole lot of time doing it on this game. You can't skip some of the cut scenes and talking and for no apparent reason, when I'm in the middle of an interval, it skips to the pause screen. I asked someone else to watch the screen to see if my head or other appendage hit's pause when I'm doing pushups or situps and they can't figure it out etiher.

Just to compare....I wore my Fitbit and spent 42 minutes doing UFC trainer workouts and it registered 113 calories burned.

Then I played Kinect Sports (mostly soccer) for 42 minutes and Fitbit registered 269 Calories burned (I do jump around and scream "GOALLLLLLL" like a fool every time I score) .

I'm guessing that once I get through every workout with all three trainers, I'll have a better idea of how to do custom workouts and maybe it will let me skip the cut scenes but I just felt like I'd have to be there for hours before I felt like I had a good workout. Good for strength and balance but not so much cardio maybe.
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options

I have the Michael Jackson Experience for the Wii and JUST got the BEP experience for the Kinect. There is no question that the Kinect version requires more accuracy and is more challenging but I think they are equally fun. I am about the worst dancer on this earth and still love all of those games. Kinect definitely knows if I'm sandbagging. Wii seems to want to give me credit for at least jumping around like a fool.
    Also...my son bought the BEPE for me yesterday at Walmart for $9 and just last week it was $19 so You may find it for very cheap for either console.

ALSO I wanted to give my first impression for UFC Trainer for Kinect. I just got that today from Amazon and it was pretty cheap but if you are looking to burn calories with a tough workout, you'll have to spend a whole lot of time doing it on this game. You can't skip some of the cut scenes and talking and for no apparent reason, when I'm in the middle of an interval, it skips to the pause screen. I asked someone else to watch the screen to see if my head or other appendage hit's pause when I'm doing pushups or situps and they can't figure it out etiher.

Just to compare....I wore my Fitbit and spent 42 minutes doing UFC trainer workouts and it registered 113 calories burned.

Then I played Kinect Sports (mostly soccer) for 42 minutes and Fitbit registered 269 Calories burned (I do jump around and scream "GOALLLLLLL" like a fool every time I score) .

I'm guessing that once I get through every workout with all three trainers, I'll have a better idea of how to do custom workouts and maybe it will let me skip the cut scenes but I just felt like I'd have to be there for hours before I felt like I had a good workout. Good for strength and balance but not so much cardio maybe.

You know, I am not so sure this fitbit thing works very well for actual calories. It's only logging steps and I feel like I need to get a HRM for exercise.

Any of you use one of these and if so, what's your thoughts on which is best to use and how to use it?
  • _Laughter
    _Laughter Posts: 17
    Options
    Hate running?

http://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Now you don't! It's is such a freaking blast using this app. I hate running but now I look forward to running so I can continue my zombie story.
  • ValkyrieFD
    Options
    I'm sure some of you have seen it on my feed, but I am streaming some JD workouts if you want to join me on my channel some times. Past recordings can be found here if you can't make the live streams and are great quick cardio workouts that are a ton of fun (at least I think so) http://www.twitch.tv/valkyrie_fd/videos?kind=highlights

I will be doing more games to work out to soon <3
  • boldantpro
    boldantpro Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What about mobile games? I saw "zombies run" above. Or "Burn your fat with me" wish they had calorie counting games too.